Thai tourist arrivals tumble 71% year-on-year in January-July amid outbreak

webfact

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Where I live it's looking pretty desperate we do have a lot of long term expats live in this area so some places are doing ok but there is no tourist I see lots of hotels have not bothered to open

Sums it up pretty much. 

But these clowns still don't get it. 

Thousands of people like myself and just want to get back to Thailand, and like you support the Thai family and community. 

It's a no brainer. 

Throw in self quarantine and there's another 50,000 baht to be spent by the returnees.

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, rskdev said:

And how much are the hotel rates you will be paying per night at the government picked hotels. Probably more than normal. They don't even say how much the room rates will be. Another way to fleece the tourist.

About 4500 a night averaged. 

There's already 3 in Phuket that are approved. 

The 3rd week is up to you.

Can go bargain basement. 

It's just a goodwill gesture for Phuket community. 

• Like 2

Pipat needs to be replaced within the next 24 hours. If the toxic army cared one iota about the Thai people, they would be searching for a competent and creative mind to lead the tourism ministry, rather than this mental midget. 

ALL people from ALL nations should be allowed to come, as long as they are willing to subject themselves to quarantine. Period. No other requirements or restrictions. No heinous, punitive, or humiliating requests for permission from the overseas consulates. Who are we? Kids begging for play time? Or tourists willing to spend a bundle to help save Thailand's economy? 

This is the time for the arrogant ministers and members of this toxic administration to be humble. Is this possible? Is this not a reality check and a wake up call? Are these guys capable of learning and adapting? 

• Like 2

Its time Thailand realised that the long term expats working overseas and living in Thailand are a main piece of the tourist income and are pumping huge amounts of foriegn earnings into the country but are not allowed back to see their families, Forget the hair brained schemes for the holidaying tourist, let the working expats back in and quarantine in their homes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I wonder if there statistics on tourists are not a little off. Do they add in arrivals to all of the airports only on international flights and only those that have come from out of the country and through immigration. Or are they adding in all people at all airports. Case in point, I fly into BKK and then fly the next day to Udon Thani, exit into Laos and return the next day. Am I counted 3 times, 2 times or just once.  Its still just me, so in reality I am the same tourist.  If I went back and forth across the border to shop in Laos or Cambodia, but had a 30 day hotel here, and did these trips 15 times would they count me 15 times. The answer is yes, so the stats are skewed. Just like a Non Imm O ME visa holder who border bounces 4 times during the year but lives here with his wife and kids, he is counted 4 times.

If you hold a Non-O visa you are not counted as a tourist at all.

Believe it or not, only tourist visa holders are counted as tourists.

All others, diplomats, business, Elite, etc. are excluded. 

June July 2020 Arrivals.xlsx

Let tourism czar Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn keep on dreaming.

"Two million foreign visitors were expected between October and March, as other parts of the country adopt similar arrangements to Phuket."

11'100 new arrivals, every single day, in Phuket? Take 15% away going through the ordeal at Swampi or Don Meuaoiung airports; still leaves 9'400+ tourist arrivals - each an every day until end of March. 

It might help to open the borders in a controlled and professional matter; why should I spend two weeks in an overpriced quarantine, then be restricted to Phuket under further conditions for another week. The average stay of a tourist is not three weeks but less than a week - go figure. 

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I wonder if there statistics on tourists are not a little off. Do they add in arrivals to all of the airports only on international flights and only those that have come from out of the country and through immigration. Or are they adding in all people at all airports. Case in point, I fly into BKK and then fly the next day to Udon Thani, exit into Laos and return the next day. Am I counted 3 times, 2 times or just once.  Its still just me, so in reality I am the same tourist.  If I went back and forth across the border to shop in Laos or Cambodia, but had a 30 day hotel here, and did these trips 15 times would they count me 15 times. The answer is yes, so the stats are skewed. Just like a Non Imm O ME visa holder who border bounces 4 times during the year but lives here with his wife and kids, he is counted 4 times.

