France's Le Drian blames Britain's 'attitude' for Brexit talks impasse

snoop1130

26 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

So basically you live life in an echo chamber...

No, he’s living in his safe space.

Kind of one man cancelling. Not quite no-platforming as there are plenty of copies out there, but ‘if a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it’ situation. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Boris was referring to the Withdrawal Agreement. That is done and dusted. This topic is about future trading arrangements. 

Seems you don't like to become remembered to his promises ….lies , quick wipe it under the carpet !..  LOL

About future  trading arrangement ….. forget that until first quarter of 2021 as E.U. letting the Brexit Gov. first experience  the facts in a Brexit reality happening .

As Barnier already refuse fish talks now , and 1 October is last possible date in E.U. 27 members timing, as  their member country's local parliaments need voting  !...… Strange.....? As they are not being a democracy (called so by brexiteers….)  And still they  vote ….27 country's …? ????

Edited by david555

11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

imo  the EU and the UK are both going to lose and the timing couldn't be worse.. 

As said from the beginning ….., but E.U. like more to loose 20% than give in  to a leaving camp  and so let them  destroy their union complete 

As for Brexit camp …." count your cattle " so you remember what you have now , for later "remembrances" ..????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Don't you think that this is a major oversight and is simply another example of the lack of preparation by the UK for these negotiations?

That is because we were members of the EU and it would need Treaty change to allow this to happen.

Rather than the EU being unreasonable, this is another example of the UK expecting the EU to rewrite Treaties, Regulations and Directives for the benefit of the UK when it is no longer a member. 

Yes, an oversight, perhaps. It's also just another example of the stranglehold that the EU has over its members, especially those who are trying to leave. These things are rarely considered when joining something  that was initially described as a "common market".  It has all become more difficult to deal with after the rules were expanded and changed through a succession of treaties, which tie up members in a great ball of a granny knot. I suppose leavers and remainers can all see what a mess this is now. For me, speaking as a mere shepherd, I'm more convinced than ever that it's way past time to get the flock out.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, david555 said:

Seems you don't like to become remembered to his promises ….lies , quick wipe it under the carpet !..  LOL

About future  trading arrangement ….. forget that until first quarter of 2021 as E.U. letting the Brexit Gov. first experience  the facts in a Brexit reality happening .

As Barnier already refuse fish talks now , and 1 October is last possible date in E.U. 27 members timing, as  their member country's local parliaments need voting  !...… Strange.....? As they are not being a democracy (called so by brexiteers….)  And still they  vote ….27 country's …? ????

I was correcting an earlier poster who thought the 'oven ready deal' slogan was about future trading arrangements, when in fact it was about the WA only. I didn't wipe anything under the carpet. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I see their front pages from time to time. That is more than enough "information".

I also don't look Fox "News" and I don't think I missed anything important.

Think you missed your way. Certainly missed the mood of the nation’s real folk. 

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yeah, sure. Something like this?

Sure.  Looks fun. Wish we had enough warm weather for the girls to get into bikinis. 

You sound like you feel superior to these people or something. GUess what, your vote is worth no more than theirs, and guess who will return Donald for a second term? You can make another snide post, with another video after that if you want. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Sure.  Looks fun. Wish we had enough warm weather for the girls to get into bikinis. 

You sound like you feel superior to these people or something. GUess what, your vote is worth no more than theirs, and guess who will return Donald for a second term? You can make another snide post, with another video after that if you want. 

Ponti's have no vote.

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Yes, an oversight, perhaps. It's also just another example of the stranglehold that the EU has over its members, especially those who are trying to leave. These things are rarely considered when joining something  that was initially described as a "common market".  It has all become more difficult to deal with after the rules were expanded and changed through a succession of treaties, which tie up members in a great ball of a granny knot. I suppose leavers and remainers can all see what a mess this is now. For me, speaking as a mere shepherd, I'm more convinced than ever that it's way past time to get the flock out.

There is no doubt that the EU today is markedly different from the EEC of 1975. It is to be expected. All organisations evolve; if they don't they cease to exist. However, EU Treaty change requires unanimity amongst the members. If the UK was dead set against a particular change it could have blocked it.

However, my main point was that the UK was, and is still is, woefully unprepared for the negotiations. This lack of preparation has nothing to do with the EU. Being generous, one might excuse some initial chaos but it is now 4 years since the referendum, and the UK still doesn't seem to have any semblance of a plan for its' place in the world post-transition.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RayC said:

However, my main point was that the UK was, and is still is, woefully unprepared for the negotiations. This lack of preparation has nothing to do with the EU. Being generous, one might excuse some initial chaos but it is now 4 years since the referendum, and the UK still doesn't seem to have any semblance of a plan for its' place in the world post-transition.

How do you know all this? Were you part of the preparations or have you been part of the negotiations? Perhaps the govt reports to you everything they are doing and future plans? Maybe the plan always was to get out without capitulation in any sort of an EU capitulating deal?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Look at fishing? On a GDP level its a none event but for Brexiteers it has become a totem of everything evil about the EU.

Hell mend them. This is what they wanted. Its what they voted for.

Actually the fishing is more of an EU totem. Macron cant afford to be seen to concede on it, so Barnier has to hold that position. That's why he's now sticking to his 'parallelism' policy. Keep going M. Barnier - we'll have our No Deal exit yet.

image.png.c758d881c4e809849d15bd6e078a721f.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RayC said:

There is no doubt that the EU today is markedly different from the EEC of 1975. It is to be expected. All organisations evolve; if they don't they cease to exist. However, EU Treaty change requires unanimity amongst the members. If the UK was dead set against a particular change it could have blocked it.

Well that's all easy to say. But the EEC in 1975 was what the remain voters in the referendum of that year voted to stay with. These voters were not made well aware of the  consequences of subsequent mutations (treaties). I have said so often that voting for the EU is not the same as voting for the status quo. All of the more recent treaty decisions were never offered to the UK electorate, via referenda, in the UK; pro EU governments played this subject down (or lied) at election times. 

I agree we are unprepared but despite the EU rhetoric I don't think they are either. Yes, four years since the referendum but who would expect an easy-out from an EU which assumes to dictate all the rules and sequencing of negotiations and an EU that risks imploding if the UK exit is successful?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Victornoir said:

Mr Le Drian expresses in covered words an opinion widely shared in France:

“The British are unreliable, they are the boot of the USA and an embarrassment for the unity of the Europeans. Their subcontracting to the Japanese automobile industry competes harshly with our own production. Otherwise their importation of French products is relatively low"

Better a no deal divorce but without shouting it too loudly to avoid offending the fishermen.

And with clever legal constraints the odds are great to appropriate a large chunk of their juicy financial services industry for free.

The ultimate pot calling kettle post. ????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

That’s not a nice way of saying “I got used to all the benefits but I want them for half the price now”. Fact is, members are free to leave anytime they want, but they’ll have to find a new gym or a replacement for the amenities themselves when they want to “take back control” and be “sovereign”. 

Benefits? Like a 70 billion trade deficit and some horrible sculptures?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

A negotiation obviously is with someone external; you don’t need to negotiate with yourself. The EU is an external factor to the UK and vice versa. So if the UK blames the EU for not getting a trade deal, then the UK is admitting that it did a bad job in planning (or a bad decision in the first place). 

And yes, the same holds true for any other issue that involve the actions of external factors. Whether it’s a FTA negotiation, a salary negotiation, a product development, or a pandemic. Being in charge means anticipating and managing external factors, not letting it happen and then blaming what was your job to manage. 

You gotta do your homework. The EU can’t keep anyone “on the hook with a transition period”. That was the UK’s decision. 

It was the EU's decision and they agreed to it far too quickly.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well that's all easy to say. But the EEC in 1975 was what the remain voters in the referendum of that year voted to stay with. These voters were not made well aware of the  consequences of subsequent mutations (treaties). I have said so often that voting for the EU is not the same as voting for the status quo. All of the more recent treaty decisions were never offered to the UK electorate, via referenda, in the UK; pro EU governments played this subject down (or lied) at election times. 

I agree we are unprepared but despite the EU rhetoric I don't think they are either. Yes, four years since the referendum but who would expect an easy-out from an EU which assumes to dictate all the rules and sequencing of negotiations and an EU that risks imploding if the UK exit is successful?

I agree with you that, after numerous years of membership and contribution to the design of the current EU, UK politicians could not be unaware of the likely behaviour of the EU.

What is a bit more annoying is that it's not at all what has been promised...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/nobody-said-it-was-easy

Edited by candide

2 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Is it unreasonable for the EU to want us to adhere to the same standards regarding goods quality/safety, and employment law etc, as they do, if we want free trade access to their market. Why invite us to undercut them by having the freedom to lower our standards. I would have thought it was just common sense. 

In my understanding the majority of UK subjects wished to leave the EU because of it's IMO barking policy on illegal immigration. All the huffing and puffing about trade does not change that.

3 hours ago, RayC said:

And that's it? We leave the EU and then what? Puff ... magically everything falls into place? What's the backup plan in the unlikely event that that doesn't work?

When the UK joined the common market they stabbed NZ in the back and almost destroyed it. NZ had to make severe adjustments to survive, which it did, but no thanks to Britain.

I'm sure Britain will do whatever it has to to survive outside the EU; after all, if a sparsely populated country like NZ can do it surely Britain can, and if it becomes less attractive to the illegals than it worked.

• Like 1