Quarantine 'confusion' in the UK with different rules for England, Wales and Scotland

snoop1130

Quarantine 'confusion' in the UK with different rules for England, Wales and Scotland

hth.PNG

LONDON (Reuters) - Travellers to the United Kingdom faced what the transport minister said was confusion on Friday as Wales and Scotland slapped a quarantine on arrivals from Portugal but England and Northern Ireland held back from restrictions.

Wales will quarantine travellers from Portugal, Gibraltar, French Polynesia and the Greek islands of Mykonos, Zakynthos, Lesbos, Paros, Antiparos and Crete as of Friday.

Scotland will do the same for travellers from Portugal and French Polynesia from 0300 GMT on Saturday. England and Northern Ireland will not.

"I do realise it creates confusion for people not to have a single rule (across the UK) but we do have this devolved approach throughout the United Kingdom and I can only be responsible for the English part of that," Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told Sky News.

Asked about testing at airports, Shapps said there was no silver bullet as a day zero test was unlikely to work.

"A day zero test as you come home is unlikely to find the vast majority of people who travelled with coronavirus," Shapps said, adding that the government's health experts thought such a test would pick up just 7% of people who were positive.

"So you probably have to have some kind of quarantine period, perhaps seven or eight days, maybe a test then - those are the things we are working through," Shapps said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-04

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bruntoid said:

Or Johnson

Even the Brexiteers bibles The Sun and The Mail are turning against the clown 

In fact, many English people are commenting on the professionalism and competence of both the Scottish and Welsh governments and turning to them for guidance, whilst despairing at the seemingly unlimited capacity for incompetence from Johnson and his cabinet of chaos. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Sturgeon needs to keep her nose out of UK government quarantine restrictions, totally stupid to have different set of rules within one country. Doesn't really matter as everywhere will be locked down in europe within weeks and then the fun really starts with the civil disobedience.

Why not just follow the lead of Scotland as soon as Sturgeon announces a new rule? You can be sure that Johnson will play catch up soon enough so if she says jump, most likely it's a good idea to jump. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Why not just follow the lead of Scotland as soon as Sturgeon announces a new rule? You can be sure that Johnson will play catch up soon enough so if she says jump, most likely it's a good idea to jump. 

Because Portgual doesn't need to be included in the quarantine list nor does Greece.

Edited by tribalfusion001

11 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Sturgeon needs to keep her nose out of UK government quarantine restrictions, totally stupid to have different set of rules within one country. Doesn't really matter as everywhere will be locked down in europe within weeks and then the fun really starts with the civil disobedience.

One country? no - Scotland is a country, England is a country.

• Thanks 1

Just now, George Aylesham said:

One country? no - Scotland is a country, England is a country.

It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Scotland and England don't exist as separate countries. UK quarantine matters should be made in Westminster only. If Scotland and Wales want to leave the union, they are free to go.

27 minutes ago, vogie said:

Stats for countries with similar population.

IMG_20200905_165830.jpg

Excellent point Vogie - the big difference between Scotland (and possibly Palestine) and the other countries on your list is that Scotland is the only one forced to hand over its revenues to another country and for that other country to decide how much to return. Imagine if we weren't shackled to that corrupt, thieving parliament in London, how much better our statistics might have been.

However, this is not a thread about Scottish independence. It is a thread about the relative perceptions of competence displayed by the various administrations across the UK. Johnson's response has been shocking, even when considering the man's usual bumbling display of utter ineptitude. No wonder there is confusion in England. I suspect the majority of English people must be looking at him and wondering how on earth a once great country allowed itself to fall to such a desperate situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Excellent point Vogie - the big difference between Scotland (and possibly Palestine) and the other countries on your list is that Scotland is the only one forced to hand over its revenues to another country and for that other country to decide how much to return. Imagine if we weren't shackled to that corrupt, thieving parliament in London, how much better our statistics might have been.

However, this is not a thread about Scottish independence. It is a thread about the relative perceptions of competence displayed by the various administrations across the UK. Johnson's response has been shocking, even when considering the man's usual bumbling display of utter ineptitude. No wonder there is confusion in England. I suspect the majority of English people must be looking at him and wondering how on earth a once great country allowed itself to fall to such a desperate situation. 

I suspect the majority of English people must be looking at him and wondering how on earth a once great country allowed itself to fall to such a desperate situation. 