Every country calculates the arrivals the same way. It's a bit of brute force method, but also the simplest. The more important number to look at is change in arrivals from year to year. You can assume that the distribution of arrival types - multiple arrivals by same person, transit, border bounces, stays about the same, so the year on year increase (or decrease) of tourists gives a valid number.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Hi. Sorry, this is very common but poor thinking. Extrapolating based on an exceptionally narrow anecdote is not a robust thought process.

Just thinking it through logically, how many places were you NOT during your trip? How many places could you NOT see?

I think the point many of us make about Thai domestic tourists is that it is highly unlikely they will ever replace the foreign tourist spend. After all, Thailand has based a huge chunk (up to 30% and perhaps more if gray and black market activities are included) of their GDP on foreign tourism. If you can show me a business case for replacing those economics with Thai domestic tourists, I'll send to the government, and they may make you Thai Prime Minister.

There are a couple of things to consider. There is an increase in domestic tourist income because Thais are not spending money on overseas trips, and, more importantly, the domestic tourism distributes income to the hardest hit tourism areas. It may not be enough to generate profits for all tourist businesses, but may help some of the stronger businesses survive until international tourism starts up again, and provide some jobs to Thais in the tourist industry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The statistics may be 'skewed' but if TAT uses the same counting methodology year after year it doesn't really matter if you are just looking at the number of arrivals.  The arrivals have been increasing each year except for a decrease in 2009 and 2014.  When fewer people arrived that was reflected in those two years.  I can't speak for other places but Pattaya was very busy in 2019.  

41 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

If you hold a Non-O visa you are not counted as a tourist at all.

Believe it or not, only tourist visa holders are counted as tourists.

All others, diplomats, business, Elite, etc. are excluded. 

June July 2020 Arrivals.xlsx 415.05 kB · 3 downloads

Why would Thailandelite members not included? They are definitely tourists.

Further more they are on the chart you provided, no?

• Like 1

I live in Northern Thailand and believe me finding a tourist is like is like finding

a 100 baht note on the side walk. Just maybe after a new vaccine comes out things

might start to open,as long as the vaccine don't come from China we might be ok.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

There are a couple of things to consider. There is an increase in domestic tourist income because Thais are not spending money on overseas trips, and, more importantly, the domestic tourism distributes income to the hardest hit tourism areas. It may not be enough to generate profits for all tourist businesses, but may help some of the stronger businesses survive until international tourism starts up again, and provide some jobs to Thais in the tourist industry. 

Agree that there are many things to consider. 

I would bet the downward pressure of job losses, depressed incomes for those still working and hard hit exports to be dull the relatively small Thai domestic tourism spend for now. 

At any rate, without the actual data, we are all just speculating. The reveal will be whether the government is still crying and begging daily for foreign tourism solutions as they have been for the last 6 months. 

A person working one hour a week for there parent's farm is considered employed so I doubt that non-O Visa returnees are excluded from TAT figures. In fact I have never seen the methodology of the counting of tourist arrivals. Even now they are using a seven month period to avoid stating that arrivals for July are 99% down.

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

It’s hard to feel any sympathy for their predicament when they continue with their hare-brained schemes convincing themselves that people who don’t want to go to Phuket are going to put up with being quarantined in a hotel for 2 weeks. 

Then have to stay another week just to squeeze a bit more out of you before you can move on. Add to that the 2 weeks when they get back, that’s five weeks wasted before you have your holiday. What tourists do they actually think will put up with this?

For sure, there will be a few desperate souls who will pay and put up with anything to see their Teerak once again and stay for a few months but 2 million? Even if they do extend it to other areas I can’t see those numbers. 

Get real. 

It’s a cert Brits and Aussies won’t as the will have to add a further 2 weeks on to their isolation on return too

best Thailand can hope for will be a few business people with Thai commitments and nothing more

With the rules being put in place then can’t see much more than a few euros coming in .. Certainly not sightseers

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, alyx said:

Why would Thailandelite members not included? They are definitely tourists.

Further more they are on the chart you provided, no?

Only column "I" and "AD" are counted as tourists by TAT.

Using numbers from a relative normal months, January  2020, these two groups represent 89.3% of all foreign arrivals.

Elite holders were less than 0.01%.