Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Anybody seen any tank bags for sale that would fit the CBR150?

I'm about to start a 4000km journey around Thailand and don't want to carry a large backpack this time.

Thanks in advance!

Can't help you with the tank bag mac but please post a report of your trip. 4000km,what sort of time scale you looking at?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jbeck nailed the differences pretty much spot on. The PWK is designed more for motorcross work, in fact it's a favourite of those who ride a CRF 150. A 'softer' midrange is exactly the right thing when you're on one of those bikes.

I also agree with jbeck about the troll; but I'm always spoiling for a good fight and sometimes just need to vent. Sorry the thread got a bit off topic but y'all rescued it.

phobic; thanks for sharing the path you took to get your carbs running right. Should anyone else do the same they at least have a baseline and won't have to be guessing (plus you probably saved some people money). If the grips are too small you can always get bigger ones....

mac.wheeler; I use the Rapid Transport Recon 19 tankbag. Cost me some 80 USD ordered from Dennis Kirk last year. Magnetic so it swaps over to my Ninja. Has a phone pouch (but I don't use it since the sun makes a phone's screen black--my ciggies get stashed there instead), map pouch (also not used because I have GPS), side pockets (nice for gloves and a bottle of *ahem* water), big area inside for various items to fit a tinted/clear visor, a waterproof cover that comes out and 'bungee' cords over the bag, and finally a rehydration sack area with clips for securing the tube on the side (a Camelback sack fits in nicely). Also it has clips and a strap system to use as a backpack-handy when you stop to get something to eat since you can just carry your tank bag inside with you.

phobic; thanks for sharing the path you took to get your carbs running right. Should anyone else do the same they at least have a baseline and won't have to be guessing (plus you probably saved some people money). If the grips are too small you can always get bigger ones....

The grips are no problem for me, but i just wanted to warn the big-handed folk :)

I'm not responding to the OP "Why not buy a proper motorbike", but to the flurry of responses.

As a cbr150 forum I think the original post, and posts like it, should simply be ignored.

The OP was not useful, was an unsolicited, untrue, opinionated, load of you-know-what without any merit, proof at all.

What an id***t. Sorry, but it's true.

Let's ignore these!

thanks.

Great idea jbeck. That post/response string and the one last year from the "I hope I never see the day" guy really didn't do any good for anyone, especially the OP. When newbies come on here and ask questions, it is great to help them get started and on the right path. It is easy to keep it positive when you ignore the idiots. I'm in.....

Anybody seen any tank bags for sale that would fit the CBR150?

I'm about to start a 4000km journey around Thailand and don't want to carry a large backpack this time.

Thanks in advance!

Can't help you with the tank bag mac but please post a report of your trip. 4000km,what sort of time scale you looking at?

I'm leaving Surin next Monday or Tuesday and have 4-5 weeks free, so it's not going to be a hard ride, just a little road trip to re-discover Thailand :)

jbeck nailed the differences pretty much spot on. The PWK is designed more for motorcross work, in fact it's a favourite of those who ride a CRF 150. A 'softer' midrange is exactly the right thing when you're on one of those bikes.

I also agree with jbeck about the troll; but I'm always spoiling for a good fight and sometimes just need to vent. Sorry the thread got a bit off topic but y'all rescued it.

mac.wheeler; I use the Rapid Transport Recon 19 tankbag. Cost me some 80 USD ordered from Dennis Kirk last year. Magnetic so it swaps over to my Ninja. Has a phone pouch (but I don't use it since the sun makes a phone's screen black--my ciggies get stashed there instead), map pouch (also not used because I have GPS), side pockets (nice for gloves and a bottle of *ahem* water), big area inside for various items to fit a tinted/clear visor, a waterproof cover that comes out and 'bungee' cords over the bag, and finally a rehydration sack area with clips for securing the tube on the side (a Camelback sack fits in nicely). Also it has clips and a strap system to use as a backpack-handy when you stop to get something to eat since you can just carry your tank bag inside with you.

That's a nice bag Dave, did they ship it over? How long did it take to arrive?

Tankbag: I ordered from Dennis Kirk and got a small size with magnets. Barely held a six-pack; used it daily for years. Think small

I have a tank bag that Honda sold here in Thailand for the CBR 150 a few years ago. Believe I paid about Baht 400. A little bit bigger than 6-pack size with multiple pockets. Magnetic. Also has a top strap for carrying and thin backpack straps which should be cut off as they interfere with the magnets. I use it everyday.

Worth going to a few Honda dealers to poke around or inquire about ordering.

looking for people to ride doi suthep pretty much any time of day, or day of the week. . .

PM me.

I guess i should also add you want to go fast, not a sight seeing tour..

I live near Pratu Chiang Mai can meet anywhere around CM.

