Thailand's entire tourism industry will collapse if foreign tourists are not allowed back, industry leader

webfact

10 minutes ago, elliss said:

Correct . 

That said , i don't think the Major decision makers , give a hoot about Thai tourism ..

11 minutes ago, elliss said:

11 minutes ago, elliss said:

i can only talk about europe but all these tourists myself included have more than thailand hurdles to jump to ensure its possible to go on a semi normal holiday anywhere.

Uk for example allow uk residents to go on holiday in europe only to be given 48hrs notice to get back or face 14 day quarantine on return to uk.

Switzerland was added to list on thursday evening you had till 4am saturday to return great?

My point is if you only have a certain time and even money gone is the certainty of setting off for 3 weeks and ready to start work directly on return

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, elliss said:

Correct . 

That said , i don't think the Major decision makers , give a hoot about Thai tourism ..

What are they going to do with the huge airport in Bangkok and everyone who works there and all the transport infrastructure. I believe they have just extended the airport and plan to build 2 more runways ?

They do give a hoot they just don’t know how to move on and deal with current situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

According to the Phuket Model, tourists will be allowed to land on the island, but they will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine first and their travel zones will be limited. Entry will also only be limited to tourists from Covid-free countries.

Covid free? Where?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Have to disagree that's it's a shame. Thai tourism was in serious doodoo before corona was even thought about. Maya Bay closed because of too many tourists, Chiang Mai congested with too many tourists, Pattaya congested with too many tourists etc etc etc.

Chinese mass tourism is NOT the answer, IMO. Thailand has many natural attractions and many man made ones- develop quality tourism over quantity tourism is the answer IMO. They have at least 6 months and more likely a year or more to develop the infrastructure to attract the sort of tourist that isn't interested in areas congested by hordes of tourists rushing from restaurant to a gem shop to a cheap clothes shop to a restaurant etc etc etc.

Sadly, I don't think they care enough to spend the money needed to transition. Pity.

One thing to remember is that for a few billion Chinese & Indians Thailand is a short-haul destination. Similar to how the Mediterranean is for northern Europeans. Also, whatever we think of them, their Baht is just as good as anyone else's

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Agreed its not going to happen overnight but the gov/tat/civil service need to have a strategy over a ten years period to achieve "quality". The need to influence the market with tax incentives, immigration reform, sector tax reform, value propositions, marketing and the rest of the tools in their chest to move the market percentage split so the "quality" percentage starts to rise and other area maybe decline. All sectors will still be there just in different ratios.

If they get the policy side right businesses will adapt accordingly. Vietnam and Cambodia, et al are probably positioned already to poach away some parts of the current "lower end" tourism market. Thailand needs to position itself to cater for newer or financially more beneficial sectors.

The problem I can see with a 10 year plan is that the people with experience will be up to 10 years older and will have to exist on nothing until jobs become available. There may not be that many left alive in 10 years time and those that are will not really be interested in coming back. Salaries will be the bare minimum that the old/new owners are willing to pay. The current and coming students may not want to do the jobs at those salaries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

One thing to remember is that for a few billion Chinese & Indians Thailand is a short-haul destination. Similar to how the Mediterranean is for northern Europeans. Also, whatever we think of them, their Baht is just as good as anyone else's

right on,and forget that urban myth about them being a bit carefull round a rupee,was in a bar once and a large group of indians came in and ordered a round of drinks, one bottle of leo and eleven straws.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What are they going to do with the huge airport in Bangkok and everyone who works there and all the transport infrastructure. I believe they have just extended the airport and plan to build 2 more runways ?

They do give a hoot they just don’t know how to move on and deal with current situation.

Good place to store Gold .. 

Under the redundant , runaways ..

Most get why they cannot allow visitation.  If it explodes the detriments to the economy will be staggeringly worse.  

Speaking from where I come from, getting a COVID test 72 hours before travel is simply not possible.  Nor would it really be plausible or really possible to get insurance.  And frankly, nor would I want to go to Thailand.  

Get used to it, tourism isn't going anywhere earth wide, full stop.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, natalibera said:

Do they really think people will flood back in Thailand under these conditions? I suppose Thais would have serious problems, even if they open the country unconditionally (shortage of spare money due to covid, coronaphobia, inability of scheduling timely the trip et c.)

