Plan on the table to allow Europe’s ‘snowbirds’ into Thailand for up to 9 months

webfact

14 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

One thing for sure, they don't want any back packers only people with suitcases full

of money need to apply.

Vietnam and Cambodia was full of white backpackers earlier this year.

Everyone seemed happy with that, as far as they were concerned Thailand can keep the rich tourists.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'm having loads of fun here.

Just saying.

In the context of tourism - you know what I mean.

Im still having fun - I've been here for 17 years. But its certainly not as fun as it used to be.

Perhaps because I'm getting old and boring?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, eeworldwide said:

In the context of tourism - you know what I mean.

Im still having fun - I've been here for 17 years. But its certainly not as fun as it used to be.

Perhaps because I'm getting old and boring?

Been here nearly 12 years, having more fun than I used to have.

Although COVID has put a bit of a break on my explorations of neighbouring countries.

I think lots of older people get stuck in a comfortable rut and stop seeking adventures.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

New simple plan - keep them out as currently or resume normal operating procedure...

Enough of this BS planning...start with 3 week quarantine in Phuket and then only allow up to 9 months yet paying for a one year visa? 

tell me again why tourists are dying to come to thailand rather Vietnam or Indonesia?

This might have something to do with it.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/08/29/indonesia-sees-record-high-in-covid-19-cases-for-third-day-running.html

• Like 2

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

How are they going to know which tourists are which? which tourists have been in thailand for more than 3 weeks? which foreigners are tourists and which foreigners are long term residents, retirees, employees? will they have police checks all over the country continually stopping and checking foreigners? it's a mad plan.

Electronic tracking ankle bracelets.....

Another brilliant idea to desperately find someone who may want to endure 2 weeks of quarantine and then another week of roaming on Phuket..

They are talking about 50,000 but 6.7 million Europeans visited last year. A drop in the bucket...

And which medical tourists will wait 3 weeks before getting their procedure?

Seniors will also not spend time in Asia, if they are not ensured of a quick return home, if there is a need.

Sure, this is what Thailand may want, but it ignores the customers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the millions of people that are not only unemployed but now running out of savings as well.

"Running out of savings". I think he means can't get any more credit or buffalo ???? funding. 

Edited by Keesters

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Another day, another ‘plan’ flown up the pole to see if it will catch some wind.

T.A.T is full of wind.... catching it should be easy, they should bottle it, sell- ship it as a "Tatse of Tailand"

[T.A.T] and prop up the tourism industry with the proceeds..

Another day another hair-brained scheme

Grasping at any idea that comes into their miNUTE brains.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm surprised they haven't come up with a plan to try and keep foreigners already in Thailand a bit longer.

It wouldn't be hard at all, just extend all permissions to stay by 6 months.

Of course that wouldn't make much money for them in bogus insurance policies, overpriced testing, and compulsory prison quality hotels at 5* plus prices.

That would be logical thinking though.

Did anybody ask the Thai people who live on Phuket how they feel about this plan to bring all these potential sick people to their island?

What happens if someone makes it through the two week quarantine and then travels around the island for a week only to start showing symptoms? Many cases to prove 14 days may not be long enough. What if that person got a massage from a woman who went home to her family and her three children went to three different schools the next day? What if one of her children was a beautiful uni girl who happened to fly back to Bangkok and went clubbing every night with hundreds of hiso people in Thonglor? 

What if I was hitting on that same girl. You see the problem here.

Will they seal the island up like last time? 

Would you get on a plane knowing that you could contract the China virus and arrive in a foreign country with a potentially long hospital stay? 

This new coffee I am trying might actually have mild hallucinogens in it. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The thing is, many snowbirds have a retirement extension

had.

it should be simple enough to revise policy to allow expired extensions to be renewed within a certain window.  burden retirees with more (mostly useless) paperwork and insurance requirements in addition to quarantine at extortionate rates?  when they realize they have to start all over with a new visa with added requirements, many will simply find another more welcoming destination.  

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Like 2

image.png.9e634a18902bf22988c9958cabda3fe9.png

The vast majority of these over many years were here for 2/3 weeks, working with families or singles and of course backpackers. The type going to be attracted by "the plan" are rich, retired and extremely adventurous, considering age and wealth. This will cost more to set up and monitor for a handful of the above. It's mindless nonsense.

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

Then they’d be clear to roam around the island for their third week. After 3 weeks on the island the visitors would be free to travel to other parts of Thailand.

how are they going to know which tourists are which? which tourists have been in thailand for more than 3 weeks? which foreigners are tourists and which foreigners are long term residents, retirees, employees? will they have police checks all over the country continually stopping and checking foreigners? it's a mad plan.

They have the super smart BMW ????