Ex-Marine 'could die alone in Thailand' after massive stroke as borders stay shut

rooster59

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

don't see him as placing himself on a pedastal, he is absolutely right. I am a stroke survivor, I had mine last year, I was 49 and although I was carrying a bit too much chunk around the trunk I was pretty fit and healthy. It happened to me on a plane, it can happen to absolutely anyone, any age. It is not fun and changes your life dramatically. I am lucky, lots of physio, lots of gym sessions and I have recovered and fingers crossed I will still be here for a good while yet. In fact I am slimmer and fitter now then before my stroke. This poor fella not as fortunate, he had the worse kind of stroke, very dangerous and low survival rate. If he does indeed survive I hope he can piece some kind of life back together, my thoughts go out to him and his family.

Good for you, glad to hear this. And you write honestly without trying to show yourself better than others. Which wasn't the case for the idiot I was making fun of.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

You have just added additional information, obviously I was not aware of that, your previous statement was 5 years working and 10 years NI contributions only.. You didnt say you were still paying today and you didn't say you were getting your stamp paid for 8 years.. Be clear next time, 

I didn't expect interrogation  - the purpose of my writing was to help Steve understand he could get a pension if he has worked in the UK, but he doesn't seem interested or appreciative, I shouldn't have bothered. 

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

His best option perhaps is one of the Military Charities, there a quite a few that may help, British Legion being one and Help for Heros. I hope someone helps, but the UK is not known for caring a monkeys toss about those who have served.  Its not the US, where they do seem to  care. 

Apart from POTUS.

8 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

What kind of flight is someone supposed to take who is paralyzed after a stroke and just had a part of his skull removed?

Read the facts before  posting drivvle!  They have raised enough money through "Go fund me" They have engaged an emergency medical evacuation company. The process will be easy if they can get permission to fly out.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

You ask why the Embassy is not helping him.

The answer is simple, they dont give a s++t about British citizens here.

12 years in Thailand, i see these reports over and over where ex-pats in trouble cannot get help from their embassies.  The most number of bad reports seem to come concerning the British embassy who it appears just don't want anything to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I didn't expect interrogation  - the purpose of my writing was to help Steve understand he could get a pension if he has worked in the UK, but he doesn't seem interested or appreciative, I shouldn't have bothered. 

You cant just get a state pension after chucking a few quid into the system though which is what you suggested with your first post. It takes a working life time of contributions, your post was misleading so  to be honest you deserved scrutiny. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

His best option perhaps is one of the Military Charities, there a quite a few that may help, British Legion being one and Help for Heros. I hope someone helps, but the UK is not known for caring a monkeys toss about those who have served.  Its not the US, where they do seem to  care. 

I am sure that i read that they have raised enough funds through "Go fund me" and that a medivac flight is available. It apparently is now up to the Thai gov to allow the flight to leave.

17 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

You cant just get a state pension after chucking a few quid into the system though which is what you suggested with your first post. It takes a working life time of contributions, your post was misleading so  to be honest you deserved scrutiny. 

I don't think it was, you were assuming I wasn't paying contributions now and won't pay many more years until I retire. Like I said it was to try to enlighten @SteveK who said he wouldn't receive any benefit from the NI he paid, which I find strange. 

8 hours ago, Jip99 said:

A Medivac type flight paid for by good insurance cover.

Only if there is a purpose in actually treating the insured policyholder abroad. The insurer will not charter a Medivac flight for 220,000 quid if the patient is going to die and no treatment is currently available to improve the situation.

From the description of the injuries per media it could very well be that there is swelling of the brain which adds additional complication to the transport. If the patient is indeed in a vegetative state then there won't be any evac flight forthcoming.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't think it was, you were assuming I wasn't paying contributions now and won't pay many more years until I retire. Like I said it was to try to enlighten @SteveK who said he wouldn't receive any benefit from the NI he paid, which I find strange. 

That's not what you said, pleas read your original post, enough now it's getting boring... 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

You ask why the Embassy is not helping him.

The answer is simple, they dont give a s++t about British citizens here.

simple:

Embasssy are in foreign countries to take care of the interest of rich companies,, government offical and their employess.

they do not care a sh..t about expat. or short term tourists.  they are there to make money - notoraizing, adding pages to passport from other.

1st ,this guy is obviously very sick.. what is he doing in Thailand. he should have left to home and be close to his family. It is not something that came suddenly, I am sure that his health was failingfor a while ..there are signs.

2nd. suprise that the corona virus did not get him

3rd. the Thai government will not hold him back.

4th. the problem is transportation.. there are no commercial flight to thailand .. 

5th. the only way is for the US givernment to bring him home in one of their planes. that costs a lots of money.  and who is going to pay for it ???

6th.do not know what kind of visa this guy has to be in thailand.

obviously retired visa.

This isutation is not the first and will not be the last. this is the price you pay for being  an expat. It is health..and where are you going to get treated and where are you going to die?

I feel sorry for the guy but there is no airlines who can take him home, even if he has insurance to bring him home in a casket. there is no airlines who will do that now.

All expat life in thailand has been turned upside down. the one in Thailand can't visiti home or leave for medical emergency because they cannot come back

and the one outside the country can't come back in and they still have to maintain residency in thailand and one abroad.

COvid19 changes all the rules now

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, DaveCW said:

This is shocking - The embassy also has a Military Attach attached to it - I had dealings a couple of years ago (Minor matter) and had swift response, with the issue settled quickly. The Lt Col and Warrant seemed ok at least. These guys are there not just as Military liaison for joint exercises, training etc, but also have a remit when it comes to military trade matters.