Of course not.  Furthermore, people will we bringing the virus in in staggering numbers.  Not to mention when they go home they have quarantines they must go through too which are costly.  Get on a plane, you HAVE to quarantine no matter what your test says at the time.  

The ***t sandwich is what all tourism based economies are eating right now.  

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Finally someone who makes sense.  I don't know what the government could possibly be thinking if they believe that a tourist will come to Thailand, first be tested as fit to fly, then purchase an insurance policy covering up to $100,000 USD then quarantine for 14 days.  Would they do it to travel to a different country?  NO.  

If they don't open up tourism soon, those dependent on it will go bankrupt and close.  If after that happens and the government sees the error of their policy it is too late.  There will be far fewer attractions to draw tourists.  The hotels, restaurants, bars, night clubs, shows, attractions etc. will not be there.  Just common sense. 

Of course they won't come back, the consideration of quarantine is just the tip of the iceberg, the rest of the world are deep in the covid crisis and travelling is the furthest thing from most peoples minds. Although additional reasons for limited long haul travel are not required there is also the financial consideration with many people out of work or self employed being short of cash.. This is going to be with us for a long time and Thailand is going to have to fend for itself for some time... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

So sorry for the millions of Thais thrown out of work and foreigners unable to return to their Thai families or partners, but on an entirely selfish level I have to admit I rather enjoy the quiet and peaceful situation with no foreign tourists. Those who yearn for the return of mass tourism please speak up.

I do, I also yearn for an end to covid. World peace would be nice, land reform and environmentalism are also on my list. I have no issues with your point if view, its your point of view after all. 

But you didn't want to know what I think did you, just wanted to create another TVF stir ;+) We may not be as dumb as you think we are? Or may be we are? But wait you are one of "us" also are you not? Are we?

Edited by MRToMRT

13 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Finally someone who makes sense.  I don't know what the government could possibly be thinking if they believe that a tourist will come to Thailand, first be tested as fit to fly, then purchase an insurance policy covering up to $100,000 USD then quarantine for 14 days.  Would they do it to travel to a different country?  NO.  

If they don't open up tourism soon, those dependent on it will go bankrupt and close.  If after that happens and the government sees the error of their policy it is too late.  There will be far fewer attractions to draw tourists.  The hotels, restaurants, bars, night clubs, shows, attractions etc. will not be there.  Just common sense. 

So much for conspiracy theory, don't worry - as i said, they just open their own hotels when others are broke. 

Meanwhile restaurant bookings in germany are already recovering... up 9% from last year. 

EgmCfqTXYAEzYpv.png

14 hours ago, leicesterguyuk said:

The vast majority of imported covid cases are coming from Thais returning in quarantine. The number of cases from returning foreigners is tiny. And it's because Thais don't have to provide a negative test before flying. 

If the Thai authorities are genuinely that concerned about local transmission and a second wave, why are they not insisting everyone has a negative test before flying? 

COVID Thai not same same the COVID farang. Covid Thai less danger na. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Seems my embassy agrees with my sentiment that they finally will need to find a sustainable way for tourism, need to reinvent themselves and threat everyone the same. 

The sooner they start, the better. 

The second the first low cost flight from China full of tourists lands they will be right back up to their old tricks. Mass, mass and more mass, to hell with sustainability. This time Chinese might put a stop to it though. Here's to hoping.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, leicesterguyuk said:

The vast majority of imported covid cases are coming from Thais returning in quarantine. The number of cases from returning foreigners is tiny. And it's because Thais don't have to provide a negative test before flying. 

If the Thai authorities are genuinely that concerned about local transmission and a second wave, why are they not insisting everyone has a negative test before flying? 

Is it similar to how soldiers an vip are immune to the virus?

8 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

So much for conspiracy theory, don't worry - as i said, they just open their own hotels when others are broke. 

Meanwhile restaurant bookings in germany are already recovering... up 9% from last year. 

EgmCfqTXYAEzYpv.png

open table the reservation booking company,wouldn,t have a vested interest  by any chance?,book early to avoid disappointment,thats why i never post links.