Italy sends help to Banksy's overloaded migrant rescue boat

rooster59

Just now, JustAnotherHun said:

International maritime rules do not say the rescuers have to give "those in trouble" a free ride to the european welfare system.

So pick them up and bring them back to where they boarded. Mission accomplished.

Isn't happening is it - EU vessels transferring them. Would have to have government port authority permission to return them to Libya, wherever

45 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Excellent post and well said but tbh you are wasting your time on here tbh. The site has a large membership of racist, selfish and somewhat inhuman people who see desperate children and families as “leeches” and an inconvenience to their comfortable existence. 

Sad indictment of the world we live in today I’m afraid. 

Yes, and it's disheartening to realize how many. 

Edited by Dap

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

No idea why he is not being charged with people smuggling?

Probably because the boat is not trafficking anyone.  

By the way, he's not in charge of the boat and it's actions in the Med, he just financed its purchase.

Edited by Hi Tea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dap,  POST 65 ,   how I loved your empathy for “immigrants”.
I quote ": these people are not afraid of work"
Can you explain to me in what way?
That of destroying street furniture, burning cars, ransacking and looting shops, attacking police and firefighters, in the countries that host them.
Indeed, they excel in all these jobs.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Isn't happening is it - EU vessels transferring them. Would have to have government port authority permission to return them to Libya, wherever

It happened multiple times in the last years that the "recuers" refused to go to a north african harbour though it was closer and they had the permission of the local authorities.

Those "rescuers" are crossing the waters close to the african shore to pick "refugees" up. The imigrants know that and count on it. Without those people smugglers less imigrants would try and put their lifes at risk.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

It happened multiple times in the last years that the "recuers" refused to go to a north african harbour though it was closer and they had the permission of the local authorities.

Those "rescuers" are crossing the waters close to the african shore to pick "refugees" up. The imigrants know that and count on it. Without those people smugglers less imigrants would try and put their lifes at risk.

I presume didn't return to N. African port as unsafe to do so. Lots of returnees have been tortured / raped and so on

3 hours ago, englishoak said:

Its human trafficking, pure and simple

Boat should be impounded for illegal use, unseaworthy and destroyed.

No, the action of the boat and its crew is not human trafficking, pure and simple.   The boat and its crew are doing nothing illegal and there is no indication that it is unseaworthy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Dap,  POST 65 ,   how I loved your empathy for “immigrants”.
I quote ": these people are not afraid of work"
Can you explain to me in what way?
That of destroying street furniture, burning cars, ransacking and looting shops, attacking police and firefighters, in the countries that host them.
Indeed, they excel in all these jobs.

An example of the racism that pervades any and all threads in the World News section in which the subject is immigrants/immigration.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I was talking about people claiming to be asylum seekers when they are illegal immigrants. Maritime law has nothing to do with their status as economic migrants.

Again you are posting all inclusive opinionated comment. If you claim matters as fact, back it up

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, simple1 said:

"International maritime rules are clear that vessels at sea have a duty to rescue those in trouble.

The 1974 Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea says any ship learning of persons in distress "should proceed with all speed to their assistance".

Accordingly exactly what laws is the rescue ship breaching?

SOLAS also says that rust buckets with a pink panther paint job like this should not go to sea in an unseaworthy condition when crewed by idiots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

EU and other countries have been fully aware of the push / pull factors from poverty ridden corrupt countries and conflict areas with people attempting to enter the EU for years, if not decades, Due to ill-advised foreign policy decisions, squabbling, complacency and all the other 'reasons' we have the situation we see today. It is well past due people stopped laying all the fault at the feet of the asylum seekers, no matter their status, the 'blame' lays with governments.

Yes the EU must be aware of the factors and it has been decades, with Italy and Greece bearing the brunt. Foreign policy decisions haven't made much difference because the main problem is illegal smuggling. Many of these 'asylum seekers' are not refugees in the true sense: they start their journeys far away from the Mediterranean beaches and they embark on a journey which can be dangerous as soon as they leave leave home, not just at sea. Most of them leave their homes after freely making their own decision and after parting with a lot of cash which is paid to the people smugglers by themselves, or by sponsors.

Elements of corrupt governments are guilty but blame the smugglers. Banksy & Co are just encouraging the smugglers to pep up their 'business' - the more people that leave on these little boats mean that more will be lost at sea and we really don't know the true real numbers of these poor souls. The only way to stop people dying completely is to stop the smuggling.

• Thanks 1

I doubt many, if any, are genuine asylum seekers or refugees as they would have seeked refuge in the first safe country they got to. They have heard that in the UK, they can stay for free in 4 star hotels, get given free pocket money, free food and free everything. That is why they go to the UK.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

No, neither is telling the truth about them, these boat people are not immigrants or migrants, they are criminally attempting to enter Europe and usually want to end up in the UK, they are illegals attempting to circumvent immigration laws by pretending to be fleeing from danger or persecution and claiming asylum when they have zero grounds to do so.

these boat people are not immigrants or migrants

OK if you say so.

• Sad 1

If left wing idiots want these people in the country, then why don't they offer their spare rooms and sofas? I'm sure that most are trying to make a better life, but there will also be terrorists, paedophiles and rapists.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1