Thailand's entire tourism industry will collapse if foreign tourists are not allowed back, industry leader

webfact

5 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Every 5 minutes there's someone else crying about foreign tourism. I wonder why they have not seen that the Thais will pick up the slack with domestic tourism and their big spending @sandyf

IMHO domestic tourism will not and cannot replace international tourism. All you are doing is shifting money from one part of Thailand to another. Granted some Thais may fly but only domestically versus international flights which bring more foreign tourists and currency into the country. Domestic tourists won't be using tour buses, using massage parlours, eating street food, buying souvenirs and the many other things that international tourists do.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

truth is that there are many infected and sick thai people.

are there? where? not here in hua hin thats for sure. we work with staff from all the major hospitals here so trust me we'd hear, just as we heard back in march

truth is that the only way to live with this virus is the swedish way: to keep

all open, suffer some casualties and build herd immunity

but if as you say there are already many sick thai people here why the need to open?

truth is that many more thai people will die from poverty and starvation, if the

country will remain closed.

highly unlikely. outside of tourist ghettos thailand is business as usual, least it is where i live and have visited recently. markets are busy, restaurants are busy. thai centered business is doing well.

Same in North Korea, then ?

i joke, i not compare the full hard time with no freedom in North Korea with Thailand who is not a democracy, but ok... it is not a fascist country. There is a better place in Thailand and i love Thailand, for sure, but it seems to be not so courageous choices from government (not only Thai government, it seems to be a world panic situation, and sociologist demonstrate how this can happen so easy by the group of people in charge and the herd instinct of humans that makes them so apt to panic so easy) and i doubt it to be a best solution for economy, sure, my situation to be looked as a tourist when i am not a tourist make me feel like it is not really a model of intelligence who communicate with us, as it is totally not respectful and inappropriate to not be able to make a difference with what can be see by everybody who open the eyes.

I can see a kind of panic attitude who is, most probably, the common task of majority of people in some many unknown new situation (and this demonstrate the real ability of them in the real life when something strong is happening).

Let's see next how good it turns if countries around the world who failed to be courageous will be in front tomorrow to decide something in a so strong business free market and apolitical world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, whitfield said:

Test within 72 hrs of departure, test on arrival, stay in your nominated hotel for 7 days, test again on 6th day.  If still clear free to roam.  Stop the stupid overcharging of moderate hotels and charge tourists 1,000 baht for the 2 tests.  That would bring back all those longstay tourists, especially those with property. But there must be hotels available in bkk, Phuket, Samui and Hua Hin as well.

i agree, restriction is something we can follow, but not to be blackmailed... we are not stupid nor rich as if we could come with our fly.

sure.

Who is not able to understand this ? Very strange...

8 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It has already collapsed, and it started long before covid19. 

Right, with more than $60 billion revenue per annum, 10% growth year on year up to last year and ranking 4th place in the world in terms of revenue. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Here's where Thais deserve some praise. They are able to "downshift" pretty well and the looting scenarios aren't as common as, say, in the US. 

Nothing to do with "Thai's doing well" and "downshifting". Thailand is a developing country, the poor don't have anywhere to "downshift" to. I mean no disrespect but I am guessing you have never been hungry and penniless and potentially homeless, this is what the workers in Thailand face. People get desperate when you need to eat and feed your kids, Thailands pride has nothing to do with it. Nature is nature... USA may have less tolerance then Thai people to falling income and poverty but that's simply because they have been living fat and plentiful for generations, Thailand has not had this luxurious lifestyle. The USA is sliding down and in my opinion is not the worlds leading economy in the near future but that's another story... 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

the thai really think about tourists and foreigners only in terms of money and power.

they are thinking: those who are allready here are here because they are too poor to

get back to their countries, or do not have much to go back to.

but the new tourists that will come will have to afford an expensive 14 day quarantine, so

they surely will have more spending power.

it is as simple as that.

The story time is showing them that they are dreaming and that they are thinking wrong on this way.

It is as simple as it is: a kind of no world wide experience life of baby's dream.

Everybody all around the world is fighting to get a dignity life (only a very very low minority of humans was born with full money provisioned from daddy and have a yacht, a fly or what ever show they don't care too much other life).

4 hours ago, Greenhill said:

Learn some skills that are required by the modern world economy!!

Such as what skills and where will all 4 to 20,000,000 go to learn all these wonderful skills and at what price?

I doubt that there are many schools and colleges set up for this and they sure won't be free.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

They don't know nothing soon the tee broke.l will never go back. I have plenty of money and wouldn't give that army 1 baht

The government in place right now is not demonstrative of large majority of Thailand citizen.

Thailand is a still nice country with a very nice human culture. there is sure some ability to start some bad turn, and it can goes wrong like in all other countries when the head has a problem, for sure. But the large majority of people is in pain right now with them.

