What is it about COVID 19 that has the World and Thailand in particular so scared?

Thomas J

This is a simple math.

Containing the virus will cost Thailand a lot....and I mean a lot less than a bad press if the virus was spreading like in India. Just imagine the hub of international healthcare being truly exposed for what it really is if people and elderly were dropping like files because hospitals were unable or more likely unwilling to treat the patients. 

7 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

A lot of countries hyped it right up initially so they could get a high level of compliance with the measures. The media played along and hyped it even more, good for business they probably thought. The early video emerging of Chinese authoritarian, panic welding people in homes etc contributed to the internet wave. A lot of conflicting information and jumbled messages later, madness in the USA all contribute. Either here or in Australia which I follow closely every single new case is the subject of completely irrational behaviour by the leadership. This is picked up on by people who dont have much rational thought processes going on. Not many people seem capable of thinking things through in any way, before panicking. I do wonder if there is a difference between female and male reactions, only anecdotally I have friends in Australia in areas where there are no cases whose wives wont let them in the house because they work in essential industries. In one case she bought a camp shower, now thinking of buying a caravan for him after he rejected her idea of getting a builder to knock a hole in the wall so he could access his bedroom from outside. He's essentially living in an open area downstairs, his meals are left outside. I'd have left. A lot of the social media fear is both sexes, hard to say, haven't counted or anything. Also the female premiers and health advisers, + Ardern in NZ seem extraordinarily cautious to me. And sure maybe thats a good thing just wondered. And of course the endlessly dangling carrot of a vaccine is almost cargo cultist.

'Cargo cultist'?

On 8/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, Surelynot said:

HIV is, but it would be your own fault if you contracted it; 

You Surelynot mean that...you might be surprised to learn that sex is not the only way to become HIV+ and sometimes it doesn't take two to tango  

50 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

If it just kills people then it wont be as successful.

ok.. but this one doesn't just kill people - it kills some but in others it lingers asymptomatic and people who don't know they have it, do the work of spreading it... rather clever I think... 

• Like 1

Oh goody, not had one of these for a long time....maybe there is only 58 deaths because the response they adopted contained the virus...you just imagine if open borders with 3 million visitors a month crammed in buses, clubs and restaurants....that 58 could well be 58,000 and probably a lot more....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Not in any proper sense, just the idea of waiting, doing nothing, hoping that the cargo "vaccine" will turn up to save them

Vaccines are coming, it's just a matter of time and it won't be that long either.