Jeff

Well here goes, I've read every post in this thread, utterly fascinating. The enthusiasm of all you CBR150 owners is infectious.

I'm looking to buy a newish 2nd hand one and would like your advice as to what to look out for when deciding.

Simple questions like how would one know if it has been dropped.

Earlier someone said a 1 year old with 3K on the clock at 47K is suspicious. So how do you prove to yourself it is a genuine sale?

Even if I test drove it I wouldn't have a clue as I've never ridden one before.

That's a nice bag Dave, did they ship it over? How long did it take to arrive?

I work in the Middle East and they shipped it over there. Took about a week or so.

Well here goes, I've read every post in this thread, utterly fascinating. The enthusiasm of all you CBR150 owners is infectious.

I'm looking to buy a newish 2nd hand one and would like your advice as to what to look out for when deciding.

Simple questions like how would one know if it has been dropped.

Earlier someone said a 1 year old with 3K on the clock at 47K is suspicious. So how do you prove to yourself it is a genuine sale?

Even if I test drove it I wouldn't have a clue as I've never ridden one before.

To know how it's been dropped; just look at the bar ends. Scratches means it's kissed pavement. The CBR 150R is so narrow that it take quite a hel_l of a lay down to get to the plastic; the exhuast and pillion footpegs take the brunt of a laydown. Also check the body panels to ensure there's no major/uneven gaps as this indicates that either their mounting tabs aren't correct or somebody doesn't know how to put the panels on after taking them off (either way a scary thought).

Check the brake pads/discs. Should have plenty of material and no scoring. While riding the bike, get it into 3rd and open the throttle up all the way; does the engine rev (and perhaps stall a bit and rev again) but the bike doesn't move forward at the same rate? Might need clutch work. Take along a bit of clean white cloth and put the oil dipstick on it so you can see the colour of the oil and whether there are any metal shavings in it. Some people clean the bike up really well to hide leaks; take the bike for a shakedown ride and stop off at a 7-11 and get something to drink/smoke a ciggie/whatever and look for a leak.

Really these bikes are bullet-proof; I'd doubt after a year and that few miles there'd be any issues.

That sale price is actually a decent one; with Kawasaki bringing their big bikes you'll get a lot of people dumping what they had and finally (hopefully) bring an end to the insanity that is the resale market in LOS. None-the-less, make sure you have a Thai speaker around and they can tell you the green book is actually in that person's name.

As I am in Chiang Rai there ain't so much choice here. Like yesterday I went to test drive a 5 year old one nearby from a street side shop, and they had to push start the thing. They really don't have any gumption do they, probably had less than half a litre of petrol as well. I didn't bother with it. The ask was 39K.

Tankbag: I ordered from Dennis Kirk and got a small size with magnets. Barely held a six-pack; used it daily for years. Think small

Peace. Unless you have a credit card there is no point using Dennis kirk. It's very strange that they do not offer Paypal on their website. I use Newenough.com very quick service and good prices. Not as good a range as they are a clearout company. Allan

So in my search for a CBR I went to Phan, and Honda dealer there had loads of bikes some still in their polywrap, new cruisers from China called Zongshen they were. My missus instantly likes them and I don't , knowing the rep of Chinese bikes. Get back home and look up Zongshen on the internet only to find the following, could hardly read it for laughing........

Oct Why you should never buy Zongshen Motorbikes

Author: GuyMcLaren | Category: I say

Worst motorbike in the world.

I made the worst decision of my life when I decided to buy a Zongshen 200 as a run about. I bought the Zongshen from the Kawasaki dealer in Nelspruit, thinking that a bike with a 3 month guarantee, that has done only 850kms cannot be a bad buy. That was about 4 months ago. In that time I have added less than 200kms to the mileage traveled.

As this bike is supplied without engine mount dampers, seriously they have bolted the engine to the frame without any kind of vibration damping, shit keeps falling off the bike.

I was riding along and the exhaust suddenly dropped 3 inches. I replaced the bolt. The next 40 k’s or so were uneventful then the ignition fell off. The bike stood in my garage for a bit as I was disgusted and didn’t have time to get the bike fixed.

I had it fixed last week as I needed transport due to car trouble. In the week I have had to replace the numberplate which fell off because the rattling and vibration actually tore the number plate. I heard something vibrating and have been unable to find the source of the rattle.

On Wednesday night the bike just stopped. Now I want you to not that this is not some old rattle trap but a bike that has done 942 km’s. I am feeling seriously like I was ripped off.

If you need reliable transport for your kid to get to school and back on stay away from Zongshen motorbikes.

What I don't get is why Honda clutter up their forecourt with such rubbish, can only be money.

One eye.