Defend Thailand is not about defend a minority on power (who are, most of the time, out of the international law).

To love Thailand is to defend Thailand culture and people.

To hope the best for them.

sometime, i think myself that maybe i am wrong to thinking that we should be very courageous and to not panic, to care about and have o life with problems, then find humans and social reliable solutions (who should care about some sacrifices and middle diplomatic positions, most of the time)... i really hope the best for Thailand and humanity widely.

The history will quickly show us what is the reality of the life, all over the world. I still thinking that the more intelligent and courageous one who do not panic and care his human's brothers will be the winner, because that is our DNA best markers in the history time to make us go ahead (the other finished by fall down drastically).

It looks to me like a international reality from the first beginning of the Hearth planet, long times ago before humanity already.

3 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Judging by this video which was filmed either yesterday or today, Phuket airport could do with some tourists.

thank you for share real facts by images. That's it.

I would prefer for Thailand an other one reality, but looks like we are all on the same effect when we do the same choices. As simple true as it is.

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

A lot of the cheap bars and hotels in Pattaya were already on the verge of collapsing before the pandemic. I doubt if they'll be missed by many.

Apart perhaps by the people that used to work there, the people who kept the bars running with ice, beer, spirits, local hoteliers, restaurants etc.

Ah you are right, they won't be missed by many.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Apart perhaps by the people that used to work there, the people who kept the bars running with ice, beer, spirits, local hoteliers, restaurants etc.

Ah you are right, they won't be missed by many.

This is the real knock on effect that many people disregard, the supply chains to any failed businesses. It's the same in city centres where people are working from home, local businesses around offices are struggling or closing in the UK and other countries.

The list goes on, motorcycle taxis, taxis, cleaners, food suppliers, security staff and goes all the way back to electric companies, water companies and collection of taxes/vat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Phuket example will not work!

Majority of people have only two to three weeks of holiday. They will not come here and spend two weeks in quarantine. In addition it will cost them loads of money.

Please think again. You need to change your strategy.

Thailand needs to live with covid-19. 5 months of shout down is enough. koh Samui is already on it's knees. Bankruptcy means thais loosing their jobs. their children will not be able to continue their school. Parents will be hungry. The entire social structure is in crumbling. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Finally someone with the *alls and vision to say it as it is. This means that if this is true then the PM and TAT have been lying all the time.

It probably has already collapsed but the longer it gores on the less likely hood of a speedy recovery. It is a shame either way.

THere are realities that the Thai government can't accept. 

Alaready you see in the USA many retailers are going under. Who will have expected tat Hertz file bankruptcy. Hertz is considered part of te tourism industry.

Thailand will and may hae followed suit. 

There is no way any company will spend money on noreturn or very little no matter how much money they have.

What the government is doin is giving people a "fake" hope and not a sense of reality.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

It really is a catch 22. I think the Thais are realizing that the GDP was grossly understated when it comes to how much tourists actually do for the economy. Wake up call!

Exactly, tourism 18-20% of GDP? More like 20-30% 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kaneko86 said:

I really hope it will collapse and let's not look away finding excuses. It's all the government's fault.

A bit far fetched to blame the Thai government for Covid. Don't like the buzzards either but one has to admit that with regards to this pandemic they've done a lot better then the rulers of some very prominent western democracies.

11 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

This is the real knock on effect that many people disregard, the supply chains to any failed businesses. It's the same in city centres where people are working from home, local businesses around offices are struggling or closing in the UK and other countries.

The list goes on, motorcycle taxis, taxis, cleaners, food suppliers, security staff and goes all the way back to electric companies, water companies and collection of taxes/vat.

I feel that the governmet is hiding the real number of infections. They started a propaganda mission to blame their infection on the dirty farang and convinced the public of that.

The quarantine is totally stupid .The only people who are suffering are the returning thais.

living abroad any want to come back and enjoy a month of fun in thailand. They have to pay Bht 70,000 to just enter the door. _NO WAY IT WILL HAPPEN.

Farangs - not coming either .. the rich farangs have a 2 week vacation, and the poor are the backpackers --they do not have the upfront money to come in.

The japanese- are not going to get stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks either. unless they can do the business from the hotels

The chinesse--they don't have time and money.. they go on vacation unless it is a cheap place to go..that will not happenned.

For the sex tourists travellers -  people can go to the philippinnes.. they got cheap honeys there.

The government will not change their mind.. and it is coming from the Royal positon higher up in the government. the economy is totally down the drain.. the bank is pushing the baht higher and ther is no guarantee that a country can control th virus. SO for thailand being on standstill position  with no stimulus to help their people and being proud of no new case ,they are going on a dangerous path. 

