Study finds most Thais prefer digital payments

webfact

Study finds most Thais prefer digital payments

By The Nation

800_ae0346e82cf2c57.jpg?v=1599028133

Visa, a world leader in digital payments, said on Wednesday (September 2) that nearly nine in 10 Thai consumers are interested in transacting through digital platforms.

The Visa Consumer Payment Attitudes Study tracked payment habits, attitudes and explored emerging topics related to payments across Southeast Asia including Thailand. The study also found that four out of five Thai consumers (80 per cent) were interested in making payments with biometric authentication.

Suripong Tantiyanon, country manager for Visa Thailand, said: “Thai consumers are becoming tech savvy, quickly adopting digital behaviour in their daily lives. The results of our recent study reaffirms our observation. We are encouraged to see Thai consumers adopting digital financial services, which would lend a hand in building a strong foundation for the country’s digital economy.”

Based on the findings, four in five (81 per cent) are aware of the concept of digital banking –online or mobile services that allow users to access bank accounts, transfer money, pay bills etc without having to visit a bank or use cash.

The respondents cited convenience as their top motivation in adopting digital banking (61 per cent), followed by not having to wait in line at banks (60 per cent) and finding it to be a faster way of banking (57 per cent).

The top five services Thai consumers are looking to receive from digital banks are deposits and withdrawals (72 per cent), paying bills (70 per cent), transferring money to family and friends (69 per cent), payment at retail locations (67 per cent) and investments (58 per cent).

The study also gauged Thai consumers’ interest in the emerging technology of biometric payments and found that four out of five (80 per cent) Thai consumers are interested in this payment method. More specifically, those of Gen-Y (25-39 years old) exhibited higher interest than Gen-X (40-54 years old) in biometric authentication (85 per cent vs 76 per cent).

The top drivers of interest in biometric payments are speed and convenience (53 per cent), followed by the convenience of not having to carry card or cash (50 per cent) and security (48 per cent).

Additionally, respondents also cited paying by finger scan as their most preferred biometric payment method (80 per cent), whilst consumers also feel comfortable using retina scan to make payments while travelling overseas (52 per cent) or for education (42 per cent) and health & fitness (40 per cent).

The study was conducted by ENGINE insights on behalf of Visa in August last year in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines and Myanmar. Total sample size was 5,102, including 505 working adults in Thailand aged 18-65, with a minimum monthly income of Bt15,000.

Infographic_CPA_Digital%20Banking%20and%

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30393904

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-02

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, webfact said:

The study was conducted by ENGINE insights on behalf of Visa in August last year in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines and Myanmar. Total sample size was 5,102, including 505 working adults in Thailand aged 18-65, with a minimum monthly income of Bt15,000.

Well it must be true with that huge 505 working adults as a sample size. Divide that by the number of adults in Thailand and Bam. Thai mathematics.

If you had to have the money in an electronic platform like Alipay or Wechat, I would suspect most would not prefer it and they would have little or no money to pay for anything.

• Like 2

I've found this to be true in unexpected places.

The builders merchant at the end of my road wanted direct deposit for purchases (can't be bothered with cash/change).

The guy who sold me his m/c wanted a bank transfer as well.

Also the FB pharmacy I use wants bank transfers and a photo of the transaction.

Easy enough to do on my phone, they take a photo of the completed transaction as a record.

Costs nothing (they don't want VISA or MASTERCARD though).

Quite surprised really.

Edited by BritManToo

This isn't news. This is BS propaganda for more control and a cashless society where the banks screw the people out of even more money. The posed question was skewed and the the whole study was biased. How can people fall for this kind of stuff? Never forget: Cash is King!

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and I go to the bank for an ATM withdrawal and then pay my normal shopping in cash, even at BigC and Makro.

The rest of the monthly bills I simply do a bank transfer. I have been doing it that way for years.

The KISS principle applies.

I tend to doubt the conclusions of this heavily biased survey. For online purchases, I get it. But, I think most Thais still love cash, as I do. Standing behind 6 people at a coffee shop, when each one pays with a card feels Inane. I hate it. It feels like a personal weakness, not to carry cash around. I know guys in the US, who have wives that forbid them from carrying cash, so they can monitor everything. Is that who you want to be in life? Leaving a paper trail of your whole life behind. Weak. Sorry, but that is the way many of us see it. 

On the other hand, I know guys who always have $500 cash, or 20,000 baht in their pockets. They are real men! 

Edited by spidermike007