Vote to buy 2 more submarines sparks public uproar

webfact

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Regardless, one has to question why Thailand needs submarines at all? 

They'll be building ski slopes in Esan next!

Chelseafan - I note your confusion, but let me explain my post:-

There are millions of people in Thailand that are probably absolutely over the moon (Not!) that their Government has decided to spend 22.8 billion baht on submarines when a lot of them have to line up on the streets just to get something to eat, which by the way more often than not is provided by/acquired by "dirty farangs" (At least where I live!)

Do you think that they care a jot about the fact that a Sea-wolf class submarine costs $2.8 BILLION and a Virginia class $1.8 BILLION?

Just trying to put things in perspective a bit - in the current situation, I would have thought that the last thing to worry about would be an attack by sea from a foreign power!!!  

20 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

22.5bill baht = $713m dollars or $357m per submarine.

Quite a deal when you consider a Sea-wolf class submarine cost $2.8 BILLION and a Virginia class $1.8 BILLION

Yeah. If they're that good a deal why aren't the Americans and everyone else buying them? 555. At this stage of the world economy such ideas are Lala land Territory.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, sambum said:

Chelseafan - I note your confusion, but let me explain my post:-

There are millions of people in Thailand that are probably absolutely over the moon (Not!) that their Government has decided to spend 22.8 billion baht on submarines when a lot of them have to line up on the streets just to get something to eat, which by the way more often than not is provided by/acquired by "dirty farangs" (At least where I live!)

Do you think that they care a jot about the fact that a Sea-wolf class submarine costs $2.8 BILLION and a Virginia class $1.8 BILLION?

Just trying to put things in perspective a bit - in the current situation, I would have thought that the last thing to worry about would be an attack by sea from a foreign power!!!  

I think you missed the sarcasm in my post ????

Firstly I am completely aware that this a a complete waste of money and even more so given that people are going hungry, losing jobs and their homes.

Secondly my sarcasm was really aimed at the fact that the final figure will NOT be 22.8billion. Its far too cheap for two fully functional submarines. It will be interesting to know what the final cost is once they are manned and at sea (if ever) and also what the ongoing running costs are.

Edited by Chelseafan

I'm trying to think of ways to save money on these submarines, then it came to me.

Thai Airways have plenty of surplus aircraft so only need to remove the tail-fin and the main body of a submarine is ready for fabrication.  I've just saved Thailand at least half a billion dollars which can be used to feed the poor for the next six months.

On 8/24/2020 at 4:50 AM, Chelseafan said:

Quite a deal when you consider a Sea-wolf class submarine cost $2.8 BILLION and a Virginia class $1.8 BILLION

Maybe you get what you pay for.I hope they can reach the dizzy depths of 200 ft in the gulf..My liable to hit an offshore O%G installation. They probably don't have red flashing lights below the surface.

Ah, but these are Chinese subs with no price tag on them.

Sure,but they are likely just putzing around the Gulf,no serious trans-continental excursions.....looks like something the Cartel would use in their export business.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:01 PM, British Bulldog said:

Big Boys with Big Toys - Ironically, the Bay of Thailand of 320,000 km2, only has an average water depth of 58m's ... the enemy wouldn't require special sub detecting missiles, you would see them cruising along in that depth of water ! ????

And I hope their navigation training is superb , there's a few oil platforms, pipelines etc down there.....

On 8/24/2020 at 3:27 AM, Xonax said:

Investments in submarines, high speed trains etcetera seems to be all about the kickbacks. 

The good thing about submarines is that they are supposed to be hidden. Do they really exist?

Come on, fellers, this is an outstanding announcement that will, at a stroke, solve the unemployment problem by putting ten million people to work on the procurement of massive stocks of baking powder.  I also believe that one submarine is to replace the aircraft carrier which may have developed some teensie weensie little holes in the basement. Or they can just pull the plug out and convert it to a quarantine hotel with direct flights.

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

The good thing about submarines is that they are supposed to be hidden. Do they really exist?

Good point.  Paint a different number on the first every couple of years and say its a new one. "The others are all on patrol and only come in for service occasionally or just briefly at night."   Multi billions to share around.    Better still, maybe just borrow the same one occasionally and show it as new or in dock.  Memo to Admiralty.  "Check the numbers & painted insignia each time and try to remember to keep a record."

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1