I've seen the grim reality of Thailand without tourists – and it isn't pretty

webfact

7 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Your numbers relate to ten of thousands, not millions and single industries. Tourism covers a much wider area than steel making. We just bought cheaper steel from elsewhere.

I think your comparisons are not appropriate, in this instance.

Yes , I agree the numbers are overall smaller. And yes we did buy steel from other countries that then cost the UK through lack of export revenue. However the impact on certain areas were devastating, just as the lack of tourists is hitting the likes of Pattaya here.  I'm in no way suggesting this is easy for anyone in the tourist business here and I would welcome a quick return to relative normality. I spend a few days each month down in Cha Am and have noticed the girly bar area is almost dead, but the beach at the weekend, the market and overall business has resumed to a degree.

My point was that loosing your business or having a major economic driver change in your industry is not unique.

11 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What are you thinking? Did you read what you wrote?

18% of GDP and not vital?? 4,000,000 people out of work and not vital??

7 people thanked you because they live in a bubble where they are not affected.

Just because you don't see the suffering doesn't mean that no one is suffering. Some people will take advantage of the situation, buying up assets cheap, but that doesn't mean that millions are not suffering because of the collapse of the tourism industry.

Total Tourism is approx 18% of GDP including domestic Tourism, International incoming Tourism accounts for between 7-9% of GDP at the moment Thai's that used to go overseas for the vacation's are more than likely to spend their vacation time in Thailand

which will reduce the impact of international tourism down to 5-7% of GDP

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Think on this, over 40 million Thais live in rural locations that never see a tourist and don't need them for their local economy.  Don't get tourism out of proportion.  It is less than 18% of GDP and not absolutely vital to Thailand. Watch this space. It may all virtually end and I dont think that many Thais will cry any tears if it does. At the very least, it may be confined to a few restricted areas only, such as Phuket and Pattaya. 

Where did you get those stats from? It is much larger than that in tourist areas. No one is talking about mountain locations.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

On the bright side?  It will be wonderful this high-season to head out to tour Thailand and have most of the tourist spots all to ourselves - deserted beaches?  Perfect!

OMG. YES! Enjoying every minute of it, whilst appreciating the hard times it brings to the Thai nation. 

Generous tipping is my tiny way of compensating them

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What are you thinking? Did you read what you wrote?

18% of GDP and not vital?? 4,000,000 people out of work and not vital??

7 people thanked you because they live in a bubble where they are not affected.

Just because you don't see the suffering doesn't mean that no one is suffering. Some people will take advantage of the situation, buying up assets cheap, but that doesn't mean that millions are not suffering because of the collapse of the tourism industry.

SPOT ON

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

You are missing the point.....that tourism money flows into the government coffers.....if it stops you will all be worse off regardless of how little you have been affected currently......funds will either not be available or you will have to pay more tax.

You are missing the point too

Thailand has a very large leeway

VAT is only 7% and the public debt is under 35%

in my country of origin (France) VAT is 19% and public debt is 100%

it's the same thing (Or even worse) in almost all the western ''rich''

countries where everybody seems to think everything is ok

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Think on this, over 40 million Thais live in rural locations that never see a tourist and don't need them for their local economy.  Don't get tourism out of proportion.  It is less than 18% of GDP and not absolutely vital to Thailand. Watch this space. It may all virtually end and I dont think that many Thais will cry any tears if it does. At the very least, it may be confined to a few restricted areas only, such as Phuket and Pattaya. 

Just not ever seeing a tourist doesn't mean that they're not affected but the absence. Family members working in cities send money home. That's just one example of an indirect benefit or reliance on tourism.

Would YOU be willing to take an 18% hit on your income?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You are missing the point too

Thailand has a very large leeway

VAT is only 7% and the public debt is under 35%

in my country of origin (France) VAT is 19% and public debt is 100%

it's the same thing (Or even worse) in almost all the western ''rich''

countries where everybody seems to think everything is ok

Thailand doesn't provide welfare, VAT/tax is more in the west to fund welfare.