I hope it all turns out well for the lad and his family.

Never heard of an international ambulance service?  This is also something that may be covered by travel insurance.

The chap has been in Thailand for longer than travel insurance would cover. Thailand closed borders a few months ago. He surely wasn't a holidaymaker. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, fangless said:

I do feel sorry for the man but you don't think the Mirror is going to let the facts get in the way of a good "tug at the heart stings" story do you?

that is life.

the world "could die"  should be replace with " will die  ".

Let us assume he has money.. so the best his family cares for him is pay the money for his care and make arrangement for his death. that is it.

SO why is his family worry about him now.. when he left them to live in Thailand as a retiree. working as a free lance means that he is retired and don't have a lot of money.

There is nothing and nobody to blame the Thai govenment or any govenment for that matter. COVID 19 has restricted  everybody.

Every magaxine paints a rosy pictures about expat in any country. A lot of people enjoyed Thailand for a good many years wither working in China , or doing free lance work.. and most of the ex-marines are attracted to the thai girl.. easy to get them with small money, cheap food and liquor. Most of all, the easiness of the Thai govenment to let you move around . Also, Thailand has attracted thugs and criminals . 

Now with COVID 19 all has changed.. Ex pat does not sound great anymore. Most ex-pat must have a plan B. you are in Thailand to live then stay there and dont' leave.

If you are expat and outside Thailand- forget it you are not coming back for a good year and pay a lot of money. Best to liquidity your apartment in Bangkok and your visa will expire anyhow,

if you have health issue then leave thailand for few years. Dont wait till it get worse.

and there will be no airlines who will take you in a casket either.

The Thai expat life is destroyed..go to plan B

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, the green light said:

when he left them to live in Thailand as a retiree.

He did not retire to Thailand.

He was working in South Africa but came to Thailand on a holiday/Buddhist retreat and ended up in hospital here after the "visa amnesty" kicked in!

I suggest you read before you post in future. Especially on a sensitive topic.

This may help you;  (from the link in the OP)

"The super fit ex-soldier, now works as a freelance contractor for anti poaching units in South Africa, stopping the super rich from killing animals on safari.

He had planned to take a few months out in Thailand, as he does most years, to have a break for his mind to practice Buddhism and to focus on his fitness.

But the 50-year-old from Battersea, London, was found collapsed in his hotel room in Chiang Mai and rushed to hospital, having suffered a massive stroke."

Edited by fangless

14 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Very sad story and I hope it ends well for him and his family.

Some people never get it, when you move to Thailand, that you are one emergency away.

He did not move to Thailand. He was on holiday.

Another poster who cannot read before posting

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fangless said:

He did not retire to Thailand.

He was working in South Africa but came to Thailand on a holiday/Buddhist retreat and ended up in hospital here!!

I suggest you read before you post.

you are so correct, folks should read the entire story before posting but of course many are in a hurry to grind their own ax they just post in a knee jerk fashion.

My two cents worth is that he doesn't have to die alone, which I hope doesn't happen, when there are so many concerned countrymen here in Thailand and on TV who appear to be interested in his situation. Or perhaps some just want to use his story to blurt out their own spleen.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Letseng said:

The chap has been in Thailand for longer than travel insurance would cover. Thailand closed borders a few months ago. He surely wasn't a holidaymaker. 

Dear "Letsing" are you in Thailand, in fact are you on this planet? 

Do you not understand "Covid19/Visa Amnesty" and how it changes peoples' circumstances, especially after an enforced stay in a foreign country and after a major medical emergency.  ?

Something about this story doesn't make sense. There are lots of options here, and the border closing has no relevance to exiting Thailand. However, if he needs immediate medical care that involves surgery, Thailand physicians may be incompetent depending on the medical protocol.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, the green light said:

1st ,this guy is obviously very sick.. what is he doing in Thailand. he should have left to home and be close to his family. It is not something that came suddenly, I am sure that his health was failingfor a while ..there are signs.

2nd. suprise that the corona virus did not get him

3rd. the Thai government will not hold him back.

4th. the problem is transportation.. there are no commercial flight to thailand .. 

5th. the only way is for the US givernment to bring him home in one of their planes. that costs a lots of money.  and who is going to pay for it ???

6th.do not know what kind of visa this guy has to be in thailand.

obviously retired visa.

Your post is total garbage. All six points are wrong! My response to each is as follows;

1.  He had a heart attack

2. Nothing to do with Covid

3. The Thai Government do not appear to be holding him back

4 He is trying to leave Thailand, not enter

5 He is a UK NOT a US citizen

6 Not a retiree visa he was on holiday and got held back by the "Covid/Visa Amnesty" situation.

• Like 1

I totally agree with the comment above about our so called Embassy here in Thailand. I have written to them 5 times and I have had no reply.

This Ex-Marine should be allowed to leave Thailand and I would of thought The Marine Corp would come and get him if they know. There is a Emergency Royal Air Force Plane equipped to deal with type of incident.

They could come an get him.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Don't you believe it. I had dealings a few years ago, for the company I worked for,  with the Commercial Staff at the Bangkok Embassy, all Thais, they were obstructionist, unhelpful, pretended not to understand  and less than useless.  The reason, we would have been in competition with the Thai Navy for a particular contract. It was so obvious as to be laughable.  We appealed to the Ambassador to intervene, and he did nothing and yet we were trying to do a deal that would have benefited UK. 

Agree, they are only the conduit of information,if that(conduit) is blocked or not used, mai pen rei.

• Like 1