Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

In the other thread here on TV Richard posted a flyer that essentially confirms the shindig. I'm not sold on that paint scheme though.

I indeed posted a flyer that confirms the event, but the event is maybe not what everybody expect. I hope that everybody going loves the Honda Scoopy-i and live Thai music.

The party announced on the flyer is the anniversary party for the Honda Scoopy-i, and is supported and sponsored by Thai tourist Authority. Will they introduce new motorcycles? Who knows...maybe we will also see some new colors for the Scoopy-i

Ok, I had my wife read and translate the flyer that was posted on here and she confirms that they WILL be showing the new CBR 150, but that it didn't say anything about the 250.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Richard. My Honda dealer manager has been told that defo they are showing the new big bike releases at the Honda party. I'm still waiting to try and get some specs.

BUT the rumours both from here in Thailand and Australia are that the 250 is a VTR250 engined creation. Why they would call it a CBR i have no idea (other than the fact that Thai's have heard of the Cbr) Calling it a VTR250F would be better. But hey like i said rumours.

Edited by thaicbr

just . thats what i meant. the pictures 'seem' to be real. its the engine that 'may' be a vtr engine

The VTR engine with a higher degree of tune ( 38 to 40hp) would be a good choice,....... As long as it doesnt come with the VTR 5 speed box

But somehow I think economics will dictate its a single banger. and the exhausting in the pics we have seen (if real) seems to suggest the same.

In the other thread here on TV Richard posted a flyer that essentially confirms the shindig. I'm not sold on that paint scheme though.

I indeed posted a flyer that confirms the event, but the event is maybe not what everybody expect. I hope that everybody going loves the Honda Scoopy-i and live Thai music.

The party announced on the flyer is the anniversary party for the Honda Scoopy-i, and is supported and sponsored by Thai tourist Authority. Will they introduce new motorcycles? Who knows...maybe we will also see some new colors for the Scoopy-i

Ok, I had my wife read and translate the flyer that was posted on here and she confirms that they WILL be showing the new CBR 150, but that it didn't say anything about the 250.

Maybe your wife can explain where they say anything about a Honda CBR-150, or a new motorcycle? The only word you can understand as something new coming is that they say they have a surprise (but insiders have the idea that this has more the do with a surprise visit of a musical performance)...

post-12170-041567300 1286979125_thumb.jp

Edited by Richard-BKK

Maybe your wife can explain where they say anything about a Honda CBR-150, or a new motorcycle? The only word you can understand as something new coming is that they say they have a surprise (but insiders have the idea that this has more the do with a surprise visit of a musical performance)...

Ok, my "misquote" so to speak. I was talking about the "official announcement" of the shindig at the stadium in BKK on the 30th.

(but insiders have the idea that this has more the do with a surprise visit of a musical performance)

Well. The insider (a direct dealer) that the missus has spoken to has confirmed that he got a phone call from AP honda and then sent a picture via email of the bikes being shown. And he has stated that it's going to be the CBR150 and 250. Plus they may have plans for some other big bikes but it aint confirmed.

But saying all this i'm still waiting for specs B)

This is Thailand so any release depends on if the management get a good fortune teller reading or not!

Edited by thaicbr

The 250 probably wont be released in Thailand. Don't get your hopes up. It isn't likely.

I'm not so sure that's true. From what I read in an article the other day, Honda is actively going after the 250 market currently pretty much dominated by the Ninja. And while this article was talking about Indonesia for the most part, Honda has always been fairly smart when it comes to market strategy, and they know there is a niche in Thailand for the 250, even though it may be a small one for now. However, with the Honda brand name, along with the proper advertising, I think more people would go for a 250 from them than from Kawasaki, and that current, or even potential buyers of the 150 would also elect to "upgrade" to a 250. But that's just my opinion. For me personally, I would love a 250 CBR. But, if Honda decides not to bring one out in Thailand, I won't buy another 150, no matter what it looks like, and will go with the Ninja.

The 250 probably wont be released in Thailand. Don't get your hopes up. It isn't likely.

And what do you base this gem of information on?

On information from Honda franchise dealers.

The cost of introduction (mainly ensuring all Honda mechanics are trained to work with this specific, individual product)outweighs the forecast demand from a very small, niche market, that already has a stable product.

How many ninja250s have been sold? So little they won't actually release the numbers.

Edited by thomo

So they do what KAWASAKI did they release to BIG bike shops.

Namely KP Honda shops (AP's sales and service outlets) and other shops that can prove they have or are willing to train the mechanics. All controlled then.

Honda are not dumb they know that big bikes are going mainstream in Thailand the same as they are in other countries.

There is a tiered system of Honda dealers.

1)KP

2)direct sales (meaning they buy direct from Honda)

3)shops that buy from the very big direct sales/distributer

4) shops that buy from the other direct sales shops

Edited by thaicbr

one good thing about Honda. IF they do bring it out then i imagine the finance deal will be good. It is fairly good on the PCXrolleyes.gif

Hiya Peace. Hope ya doing wellwai.gif

ThaiCBR, did you ever find out anything about cam chain maintenance? (Forgive me if that was not you asking a while back.) My mechanic was doing the throttle cable maintenance on the bike a few weeks back and he pointed out a funny noise after revving the engine and recommended a new cam chain. He checked the cam chain tensioner and it was fine.