• Like 2

Just now, rumak said:

First of all.... kudos to the writer for not saying anything trite and actually presenting a pretty darn good

assessment of the situation ( i am in CM  and he is right on about the complete lack of tourists here).

On one hand I shout   great !   nice to be back to the good old days.   Tourism does, and IMO has spoiled many of the nice things I remember from "the good ole days" .   Gone are the obnoxious ( small percent, but always noticeable)  ones that flock to the hot spots.

Was out walking in the Jungle with a Thai lady (early 50s) In CM who owns a tourism company, hasn't had any work for 7 months now. Her company used to operate trips to Japan for Thai people and make a good profit.

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Strong baht, Fit to Fly letter, visas, covid certificate, quarantine, phone tracking, health insurance, tax on leaving, dual pricing, restricted travel.....add this to reduced incomes tourists now suffer and general concerns over health and safety issues even before covid......tourism is dead in the water.

Tourism is only a direct issue for Pattya   Phuket and CM etc but most Thais in Issan or the south never see foreigners.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Where did you get those stats from? It is much larger than that in tourist areas. No one is talking about mountain locations.

Issan is not a mountain location. Its is agrarian with a population of over 20 million people who never see foreigners.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Nout said:

Tourism is only a direct issue for Pattya   Phuket and CM etc but most Thais in Issan or the south never see foreigners.

Money still trickles downward through the economy.

The south sees plenty of foreigners, it's just that they are Malays

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

OMG. YES! Enjoying every minute of it, whilst appreciating the hard times it brings to the Thai nation. 

i think you could have found a better word than "appreciating" ........  but i get what you meant

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand doesn't provide welfare, VAT/tax is more in the west to fund welfare.

It's not completely true

of course the welfare in Thailand is very far from the ones in the west

but at some point there is a welfare existing, the 30 bahts health scheme

the pension paid monthly to old people and the disabled, free state schools

and even a financial help for the ones losing their jobs.

''Up to four million formal workers affected by the Covid-19 pandemic are expected to apply for unemployment benefits, says the Social Security Office.

Spokeswoman Pitsamai Nithipaiboon said 1.2 million formal workers had registered for unemployment benefits as of Tuesday, and 500,000 had been examined and verified. Ms Pitsamai said the office anticipates the number of applicants to soar to between 3 million-4 million if the Covid-19 situation worsens.

A total of 11 million workers are insured under Section 33 of the Social Security Act, while about two million do not qualify for unemployment benefits because they have been contributing to the social security fund for less than six months, she said. The rate for formal workers amounts to 62% of daily wages and the maximum compensation period is capped at 90 days. About 8,000 jobless workers received their first payment on Monday.

Ms Pitsamai said that while unemployment benefits during the Covid-19 pandemic can be handed out for up to six months, the SSO will stop making payments when workers are able to return to work. "This is not a one-time payment," she said. "The compensation is paid monthly.''

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Was out walking in the Jungle with a Thai lady (early 50s) In CM who owns a tourism company, hasn't had any work for 7 months now. Her company used to operate trips to Japan for Thai people and make a good profit.

Favorite disney movie

16 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

It's not completely true

of course the welfare in Thailand is very far from the ones in the west

but at some point there is a welfare existing, the 30 bahts health scheme

the pension paid monthly to old people and the disabled, free state schools

and even a financial help for the ones losing their jobs.

Not being American, I've never thought of free health care as welfare, it's available to rich and poor alike in most civilised countries.

Is government schooling welfare?, I don't think so as it's equally available to both rich and poor.

Oddly enough the Thai 'free state schools' aren't all that free any more, under Prayut the charges at my local government school have risen from nothing to 6kbht/term.

Welfare, is something you get when 

1) you are poor (and female)

2) you haven't contributed anything

And is usually only available for women (single parents) and their kids, although the occasional man may qualify.

I've always found it a bit odd that most men don't understand welfare is essentially a system designed to take from men, to give to women in a gynocentric society.

Thai government SS is more of a government run insurance IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo