What's happened to all the Frogs ?

worgeordie

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I can agree  with the  OP . It was noticeable  last year but this year much less.

I also agree that the nightly insect swarms to light sources are  rare or non prolific.

& I can agree also, usually have to rescue frogs that have entered swimming pool and cant get out daily, not had to do that for a good while, also generally leave outside lights off this time of year to prevent the "swarms" again, not thought about that as not happened, were located east of bumbottom nowhere that has had little rain - so far ????

Where have they gone :shock1:

Lost the frog chorus here, it was something to behold, or belisten rather. Not quite sure of the reason, The land that previously would turn into a swamp during the rainy season is now pretty much dry (mostly). Lots of drainage work done after the last great flood. I miss it. That and howler monkeys (different country) are two sounds that are etched into my memory. Reminds me of that film Langoliers, suburbia approaches. Have a frog in the bathroom for like about a month now, I keep debating whether to capture it and release it into the wild, guess it's living off small insects, and it has outlets should it want to escape. Weird watching it climb about.

Edited by nausea

1 hour ago, trucking said:

We all know the word for frog ..................gop.

But whenever I see one and say to the wife " Look....a gop "  She never agrees that it is a frog.

They have so many words for frogs , depending on size , color , habitat , hairstyle and political views that I can honestly say that in all my time here I have never seen a common bona fide frog.

Yes my wife was the same.  But now I understand why.  Where we have names for different types of frogs such as tree frog, burrowing frog, painted frog etc., we can still call them frogs.  However the Thais seem to have a single separate word for each one as though they are not in the same family, as though they are a completely different animal eg a 'kiet' is a tree frog, an 'erng' is a burrowing or ground frog etc.

So no, sorry to correct you, but 'gop' is not the Thai word for frog, its the Thai word for only one kind of frog........the kind they like to put on the BBQ (although they do tend to eat all of them around here, its just the 'gop' is the biggest).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We get quite a few frogs at the pond, but only when it rains a lot. The bugs come around the lights then too, but usually they start going home about 8 to 8;30 pm. Maybe they have a curfew too.

OTOH we have lots of little black ants both inside and outside the house.

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

That's a kancock (toad).  Dogs, cats, birds etc steer well clear of them.  We usually have a lot but very few this year. The usual clouds of flying insects attracted to the lights after rain are almost non existent this year.  Maybe the two are connected because usually we see a lot of frogs/toads during this period as they eat the flying insects that drop from the lights.  No insects = no frogs.  However we also have borrowing frogs here that are prolific after the first rains and locals go out at night in the rain with headlamps to catch.  Seems to be no shortage at all this year.  But on the other hand the garden seems abnormally vigorous this year??

We have lots of them toads and i know some people like to lick them to become psychedelic ,we had a dog that used to lick frogs on purpose about twice a month and she would become very stoned.She did this for years and we always found it funny.After a few hours she would be fine again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

So no, sorry to correct you, but 'gop' is not the Thai word for frog, its the Thai word for only one kind of frog........the kind they like to put on the BBQ (although they do tend to eat all of them around here, its just the 'gop' is the biggest).

Totally agree. Just wish all the language books and Google translate etc pointed this out so our wives don't needlessly suffer.

• Haha 1