New march on Washington embraces history on fraught anniversary of King's speech

rooster59

Doctor King advocated that all lives matter.

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!"

And yet today we are being told that only black lives matter.  No one else's.  Not Thai, not European, not Indo-asian, not Sino-asian, not Islander, not Hispanic, not aboriginal, not native American - only black lives.  And those of European decent, we are now told, are racists by virtue of the lack of pigmentation of their skin.  So yet we are judged by the "color of our skin" and not "the content of our character."  Sad!  :sad:

How did Doctor King's message become such a shambles?  Instead, it sounds as though many are celebrating Malcolm X and Louise Farrakhan because the current message being promoted sounds about the same as those originating within The Nation of Islam's doctrines.

Doctor King was a great man with a great message.  A message that I'm afraid is being eroded and lost to a more virulent form of racial divide. 

I stood by Doctor King and his message while he was alive.
I stand by Doctor King and his message today.
"I have a dream."

Image1.jpeg.267292964e174eda32f491aecf0724e3.jpeg

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2020 at 7:14 PM, Yasobill said:

Are you a US citizen or have you lived in the US as an expat for years? If not, it would be hard for you know the truth!
Are you saying the US is a racist country? If so, than yes, you are confused. 
What you are getting wrong, is you believe what the media tells you is always fact...Well, hate to burst your bubble, but it’s not always fact. Very often it’s poor information or manipulated information. Check out the “entire George Floyd video” then make your assessment on that case. 

As a 58 year old American citizen, I ca assure you, the US is not a racist country! 

And you can take Yasobill's word as holy writ because he has been deputized by every American citizen to attest to this basic truth. Not one American citizen disagrees with him.

And you are to disregard the lies perpetrated by studies such as this:

Police stop fewer black drivers at night when a 'veil of darkness' obscures their race

"Study also finds that when drivers were pulled over, officers searched the cars of blacks and Hispanics more often than whites

The largest-ever study of alleged racial profiling during traffic stops has found that blacks, who are pulled over more frequently than whites by day, are much less likely to be stopped after sunset, when "a veil of darkness" masks their race.

That is one of several examples of systematic bias that emerged from a five-year study that analyzed 95 million traffic stop records, filed by officers with 21 state patrol agencies and 35 municipal police forces from 2011 to 2018."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200507094621.htm

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2020 at 7:01 PM, Orton Rd said:

King would have had nothing to do with the BLM Marxists- he was a republican. Trump has done more for blacks than even Obama did, far more.

Do you mean that he was a big "R" Republican or a small "r" republican? Because if you're asserting that King was a supporter of the Republican Party, that's just nuts. In 1964 he denounced the Presidential candidacy of Barry Goldwater who had voted against the Civil Rights Bill.

Edited by rcummings

On 8/29/2020 at 7:14 PM, Yasobill said:

Are you a US citizen or have you lived in the US as an expat for years? If not, it would be hard for you know the truth!
Are you saying the US is a racist country? If so, than yes, you are confused. 
What you are getting wrong, is you believe what the media tells you is always fact...Well, hate to burst your bubble, but it’s not always fact. Very often it’s poor information or manipulated information. Check out the “entire George Floyd video” then make your assessment on that case. 

As a 58 year old American citizen, I ca assure you, the US is not a racist country! 

On the contrary it is not necessary to be a US citizen or to have had long residence there to understand some of the major issues in the US.Indeed an outsider who studies another country deeply often has insights that a citizen of that country does not have access to.Possibly the greatest analyst of American society was a young French aristocrat, de Tocqueville: his insights are valued by American scholars and historians to this day.Some of the greatest analysts of Thai society have been American and British scholars.

Furthermore racists, killers and bigots never for a moment think of themselves as racists, killers or bigots.

With respect your assurance as a citizen that the US is not a racist country is worth, with respect, precisely nothing.If you are able to summon up some well thought out arguments, that would be another matter.But you have nothing of that sort.In my view as an outsider who has studied American history at degree level there is no doubt in my mind that race still bedevils American life, and that the weight of slavery still hangs heavy.

Quite willing to examine your reasoning but your call to "check out the entire George Floyd video" suggests that nothing very illuminating will emanate from your corner.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jayboy said:

On the contrary it is not necessary to be a US citizen or to have had long residence there to understand some of the major issues in the US.Indeed an outsider who studies another country deeply often has insights that a citizen of that country does not have access to.Possibly the greatest analyst of American society was a young French aristocrat, de Tocqueville: his insights are valued by American scholars and historians to this day.Some of the greatest analysts of Thai society have been American and British scholars.

Furthermore racists, killers and bigots never for a moment think of themselves as racists, killers or bigots.

With respect your assurance as a citizen that the US is not a racist country is worth, with respect, precisely nothing.If you are able to summon up some well thought out arguments, that would be another matter.But you have nothing of that sort.In my view as an outsider who has studied American history at degree level there is no doubt in my mind that race still bedevils American life, and that the weight of slavery still hangs heavy.

Quite willing to examine your reasoning but your call to "check out the entire George Floyd video" suggests that nothing very illuminating will emanate from your corner.

I respectfully beg to differ. If you want an accurate reflection of race issues in America, go live there and experience it. Otherwise you really don’t have a basis for reality on the issue. Only what the media decides to feed you. 

sure, you can quote a French man from the “19th century”, But are his reflections really accurate to current times? Likely not. That’s like saying Jules Vern is the architect of the space race.

