What’s your gut feeling on if they will extend the amnesty

What’s your gut feeling on if they will extend the amnesty?  

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What's the "immigration date" for? In order to apply for what? 

Perhaps it's time to look for agent. 

Friend recently obtained 12month+ based on volunteering. Was 49k. He also unusual case. 

Since your over 50 and don't wish to use agent for RT extension, that's fine but don't think there will be Google search on you. RT fix would be much cheaper.

You state next week Phuket! Geez your cutting it fine.

Well, I want to see what they can 'offer' me extension-wise. My work clearly benefits Thailand, but who knows if that makes any difference. I'm not averse to using an agent, if things don't go well. Otherwise I just park my butt in Southern Europe for a few months. 

My Non-Immi B can only be granted in the home country, but not having lived in Germany for a gazillion years, the prospect of possibly having to spend a winter there, is frightening. Whichever country in this part of Asia opens up first gets me and my money.

Edited by Ganesh108
adding text
  • Like 1

Just now, Solinvictus said:

I believe they will do a 'last minute' declaration regarding another extension also. Why?

As multiple people have mentioned about 'Thai style.'

1. Being a follower with regards to other Asian countries' extensions.

2. Last minute announcements are the norm here. Especially with this particular regime. Last minute alcohol bans or 'green light' to buy. Similar but different story. Last minute 'parent like' authority.

Let's look at that further to know the kind of animal we are putting up with.

These songkran holidays were rescheduled twice and this one coming up was still uncertain until last week. 

Uturn central.

Doing a Uturn is standard procedure here. Good in some ways though. To demonstrate changing ones decision is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 1:00 PM, moe666 said:

I do not think I would wait, I believe they said be prepeared to leave unless you can get a long stay visa or already have one. That message was plane as day.

Problem being , if you do leave Thailand . 

You won't be allowed back  to the kingdom ,, long time ...

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

The announcement from immigration mentions an outbreak as a reason to stay, which requires an embassy letter. And France is having a huge outbreak now.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to matter to our <deleted> poor embassy.
Before amnesty, they only decided to give the letter because they were pressured when they realized pretty much every other embassies were doing it, they were one of the last to do it.
They don't serve the people the way they should.

Edited by Seik
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

I am French.

Are those letters not automated via internet for those who can have them ?

Last announcement from last month said they would not offer the letter. Of course let's keep our eyes peeled in case they change their mind but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

8 minutes ago, Seik said:

Last announcement from last month said they would not offer the letter. Of course let's keep our eyes peeled in case they change their mind but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

They may. In July, Australia changed at the last moment. I really was surprised that the US came out so early with theirs. Gave me a sigh of relief as I search for the best option for me. I at least have a fallback. I will know a lot more after a meeting I have tomorrow night what other options I may have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ganesh108 said:

Hi! Long time lurker here, or should I say 'very long time lurker'. Been based in Thailand since the late 1980s, working in various countries in the region.

I've only just registered on TV to let the Germans here know, that the German embassy will not provide any letters needed for the 30 day extension after 26th September. I'd sent them a mail and they said, as flights to Germany are available, no letters. 

So I join the throng of people hoping for a further amnesty, as flying to Germany to get a new visa (non-Immi B, no WP) and wondering how to get back into Thailand is the last thing I want to do at this point. All other countries in the region that I feel entirely at home in are also closed, unfortunately. I was hoping for India to open this month, but it's not happening.     

2 hours ago, Seik said:

Yes I think the same situation can be observed throughout the EU. No letter from French embassy as well.

And so is the Netherlands.

I've posted their reply trough email in another thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nemo38 said:

No chance.

Luckily for me the country I want to go to is opening up before Thailand kicks me out.

Nepal? 

https://thehimalayantimes.com/kathmandu/international-chartered-and-regular-flights-schedule-released-by-civil-aviation-ministry/

I'm not sure it'll happen, as there's just been a spike in infections in the Kathmandu Valley and lockdown measures have been tightened.

9 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

Listen guys relax you notice this ongoing pattern of last minute decisions. Not only Thailand but embassies etc everywhere too. It is not in anyone's interest to show options so quickly as some people may take such options and become a bigger problem later on. Stranded type news stories.

So these lastinute changes have purpose but if you have the means and the discipline to keep calm and have faith. Then all will be ok.

The only people who can disagree with above statements are those with ties to services which seek to exploit your vulnerabilities.

Hi Jack, I appreciate your positive optimistic mindset as well as your 'balls of steel'.

And I agree that it is wise to postpone any applications you can do at IO as long as possible to avoid having wasted an option when the Amnesty is indeed extended again last minute.  And there is little chance that would happen AFTER 15/16 September, so these are dates to watch.

But it is very much recommended to have at least a PLAN with options and not only 'hope' that the Amnesty will once again be extended.   You might find yourself up s##t-creek if the Cabinet does not approve a 3rd extension and IO is stead-fast in their resolution that you were warned about leaving the country before 26 Sept when not having done the necessary applications to stay longer.

• Like 2

BTW, I'm in Suvarnabhumi Airport right now, and just glancing around I must have seen 10 Westerners. None were bedraggled backpackers, but rather decent looking middle-class folk, some couples. I have yet to see the "riffraff milking the system", as some posters here have called them. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Jack, I appreciate your positive optimistic mindset as well as your 'balls of steel'.

And I agree that it is wise to postpone any applications you can do at IO as long as possible to avoid having wasted an option when the Amnesty is indeed extended again last minute.  And there is little chance that would happen AFTER 15/16 September, so these are dates to watch.

But it is very much recommended to have at least a PLAN with options and not only 'hope' that the Amnesty will once again be extended.   You might find yourself up s##t-creek if the Cabinet does not approve a 3rd extension and IO is stead-fast in their resolution that you were warned about leaving the country before 26 Sept when not having done the necessary applications to stay longer.

Peter, the plan is to leave of there is no extension as I have no other choices left. So now you understand my position you can understand why I need to optimistic. It's a 4 month extension. The visa agents need to pack up and leave Thailand. 4 months off for all visa agents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

My view the amnesty is not going to be extended.

The reason , their appears to have been a perception change in immigration that although visa extended they now view these as Overstay amnesty.

The reintroduction of the 30 day Embassy letters.

The tentative proposals to open Phuket to tourism. If Phuket is opened then the amnesty needs to end , otherwise the tourist who arrive will automatically fall within the amnesty. 

If Phuket opens and amnesty extended how is it possible to police any restrictions on incoming tourists. No restrictions are in place at present for foreigners in Thailand regarding quarantine

17 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

The reason , their appears to have been a perception change in immigration that although visa extended they now view these as Overstay amnesty.

The tentative proposals to open Phuket to tourism. If Phuket is opened then the amnesty needs to end , otherwise the tourist who arrive will automatically fall within the amnesty. 

If Phuket opens and amnesty extended how is it possible to police any restrictions on incoming tourists. No restrictions are in place at present for foreigners in Thailand regarding quarantine

Let's be real, nobody is coming to Phuket any time soon,that travel bubble ain't going to happen,it will take months to organise something like that, Thailand is not going to be the one and only country not to extend the visa..it will be a last minute announcement just like the other countries in the region.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

It doesn't matter what the Immigration Department thinks or decides in regards to the optics of the extensions. The decisions are made by the government on cabinet level. Immigration are just people with a desk and a few stamps carrying out orders.

The Phuket project is a pipedream that's no going to happen. And as far as the embassy letters are concerned, almost no IO knows about the arrangement of the elusive extension stamp until Sep 26th. Just because one embassy solicits supporting letters on their mailer doesn't mean anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1