The Zongshen range in Thailand does not currently have a 200cc bike, So a bit pointless with the post, also when was it, where is the link to the article.

The bike you saw was a Zongshen pursuit 125 price 55,000b with lots of extras like front crash bars rear rack and passenger foot platforms. It is a very well made bike which you would have seen if you had looked.

I met a lady from Udon at the Koen Kaen bike show who had one of these bikes and she was very pleased with it. Her husband had a Honda Phantom and i gotta say i think the Zongshen was better made than the Phantom (83,000b).

Also on speaking to the couple they seemed to think that they were pretty close in performance, Their words not mine. I think they are friends of Ray23.

For a lady rider or someone that wants a comfortable ride around town i think they are ideal. If my missus could use a clutch i would consider one for her.

Allan

I also found this on the Zongshen website.

According to Zongsheng's updated market investigation, some unrecognizable motorcycle producers counterfeited and are counterfeiting Zongsheng motorcycle engines and motorcycles. These illegal producers sold and are selling the counterfeited Zongsheng motorcycle engines and motorcycles in the name of Zongsheng the Original Equipment Manufacturer. These counterfeiting actions seriously infringe the intellectual property rights and the business goodwill of Zongsheng.

For the benefit of the users, any buyers of Zongsheng motorcycle engines or motorcycles can send the serial number of the motorcycle engines and motorcycle frames to the following email address to testify whether the products are the original products of Zongsheng Motorcycle Company. Zongsheng will be grateful to your understanding of the incontinences hereof arose.

Edited by thaicbr

One eye.

The Zongshen range in Thailand does not currently have a 200cc bike, So a bit pointless with the post, also when was it, where is the link to the article.

The bike you saw was a Zongshen pursuit 125 price 55,000b with lots of extras like front crash bars rear rack and passenger foot platforms. It is a very well made bike which you would have seen if you had looked.

I met a lady from Udon at the Koen Kaen bike show who had one of these bikes and she was very pleased with it. Her husband had a Honda Phantom and i gotta say i think the Zongshen was better made than the Phantom (83,000b).

Also on speaking to the couple they seemed to think that they were pretty close in performance, Their words not mine. I think they are friends of Ray23.

For a lady rider or someone that wants a comfortable ride around town i think they are ideal. If my missus could use a clutch i would consider one for her.

Allan

I also found this on the Zongshen website.

According to Zongsheng's updated market investigation, some unrecognizable motorcycle producers counterfeited and are counterfeiting Zongsheng motorcycle engines and motorcycles. These illegal producers sold and are selling the counterfeited Zongsheng motorcycle engines and motorcycles in the name of Zongsheng the Original Equipment Manufacturer. These counterfeiting actions seriously infringe the intellectual property rights and the business goodwill of Zongsheng.

For the benefit of the users, any buyers of Zongsheng motorcycle engines or motorcycles can send the serial number of the motorcycle engines and motorcycle frames to the following email address to testify whether the products are the original products of Zongsheng Motorcycle Company. Zongsheng will be grateful to your understanding of the incontinences hereof arose.

I'm a bit of snob when it comes to motorcycles, and while I understand that Western companies do source parts from China (and presumably have strict QA programmes in place that seem to be lacking in Chinese market vehicles), I wouldn't buy a Chinese bike.

It appears from the Wikipedia article that they're using old school Honda tech; I suppose that would be a plus assuming that they're not using the same molds/mills that Honda used.

And providing one example of an exception to the otherwise reported reputation of that company is like finding that one older Harley that doesn't shake it's bits and pieces off.....

P.S.; a company shouldn't use babelfish for their websites. I think they mean "your understanding of the inconveniences hereof arose" rather than saying that either KIRF Zongsheng bikes cause problems control your bodly fluids or lack of self control.

Incredible the number of our beloved CBR150s around now.

I did a quick trip Rayong to Udon last Wednesday...(by car as I was 4 people although I have ridden the bike several times on that trip) I Used route 304 to Korat so really a back way not a main road.

I saw about (I didnt do an actual count) 20 CBRs on the way to Udon. The other amazing thing...I saw a couple of Phantoms but NO other big bikes at all!!

Between Korat and Khon kaen there was a guy 2 up on the CBR, keeping pace with me at 120kph for most of that distance. I was surprised he could maintain that speed. Maybe the guy will recognise this tread as it had wire wheels so maybe some engine mods too??

Just wish Honda would put a 250 twin in the frame, larger rims, twin discs up front, cbr 125 fairings and lights. with a selling price around 100k.

Be the biggest selling little big bike in Thailand sure!!

After one break-in month on my original 2003 CBR150, I overtook Mercedes and Volvos in the right lane at i30 kph. Still do. I'm surprised you saw that many CBR's and no bigger bikes.