Studying degree level history is fantastic. By the way, what year did you study History? History doesn’t reflect current times...it’s history! America has changed since the cultural revolution, thankfully so! Do we have further to go?..yes. 
There are pockets of racism in America, no doubt. Just as there are pockets of racism in the U.K., Germany, Japan and even Thailand...but to give America a blanket definition of a “racist country” is absolute incorrect! 
keep reading your history books and taking the mainstream media as the gospel and you’ll have a perfect view of Global societies.

Edited by Yasobill

42 minutes ago, Yasobill said:

I respectfully beg to differ. If you want an accurate reflection of race issues in America, go live there and experience it. Otherwise you really don’t have a basis for reality on the issue. Only what the media decides to feed you. 

sure, you can quote a French man from the “19th century”, But are his reflections really accurate to current times? Likely not. That’s like saying Jules Vern is the architect of the space race.

Studying degree level history is fantastic. By the way, what year did you study History? History doesn’t reflect current times...it’s history! America has changed since the cultural revolution, thankfully so! Do we have further to go?..yes. 
There are pockets of racism in America, no doubt. Just as there are pockets of racism in the U.K., Germany, Japan and even Thailand...but to give America a blanket definition of a “racist country” is absolute incorrect! 
keep reading your history books and taking the mainstream media as the gospel and you’ll have a perfect view of Global societies.

I didn't say America was a racist country.I said that race bedevils American life, a fact which only an ignoramus would deny.Clearly you have never heard of de Tocqueville so it's pointless discussing his significance with you (but yes his reflections remain extremely relevant). But on the more general issue the past does inform the present and attitudes are determined by a long history.For example the recent controversy over the Confederate flag and Confederate statues has a long history tracking back to the Civil War.I know there are millions of decent Americans without a trace of racism but that does not alter the essential facts.Again there is racism in every country but the US is unique in his legacy of slavery which still poisons the political arena.I'm no fan of BLM and although there's a truth at the heart of their movement, there's also irrelevant Leftist doctrine and third rate leadership.There will inevitably be a backlash and Trump will encourage/try to capitalise on this.Look I'm a fan of America and the principles enunciated by that extraordinary set of geniuses, the Founding Fathers (are these eighteenth century men irrelevant also in your opinion?)The principles of the American Constitution are universal ones.The alternatives to American leadership are repellent - China,Russia etc.The friends of America want the country to renew its position of moral authority

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I didn't say America was a racist country.I said that race bedevils American life, a fact which only an ignoramus would deny.Clearly you have never heard of de Tocqueville so it's pointless discussing his significance with you (but yes his reflections remain extremely relevant). But on the more general issue the past does inform the present and attitudes are determined by a long history.For example the recent controversy over the Confederate flag and Confederate statues has a long history tracking back to the Civil War.I know there are millions of decent Americans without a trace of racism but that does not alter the essential facts.Again there is racism in every country but the US is unique in his legacy of slavery which still poisons the political arena.I'm no fan of BLM and although there's a truth at the heart of their movement, there's also irrelevant Leftist doctrine and third rate leadership.There will inevitably be a backlash and Trump will encourage/try to capitalise on this.Look I'm a fan of America and the principles enunciated by that extraordinary set of geniuses, the Founding Fathers (are these eighteenth century men irrelevant also in your opinion?)The principles of the American Constitution are universal ones.The alternatives to American leadership are repellent - China,Russia etc.The friends of America want the country to renew its position of moral authority

True, I stand corrected on my statement regarding the accuracy of your comment...Apologies.

Additionally, believe it or not, but I actually agree with the majority of last post. De Tocqueville spoke of the tyranny of the majority, but what is occurring is a tyranny of the minority.

The minority being mainstream media and current Leadership & Political parties, right or left. They create much of this turmoil and “Racism”. It’s a joke! 
It has become quite intolerable! The American people must stand together to correct it.

Another issue that the MSM certainly isn’t promoting, but being spoken throughout America is our retraction from global conflicts. We are tired of our leaders herding our children to the meat grinder and emptying our coffers for the unappreciative and corrupt purposes, as I’m sure our allies are too.
We’re simply tired of being the world police. Time for someone else to take the role. The world should be far more concerned with this quiet movement than that of the fake BLM and the intentional chaos.

peace out!

Edited by Yasobill

16 hours ago, rcummings said:

And you can take Yasobill's word as holy writ because he has been deputized by every American citizen to attest to this basic truth. Not one American citizen disagrees with him.

And you are to disregard the lies perpetrated by studies such as this:

Police stop fewer black drivers at night when a 'veil of darkness' obscures their race

"Study also finds that when drivers were pulled over, officers searched the cars of blacks and Hispanics more often than whites

The largest-ever study of alleged racial profiling during traffic stops has found that blacks, who are pulled over more frequently than whites by day, are much less likely to be stopped after sunset, when "a veil of darkness" masks their race.

That is one of several examples of systematic bias that emerged from a five-year study that analyzed 95 million traffic stop records, filed by officers with 21 state patrol agencies and 35 municipal police forces from 2011 to 2018."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200507094621.htm

and of course we can all rely on crummings to the WWW search no copy & paste rescue...I’ll play along too
Here’s the actual Stanford Study, not a media reported and focused version. We 

https://5harad.com/papers/traffic-stops.pdf
People of color do lead the way in many categories but is it always due to racist police officers or policy? I’m sure RCummings will know the answer and see my actions as pure racist rhetoric, but who cares what he/she thinks.

Edited by Yasobill