UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I’m happy to see you have admitted it.

The Scots don’t want independence they want to be ruled by the Franco German alliance that is the EU instead of being ruled by England.

They know they are way too insignificant to ever be truly independent. They are just highlighting which teet is more palatable to their historically bitter population. 

Many of us will be glad to see the back of you. Myself included. The fact that the EU will be saddled with you is the icing on the cake. The idea that this is a negative outcome from Brexit is laughable to most of us.

This landed in my intray this morning:

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

From a 2016 silver medalist? 

You won.

Now get on with it. Deal with the consequences of what you won. I know its a frighting prospect for all you Brexiteers because you actually did win and now you have to deliver all the unicorns and sunny uplands you promised but thats the way things work.

You get what you vote for. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

You were warned that voting to leave the EU would result in a resurgence of calls for Scottish independence.

You went ahead and did it anyway.

No point crying foul play if you knew the rules going into the game.

the problems the uk may face when leaving the eu is a walk in the park compared to scotland if it leaves the uk,can,t see it happening,as you will have to leave sterling if yuo go.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You won.

Now get on with it. Deal with the consequences of what you won. I know its a frighting prospect for all you Brexiteers because you actually did win and now you have to deliver all the unicorns and sunny uplands you promised but thats the way things work.

You get what you vote for. 

But as there's....

No point crying foul play if you knew the rules going into the game.

your continued sulking is pointless.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

You won.

You get what you vote for

....except losers consent ????

I can understand why the Scots don't trust the English government. On the referendum to breach their

contract with the EU, first they lied to the voters then 4 years latter they are still dragging on about

getting their cake and eating it too! Instead they should appreciate the patience of the EU and leave

the EU quietly and with no deal. Anywhere in the developed world when you breach your contract

you get out with nothing and your tail between your legs! 

"Soldiers, never interrupt an enemy who is about to make a mistake"   Napoleon   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Moo 2 said:

I can understand why the Scots don't trust the English government. On the referendum to breach their

contract with the EU, first they lied to the voters then 4 years latter they are still dragging on about

getting their cake and eating it too! Instead they should appreciate the patience of the EU and leave

the EU quietly and with no deal. Anywhere in the developed world when you breach your contract

you get out with nothing and your tail between your legs! 

"Soldiers, never interrupt an enemy who is about to make a mistake"   Napoleon   

And I thought it was a UK Government wiv Scotch folk init........????

• Like 1

Just now, Moo 2 said:

If the Scots are smart (I believe they are) they will embrace the euro, second best money in the world

and only 20 years on the market!

"I drink to make other people more interesting"   Ernest Hemingway

They might embrace it but will they get it?

On 9/3/2020 at 6:06 PM, George Aylesham said:

But they would be happily using the Euro - currently at any rate a far more stable currency than sterling.

Have to laugh at this sort of post.Do those who believe Scotland could adopt the Euro have any idea what is involved and what restrictions would be imposed by Brussels ? Have they done even the most elementary type of research?

In a more general sense there has never been a satisfactory response given by the SNP to the matter of post independence currency.In fact the Scottish people have been bombarded with lies by the SNP on the options available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Bank of Scotland 20 Pounds (1995-2006 series) - exchange yours

You will of course notice the word sterling on there.

So please explain why Scotland would not be able to carry on using the pound if it chose to do so.

You need to do your own research. Too many questions as usual. I will have my tea after this.

The Pound is issued by the BoE, which allows three Scottish banks to print Scottish Pounds. Scottish Pounds are promissory notes - not formal legal tender. In other words Scotland does not really have its own currency and certainly no control of the pound and interest rates etc. For Scotland to continue using pounds, then there would need to be an exceptional agreement between national governments and banks.

But all that won't matter will it? Because you will have the mighty Euro. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You need to do your own research. Too many questions as usual. I will have my tea after this.

The Pound is issued by the BoE, which allows three Scottish banks to print Scottish Pounds. Scottish Pounds are promissory notes - not formal legal tender. In other words Scotland does not really have its own currency and certainly no control of the pound and interest rates etc. For Scotland to continue using pounds, then there would need to be an exceptional agreement between national governments and banks.

Some follower of the SNP has suggested that they just use credit/debit cards, thus having no need for money.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:48 PM, RuamRudy said:
On 9/3/2020 at 5:49 PM, Purdey said:

it is unlikely Japanese or German car companies would move even further, geographically, from the EU.

???

This means no large, global manufacturer would bother to set up a factory in Scotland after independence. So far from Europe, lack of skilled workers. Just would not happen. Dont forget, Scotland is technically out of the EU and there is little chance they could enter quickly later. Why would any major industrial giant choose Scotland? Eire is a better bet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

cameron

You will of course notice the word sterling on there.

So please explain why Scotland would not be able to carry on using the pound if it chose to do so.

cameron made it very clear scotland would have to leave sterling in the event of independence,and we all know what the result of the election was don,t we?

18 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The pound is a fully tradable FIAT currency. Anyone can use it if they chose to do so. For every Scottish banknote issued a pound is deposited with the Bank of England. Thats how it works. 

All banknotes are promissory notes. Its how it works. Look at you Bank of England promissory notes and tell me what it says on the front of it.

• Haha 1