Honda's long been overdue to improve the CBR150R. Maybe a 250 twin or a CBR170R with fuel injection and 22 hp.

Zongsheng. make parts for HD, Aprillia. Piaggio amongst others. And are one of the largest manufacturers of Bikes and Engines in China. And Dave you are a snob :):D

But being a snob is the only thing I have in my cold miserable life...

I did a quick trip Rayong to Udon last Wednesday...(by car as I was 4 people although I have ridden the bike several times on that trip) I Used route 304 to Korat so really a back way not a main road.

I saw about (I didnt do an actual count) 20 CBRs on the way to Udon. The other amazing thing...I saw a couple of Phantoms but NO other big bikes at all!!

Between Korat and Khon kaen there was a guy 2 up on the CBR, keeping pace with me at 120kph for most of that distance. I was surprised he could maintain that speed. Maybe the guy will recognise this tread as it had wire wheels so maybe some engine mods too??

Just wish Honda would put a 250 twin in the frame, larger rims, twin discs up front, cbr 125 fairings and lights. with a selling price around 100k.

Honda has a twin cylinder 250...the VTR 250. A naked bike in the style of the Ducati Monster, it's a v-twin. I'm hoping more for a in-line 250, or if the stars were right a 4 cylinder 250 a la the old CBR 250.

There's quite a few CBR 150s where I live; one day on the way down to Samut Prakarn I saw some dozen or so pass by...suppose they were on a ride. The local Kawi dealer has all sorts of 250+cc bikes, but so far I've only seen my Ninja in the area when riding (with the exception of mbox's Tiger Boxer). Funny thing is though there is a mooban where they have some big bikes, includin a V-Max, but I don't see anyone riding anything big there.

If you have ever wondered (and who hasn't!) what a bare CBR150 frame looks like, here it is. I’m not sure how I got my bike to this point, 2 months ago i handed it over for the 180cc rebore, one thing led to another ........ Anyway, even with all the work i will have a 'new' CBR180 that is about THB10k less than a new CBR150. It all starts going back together on Monday, hopefully!

post-70604-1251544034_thumb.jpg

Edited by taichiplanet

If you have ever wondered (and who hasn't!) what a bare CBR150 frame looks like, here it is. I'm not sure how I got my bike to this point, 2 months ago i handed it over for the 180cc rebore, one thing led to another ........ Anyway, even with all the work i will have a 'new' CBR180 that is about THB10k less than a new CBR150. It all starts going back together on Monday, hopefully!

post-70604-1251544034_thumb.jpg

I did this with an Airblade and now working on a Suzuki Raider, next will probably be a CBR.

I didn't go as far as you (bare frame), but for example, my airblade is one year old, and cost about 20,000 baht less than new.

And now costs about as much as a new one, but has tons of modifications including a racing engine, shocks, better brakes, tires, etc..

I think it makes sense to do it this way - 'full' modifications cost quite a bit on top of the purchase price.

Zongsheng. make parts for HD, Aprillia. Piaggio amongst others. And are one of the largest manufacturers of Bikes and Engines in China. And Dave you are a snob :):D

But being a snob is the only thing I have in my cold miserable life...

Honda has a twin cylinder 250...the VTR 250. A naked bike in the style of the Ducati Monster, it's a v-twin. I'm hoping more for a in-line 250, or if the stars were right a 4 cylinder 250 a la the old CBR 250.

There's quite a few CBR 150s where I live; one day on the way down to Samut Prakarn I saw some dozen or so pass by...suppose they were on a ride. The local Kawi dealer has all sorts of 250+cc bikes, but so far I've only seen my Ninja in the area when riding (with the exception of mbox's Tiger Boxer). Funny thing is though there is a mooban where they have some big bikes, includin a V-Max, but I don't see anyone riding anything big there.

Re Honda VTR 250........trouble is...freely available in Thailand?? I like the faired bikes much better and less wind buffeting etc so less tireing on a trip. Guess could add fairings tho.

I actually looked at a CBR250 4cyl a while ago.....perfect except too old and the old bogey about legit green books etc.

The NSR250.....45hp now youre talking!! A very nice one for sale in CM but at over 70K for a 20 year old bike....dont think so.

back on-topic - why is nobody up for a ride doi suthep on their beloved CBRs?

I'm available anytime, almost. . .

jbeck

I might be up for it. The hesitancy is probably because everyone has their own riding style. Some like to hit it hard/take a lot of risks and some like to smell the roses. As for me, there is too much traffic on Doi Suthep after about 8 AM. I ride my mountain bike up there at least once a week (Check out YouTube of a ride from last year

) and I'll pass one or two vehicles, but when I see four or five piled up, I just kick back and relax. Some of the guys on this forum are pretty aggressive riders... the way I was 20 years ago.