It might have been me. I do think that mine may need a chain but i have also been told by the vx forum that its a pretty normal sound for the engine. so i'm not going to worry (to much :D)

Yeah, I am going to have mine replaced in the next month, just for peace of mind before the wife and I head out on some longer cold-season trips. The engine does seem noisier than it has been in the past.

Edited by T_Dog

It might have been me. I do think that mine may need a chain but i have also been told by the vx forum that its a pretty normal sound for the engine. so i'm not going to worry (to much :D)

Yeah, I am going to have mine replaced in the next month, just for peace of mind before the wife and I head out on some longer cold-season trips. The engine does seem noisier than it has been in the past.

hey T_Dog what sort of milage have u clocked up on the bike?? I cant get any info on when to change??

I have close to 42000km now and think?? Im due for a cam chain replacement. Plus an airbox/ filter clean, new plug and new drive chain etc. Buit if there is a new model released end of this month I think I will just buy a new bike instead. use that service cost money towards the new bike.

hey T_Dog what sort of milage have u clocked up on the bike?? I cant get any info on when to change??

I have close to 42000km now and think?? Im due for a cam chain replacement. Plus an airbox/ filter clean, new plug and new drive chain etc. Buit if there is a new model released end of this month I think I will just buy a new bike instead. use that service cost money towards the new bike.

I've got 37,000 km on it if it was accurate when I bought it. It might have more as it had some problems I had to fix when I bought it which surprised me for it only having 5000 km on the clock.

My mechanic says that the cam chain should be replaced at 35,000 km. Nothing about that in any manual I have seen, but that sounds like an appropriate figure.

Buying a new bike would be great, especially if it had 100 extra cc's and an additional cylinder!

What's the cam chain? How much should it cost? and what will having a new one do?

Cheers.

Im no mechanic ...but the cam chain is what connects the crankshaft to the cam shaft which is what determines the timeing and lift of the valves...keeps the timeing in co-odination.

If it breaks........there is the high probability that the valves open when should be shut.......punching out the top of the pistins and the resulting explosion of your engine. Ive never seen, but heard that basicly your engine is hardly worth scrap value.

I am not too concerned at my milage as I change oil at every 2000km and although I drive reasonably hard and fast I dont thrash the engine. Mostly (but not always) I try keep the revs in the 6000 to 8000 band but is constant at those reves. I do 100km every day, mix of city and open road running with lots of green light starts where I accelerate briskly to get a jump on the melee of traffic behind me.

Like I mentioned previously I would like spend the service (that I now need) fee cost towards buying a new bike. I also have 3500 new tyre cost coming up in 2 months so maybe a total of about 8000 B that I can put towards the new bike.

Like T-Dog my first 150 I bought was showing 5000km (2 years old) but it had brand new tyres fitted so I was pretty certain that it had done more than that. (before I bought it) I found out subsequently it had been resparyed which is why it looked in such immaculate condition, and the peg rubbers were totaly worn out by about 35000km It also started using oil by about 35000km. My new bike did 32000km on the original IRC tyres . and at now at 42000km the peg rubbers are still ok and oil level remains constant between changes, so I think maybe the first bike had done well over 20 to 30000km when I bought it.

If the new release addresses the inadequate lights, better top fairing and of course FI ...then it can only enhance my view that it is by far the best small bike available.

However I would plump for a 250 in a flash.

Regarding cam chains and belts, I had a cam belt fail on a 2.5 liter Suburu Boxer GT. It simply bent the exhaust valves over and was pretty easy to fix with new guides and valves. That only happens on a zero-clearance engine, and some engines with valve-piston clearance have little damage if the cam chain or belt fails nicely.

If the chain gets bound up between the housings and sprockets, that is a different matter. As fast as the CBR150 revs, I don't think the unlikely and rare event of a cam chain failing would be very pretty.

I had the same problem that T_Dog had, however mine was on a BMW 328e, and the solution was the same.

One thing to consider is that if there is enough play in the timing chain that your timing itself gets off. I.E., instead of the cam being rotated exactly the degree, in the time alloted, that a new cam chain would rotate it, it takes a little bit longer to catch up. The chain would jump before it got bad enough not to run, but it will affect the overall running of your engine...

I also have 3500 new tyre cost coming up in 2 months

Which tyres? I get Michelin Pilot Sporty or whatever they're called from the Honda dealer in Saphan Kwai for 900b front, and 1,200b rear. With the rear being 110 width. Have never driven on a better set of tyres in my life.

med_gallery_30440_1319_105128.jpg

Edited by thomo

thomo. thats REALLY cheap for sporty's.

I forget the actual price now, may have been 3200 for a set of Pirellis. (included frieght from Bkk to Rayong) One oversize. Im quite happy with them.

The reason I went for the Pirrellis was that from posts it appeared that the Michelin Pilot Sportys lasted about 6 to 8000Km. Thats only a bit more than 2 months running for me. I couldnt see me forking out for a new set every 2 months!!

The Pirellis have already done 10000 and I estimate have another 5000 left in the rear. If you work that out, its cheaper than the sporties. But really not a significant difference. I had 32000 out of the original IRCs and the mechanics couldnt understand why i wanted to change, According to them "still a lot of km left yet" Not for me in wet rconditions!!!! But I noticed the IRCs were whipped out of sight very quickly!!

Be interesting to see what tyres come standard on the new bikes?? Only 2 weeks to wait.......I hope