I don't think English people will be thinking that at all, nor the Welsh and the NI, what the rest of the UK will be thinking is thank goodness we havn't caught the nationalism disease that exists north of the border. No English guarding the A1 to prevent the Scots coming or going, no English with placards saying Scots out of England and no English banners suggesting that the SNP are scum. It is time the nationalists started asking themselves questions on how the country is being run, but I doubt very much that very much as they might not like the answers they hear.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, vogie said:

I suspect the majority of English people must be looking at him and wondering how on earth a once great country allowed itself to fall to such a desperate situation. 

I don't think English people will be thinking that at all, nor the Welsh and the NI, what the rest of the UK will be thinking is thank goodness we havn't caught the nationalism disease that exists north of the border. No English guarding the A1 to prevent the Scots coming or going, no English with placards saying Scots out of England and no English banners suggesting that the SNP are scum. It is time the nationalists started asking themselves questions on how the country is being run, but I doubt very much that very much as they might not like the answers they hear.

With regards the banner which read, 'Tory Scum out of Scotland', I think we have been over this before - Tories are despised for their greed, corruptions, dishonesty and cronyism by people of all political persuasions (except the hard right neoliberal, of course) in every part of the UK. There is nothing to suggest that the people in the photo to which you refer were independence supporters - they might be unionists who are decent, honest and civic minded.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

With regards the banner which read, 'Tory Scum out of Scotland', I think we have been over this before - Tories are despised for their greed, corruptions, dishonesty and cronyism by people of all political persuasions (except the hard right neoliberal, of course) in every part of the UK. There is nothing to suggest that the people in the photo to which you refer were independence supporters - they might be unionists who are decent, honest and civic minded.

Tories are despised for their greed, corruptions, dishonesty and cronyism by people of all political persuasions.

That is certainly true when said by a nationalist and friends, the SNP appears to be performing more of a cult than a political party. What has happened to you over the last 3 or 4 years RR, you used to be so moderate and it's on record that you said you were not a member of the SNP, something has changed you, every post is full of vitriol. Just because you don't like a party it doesn't deserve these constant caustic attacks. People have voted for the Tories in large numbers which sheds little value to your views on them. Maybe attacking the Tories justifies your support of probably the biggest nationalist party in europe, correct me if I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Tories are despised for their greed, corruptions, dishonesty and cronyism by people of all political persuasions.

That is certainly true when said by a nationalist and friends, the SNP appears to be performing more of a cult than a political party. What has happened to you over the last 3 or 4 years RR, you used to be so moderate and it's on record that you said you were not a member of the SNP, something has changed you, every post is full of vitriol. Just because you don't like a party it doesn't deserve these constant caustic attacks. People have voted for the Tories in large numbers which sheds little value to your views on them. Maybe attacking the Tories justifies your support of probably the biggest nationalist party in europe, correct me if I'm wrong.

What happened is that I saw the rise of the extreme right and the normalisation of xenophobia and hatred for those who ar 'other' throughout the UK from the PM down, the degradation of public office and the traducing of honesty and decency in politics. You may feel precious towards them, but that is your choice. I don't hate anyone who votes tory but I hate all that tories stand for. 

I need no justification for supporting a fairer, more inclusive, decent and humane future for my country. The tories offer not a hint of that because that is not in their ethos. The fact that there is an eminently better way is why the majority of Scots want no more to do with your country. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What happened is that I saw the rise of the extreme right and the normalisation of xenophobia and hatred for those who ar 'other' throughout the UK from the PM down, the degradation of public office and the traducing of honesty and decency in politics. You may feel precious towards them, but that is your choice. I don't hate anyone who votes tory but I hate all that tories stand for. 

I need no justification for supporting a fairer, more inclusive, decent and humane future for my country. The tories offer not a hint of that because that is not in their ethos. The fact that there is an eminently better way is why the majority of Scots want no more to do with your country. 

I will tag this post as BS and yes you again have proven my point. It's impossible to have a decent debate with a seditionist when their whole arguement is based on the hatred of their closest neighbour or government. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely the answer is simple? If you are in England, follow England's rules. If you are in Wales, NI or Scotland, follow the rules in those countries.

There are other examples of variations in laws across the 4 nations - why should this be any different? 

• Like 1

Just now, Desmondo69 said:

Of course they exist separately... Scotland has its own  gov.. And different legal system... We wish we were free to go... 

We English wish you were free to go as well.

And have the same VISA & entry restrictions imposed on you as all the other 3rd world countries.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Desmondo69 said:

Of course they exist separately... Scotland has its own  gov.. And different legal system... We wish we were free to go... 

Scotland may have its own government but it still needs permission from Boris to hold another referendum, which suggests that Westminster is the primary government and Holyrood is purely admin.