The goernment wants to stop the flow of farangs and increase the flow of chinese. that what they were doing last year with all their stupid immigration policies. They did not realize yet that only  the farangs spend more money than any other tourist groups.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No it won't totally collapse, same as airlines, the planes will be just bought by companies that know how to run a business.

Some will benefit from this "cleanup". Time to reposition yourself if you work in tourism. 

The worst is yet to come. You can’t expect things to be normal when 1.4 trillion baht of tourism revenue is virtually wiped out - just from international tourism alone (2019 international tourism revenue was 1.9 trillion). We’re sitting at about 30% of target for domestic tourism revenue. 2019 revenue was 1.3 trillion for domestic tourism, so that means around 400 billion baht. 

These factors alone make your claim about the tourism industry not collapsing ludicrous at best.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

The government in place right now is not demonstrative of large majority of Thailand citizen.

Thailand is a still nice country with a very nice human culture. there is sure some ability to start some bad turn, and it can goes wrong like in all other countries when the head has a problem, for sure. But the large majority of people is in pain right now with them.

Defend Thailand is not about defend a minority on power (who are, most of the time, out of the international law).

To love Thailand is to defend Thailand culture and people.

To hope the best for them.

sometime, i think myself that maybe i am wrong to thinking that we should be very courageous and to not panic, to care about and have o life with problems, then find humans and social reliable solutions (who should care about some sacrifices and middle diplomatic positions, most of the time)... i really hope the best for Thailand and humanity widely.

The history will quickly show us what is the reality of the life, all over the world. I still thinking that the more intelligent and courageous one who do not panic and care his human's brothers will be the winner, because that is our DNA best markers in the history time to make us go ahead (the other finished by fall down drastically).

It looks to me like a international reality from the first beginning of the Hearth planet, long times ago before humanity already.

I m in agreemnt, i to have faith in human nature despite how things can sometimes appear. However I do not find Thai people, particularly in tourist areas very friendly nowadays. Foreigners are very much treated like ATM machines and scamming a foreigner is not only NOT frowned upon the Thai people seem to celebrate it thinking foreigners are stupid with too much money. Of course over my years of living and working in Thailand I have met many decent people who see me as a person but also equally as many who do not. I wish them well but I suspect the tourist industry was already declining before Covid and Thailand needs to modernise itself and re invent itself to get through these troubled times... Anyway, just my personal observation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, samsensam said:

agree, from the feedback it seems the embassies and consulates around the world have been pretty confused, disorganised and inefficient in arranging/processing repatriation flights for a few hundred thai nationals, how on earth are they going to cope with hundreds of thousands of tourists?

thailand loves bureaucracy, it gives them a feeling of safety and security, however they are not good at defining, communicating and managing processes.

"Ignorance can be overcome by education, but arrogance is more difficult to combat. When combined, arrogant ignorance is virtually impossible to defeat."

Not sure who said it originally but it seems to fit.......

1 hour ago, goatfarmer said:

Right, with more than $60 billion revenue per annum, 10% growth year on year up to last year and ranking 4th place in the world in terms of revenue. 

Firstly i will never believe any numbers that come by way of the Thai authorities and that is where all Thai numbers come from. i was in Thailand for many years prior to Covid working in Lemchabang, living in Pattaya and the tourist numbers were way way down. The beach road was very clear, many restaraunts empty and bars going out of business. In the early years you couldnt move down beach road. It was very noticeable and in my view undeniable. The numbers into Bangkok airport are also not all tourists, it is a very popular airport for stop offs. I think people are going eleswhere long before Covid... Thailand also is not the top 4 destinations in the world, the true numbers that I saw many months ago put it in the top ten,, barely.. France, Spain, USA, China, UK to name a few all have bigger tourist numbers and of course much greater tourist income. In the UK Haethrow ariport alone equals Thai numbers, never mind Gatwick, Luton, Stanstead, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, etc,,,,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is now a dead prospect, shot down for all intensive purposes as it had to many unattainable movig parts needing to be hammered out. 

You could almost say the same about  even getting to Thailand at present what with the restrictions on who can enter combined with the paperwork, quarantine etc.

It's very difficult hammering moving parts out, whilst jumping through hoops at the same time!  ????

2 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

the thai really think about tourists and foreigners only in terms of money and power.

they are thinking: those who are allready here are here because they are too poor to

get back to their countries, or do not have much to go back to.

but the new tourists that will come will have to afford an expensive 14 day quarantine, so

they surely will have more spending power.

it is as simple as that.

Hardly! The people with spending power are usually smart enough to recognise VFM and intelligent enough to consider alternative venues.

Just because one can afford something, doesn't mean they want to waste their money on it!

• Like 1