What’s your gut feeling on if they will extend the amnesty

What’s your gut feeling on if they will extend the amnesty?  

311 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

so has Taiwan

What happened in Taiwan?on July the 17th they extended it for the 5th time and said it would be the last extension because of 180 day rule..are they on a paid extension of some sort now?

Edited by Daithi85
Mistake

34 minutes ago, racket said:

I think they will extend again, and they might even announce it earlier this time around. The thing is, they actually have nothing to loose if tourists are still stranded here because the low numbers doesn't incur a "national security threat" like we've heard before. Basically, If people want to leave, they can - but if people are happy to stay and support the dying tourist economy for what's left, they will let tourists stay. 

Think about it, the New Years Eye, Christmas and even Songkran are coming up and year end consumption supported buy tourist will definitely help keeping Q4 economic numbers incremented. 

They have a new economic team and Mr. P will rely on them, they come from the banking and private sector and they will eventually see the economic gain.

Yes, they will probably extend! Chances are 60-70%.

All that and you still give such a low chance. You got no balls. 

It's 99.498%

It's the end of the visa agent as we know it too. Visa agents are finished after this. 

Visa agents go home. Biz obsolete. Visa free forever until 25m tourists back. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sambotte said:

It's just business as usual, you pay agent who pay immigration who pay up gouvernement.

They can not say it officially but Thailand work like that, everybody knows, and it's fine, and their country.

What is not cool at all is to take advantage of this virus crisis in a stresfull way, last minute to make a max of agent fee.

Immigration attitude is all about that since a few years, not as friendly business like before, just to make you go the agent route. Main reason i think.

You summed it up perfectly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Thailand needs foreign currency reserves. When you spend you dollars or euros it helps their exports or some <deleted> like that.  They need faranagy's.

So why then banks exchange boots are not open anymore ....even removed physically now at Tesco Lotus South Pattaya.....?????

1 hour ago, Jackcwba said:

I hope your right,

only thing that concerns me with that is they are calling this more of a grace period rather than an extension. And many folk have since now got the right visa and sorted their situation out. But many of us still haven’t or can’t. 

from going to saying this is the last extension and you have until 26 September to get your visa sorted to then announcing an extension would make them look silly in some ways.

snd then they will never get everybody out because we are just calling their bluff every time.

is the uk issueing any letters for extensions ? Anybody been in contact with them?

I haven't seen a report saying that the UK is issuing letters, but this suggests that they will if you have a valid reason...  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#covid-19-visa-extension-applications--support-letter

However note the point...

"The British Embassy will not be issuing a visa extension letter to British Nationals here on short-term visas who can travel to their country of residence."

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Looks like Malaysia is after extending there visa amnesty until 31st of December, I think all other countries extending is good news for an extension here.

Is there an official link on that malaysia amnesty extension by immigration, or just a news media article?

27 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Is there an official link on that malaysia amnesty extension by immigration, or just a news media article?

From a couple of news articles saying people will be allowed stay without any overstay penalties until 31st of December.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

from going to saying this is the last extension and you have until 26 September to get your visa sorted to then announcing an extension would make them look silly in some ways.

Imagine the amounts of money they milk out the poor farangs before the next extension. I think they don't care about looking silly.

• Like 1

Well, it's no better now than when they extended it in July.  It's the same.  And Taiwan and Malaysia have just extended their amnesty.  And borders are closed and not opening and the emergency decree will continue to be extended.  If they don't extend it could be very bad all over.  They need to extend it or allow us to pay for a few months visa extension.  Not this embassy 30 days nonsense.  And now Myanmar is having an outbreak and many ate illegally crossing into Thailand.  We need to be careful of an outbreak happening here.  What a mess.  I honestly want to leave, but I can't.  Where can I go?  Thailand is safe.  And I contribute with hotel and food and shopping and ATM fees. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

From a couple of news articles saying people will be allowed stay without any overstay penalties until 31st of December.

I found this, but I am not fully understanding all the impact of the extension of the Malaysian RMCO to Dec. 31. For sure Malaysia is closed to tourists for the remainder of this year. Not sure what this means for their visa amnesty program. Was looking at US embassy in Malaysia website but struggling to find the proper info. Seem that people need letters to stay in Malaysia 14 days after the RMCO expires so the extension most likely gives them permission to stay until the end of the year.

www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/malaysia-recovery-movement-control-order-extended-dec-31-mco-13047724

https://my.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/https://my.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

"The U.S. Embassy is aware of an Immigration press statement indicating that foreigners with expired visas who choose not depart Malaysia within 14 working days after the end of the RMCO should obtain proof from their respective embassies regarding their justification for not being able to leave the country, or else face Immigration enforcement action." This section seems to mean that now they have until Jan 14, 2021 to stay in Malaysia since the RMCO has been extended.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

I've only just registered on TV to let the Germans here know, that the German embassy will not provide any letters needed for the 30 day extension after 26th September. I'd sent them a mail and they said, as flights to Germany are available, no letters.     

Yes I think the same situation can be observed throughout the EU. No letter from French embassy as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

Hi! Long time lurker here, or should I say 'very long time lurker'. Been based in Thailand since the late 1980s, working in various countries in the region.

HI, what's your Visa situation? 

When and on which Visa did you enter Thailand, and what was the permission to stay date stamped in your passport on that last entry?

Did you already apply for any extensions since that last entry, and if so what was the permission to stay it provided?

You are German, but what is your age and are you married to a thai national?

Do you have foreign income and if so would it meet the +65K or +40K tressholds for a retirement c.q. marriage Embassy income letter?

What is your IO and did you enquire already there about your options (if so what was their repsonse)?

>> On the basis of the above possible options for remaining in Thailand could be determined.

40 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

HI, what's your Visa situation? 

When and on which Visa did you enter Thailand, and what was the permission to stay date stamped in your passport on that last entry?

Did you already apply for any extensions since that last entry, and if so what was the permission to stay it provided?

You are German, but what is your age and are you married to a thai national?

Do you have foreign income and if so would it meet the +65K or +40K tressholds for a retirement c.q. marriage Embassy income letter?

What is your IO and did you enquire already there about your options (if so what was their repsonse)?

>> On the basis of the above possible options for remaining in Thailand could be determined.

Thanks for asking.

Non-immigrant B, last entry into Thailand 13th March, so the 90 day entry stamp ended on 10th June. Visa validity ran out on 18th July, so on amnesty now. Have not gone for any extension yet.

Not married, all income from abroad. Age well above 50, so I guess I could go for a RV in theory, but then retired I am not. Any Google search would find me and my profession in a split second, and part of the work is done in Thailand. Not planning to retire anytime soon. I don't even use a Thai bank account, all banking is done from Singapore. 

I'm based in Bangkok, but don't have an IO really, as I have never extended my 90 day entry stamp, flying in and out of Thailand up to 10 times a year. As I will be in Phuket shortly, I've booked an immigration date there for next week. 

In short, I may be in a somewhat unusual category.

Edited by Ganesh108
adding text
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

I've booked an immigration date there for next week. 

What's the "immigration date" for? In order to apply for what? 

Perhaps it's time to look for agent. 

Friend recently obtained 12month+ based on volunteering. Was 49k. He also unusual case. 

Since your over 50 and don't wish to use agent for RT extension, that's fine but don't think there will be Google search on you. RT fix would be much cheaper.

You state next week Phuket! Geez your cutting it fine.