Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

On 8/26/2020 at 1:58 PM, aussiexpat said:

I sold a house yesterday and still won't pay for their 21 day prison in Phuket to get back to Thailand, that's when I realised I may never come back ????

There is no 21 day quarenteen it's only 14 and will probably be reduced in the future. Just wait till the restrictions and conditions are relaxed/changed.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

There is no 21 day quarenteen it's only 14 and will probably be reduced in the future. Just wait till the restrictions and conditions are relaxed/changed.

Its 14 days in an ASQ and then another week in hotel of your choice before being allowed to leave Phuket island if your Covid test is negative on day 21

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

As a normal guy, I don't really want to know.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You are like General Custer at the little Big Horn in among those emoticans swimfan. :cheesy:

Quoting your own posts and then replying to them is a sign of serious W.T.(F) ! ????

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Quoting your own posts and then replying to them is a sign of serious W.T.(F) ! ????

Here we have another poster who thinks he is sending text messages, why don't you print

what these initials mean? ????

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Here we have another poster who thinks he is sending text messages, why don't you print

what these initials mean? ????

Because TV doesn't allow it maybe ? Something to do with the rules.

And I've been around long enough to know the difference between a post and a text.

Just now, Kerryd said:

Because TV doesn't allow it maybe ? Something to do with the rules.

And I've been around long enough to know the difference between a post and a text.

If it is against the rules then why even print the initials, no I am not going to put in a report.

I have 5 friends who have given up on Pattaya over the last few years who all stayed in Thailand 10 to 15 years as renters.

3 retired americans and 1 uk returned home to be closer to medical care they trusted. Late 60's early 70's age. The attitudes of locals soured and they no longer felt welcomed when going out.  

A younger Australian, 40 returned after noticing the locals attitudes turned negative.

I still have many friends returning each year.  But under the current 3 ring circus of restrictions none are planning to return.

And the friends still in country, most are delaying trips home until less burdensome travel requirements and additional costs are lifted.

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Nothing said:

The attitudes of locals soured and they no longer felt welcomed when going out.  

Never understood this, I don't come here to interact with the locals beyond simple commerce, and all the shopkeepers and 'service providers' seem happy enough to take my money.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Never understood this, I don't come here to interact with the locals beyond simple commerce, and all the shopkeepers and 'service providers' seem happy enough to take my money.

Not hard to understand. I first noticed it 5 years ago when my normal "sexy man" call became "Papa". Damn it, I thought I was still young ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

i agree, they like us because of the money we spend, it's as simple as that, I don't care what they really think, I'm sure many despise falang but again who cares

• Like 2

4 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

And to call Australia communist is absolutely ridiculous. Australia is a free democracy, which cares for the well being of its citizens and is taking all necessary measures to ensure their health, just as other „ communist“ countries like New Zealand, Germany and other developed states.

The issue is that about 6 months ago the oz govt said we should all return home.

I didnt. Im glad i didnt because if i did i would be stuck there trying to scrape by instead of being in malaysia working and earning money.

I cannot believe they refuse to let people fly out. Fly in yes. But not fly out.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

3 retired americans and 1 uk returned home to be closer to medical care they trusted. Late 60's early 70's age. al costs are lifted.

Health care here is great, I'm sure they would have stayed if they could have afforded the insurance.

But convincing yourself its trust is fine if it makes you feel better I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

If I was to live in a condo full time I wouldn't want a studio either.  Just too small and cramped. 

Studios can be 50+ metres, i lived in a hotel for a year+ was fine you get used to it, doesn't feel small or cramped, it's all in the mind

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 hours ago, JackThompson said:

They didn't "lock down" and destroy their lives and economies, because that would have been insane.  Many watched their children die of those diseases - yet still, they accepted this was a part of life.

Different times, far different attitudes and behaviours. Far more tolerant of loss of life, taking of life and subjugation of minorities and discrimination. The pendulum swings and maybe we are a little too far to the left now.

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

People who are into ladyboys are absolutely positively not heterosexual. A lot of them seem to think they are and therefore they think all heterosexual guys think that way, which we most definitely do not.  I think most of them are in denial about their own sexuality and are bisexual at a minimum.  A ladyboy gives them the satisfaction of a man and a woman at the same time.

It appears that the grumpy old gay man's club in Jomtien is in denial about the overlay of their Thai "partners," with the countless Thai transvestites operating on the Beach Rd..  

On 8/26/2020 at 11:05 PM, Chivas said:

I haven't given up on Pattaya but have red carded it for 2 years with a hopeful return in the Autumn of 2022 by which time I'd "expect" to have seen a vaccine up and running with a high take up

No vaccine becoming available in general then frankly Thailand is over

They certainly dont need the Tourist Dollar to balance the books what with the huge (massive in fact) increase in FGR since the Pandemic started and borders closed

Why are you referring to forest growers research and how does it impact Pattaya?

• Confused 1

If you're happy with living here the fact that others are choosing to throw the towel in now has its benefits. Fewer one year visas being issued will hopefully lessen the prospect of any significant restriction or change to the requirements on that front for the forseeable future, especially if the level of tourism recovery is going to pan out as long as some govt ministers or official bodies suggest.

I'm personally hoping for another decade of easy living here at which point I'll return to my native country for what I regard as better healthcare treatment if required. The best laid plans and all that.... 

7 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

I am not an Australian, although I know it quite well. If I were one I would be ashamed to compare a liberal democratic country like Australia to the darkest dictatorship, North Korea.

You may or may not agree to the measures taken by your government, but even you must admit that the Australian government is taking such measures that it considers essential to safe guard the health of its citizens

And it’s citizens out of the country? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Olmate said:

20 minutes ago, Olmate said:

They, the government, deems it necessary, as it probably wants to protect its citizens of getting infected when outside Australia. You should not forget that the virus re-emerged after the strict measures had been relaxed. Again one may, or may not agree with the measures taken, one can‘t and allow me to say, should NOT,  compare a country like Australia to a dark dictatorship. I have been to quite a few parts of the world and believe me, many people in quite a few countries would be happy to have the liberties enjoyed by residents and citizens of Australia.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1