Source of new domestic COVID-19 infection being sought

rooster59

Source of new domestic COVID-19 infection being sought

Praphorn Praphornkul

b3836d468497e9e2be17db9357dcd64a_small.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT)-The Ministry of Public Health is urgently seeking the source of a COVID-19 infection detected at a prison, while also searching for signs of any further spread of the virus.

The Director of the Division of Communicable Diseases, Dr. Sopon Iamsirithaworn, said that the Thai male found to be infected with COVID-19 upon being checked into prison began exhibiting symptoms on August 29, including a mucus build up, before he was sent to the Corrections Hospital.

The division has pinpointed three locations at risk of further infection, going back 14 days before the man’s illness was uncovered. Authorities have contacted people who visited the locations using their Thai Chana data, saying they are confident most people who have come into contact with the individual have been located. Some 200 people have so far been tested with no positive result as yet.

Six members of the man’s family were tested with five found to have traces of the virus. A total of 156 people who came into contact with the individual during his visit to the Criminal Court are to be observed for a total of 14 days despite testing negative to infection.

A public health official in Nonthaburi province, Dr. Sariddet Charoenchai, has reported findings of an inspection undertaken at "Three Days Two Nights", an entertainment venue where the infected person had worked as a disc jockey (DJ). It was found that the man had been at the venue on two days between the times of 10 pm and 1am, spending his entire time in an isolated area. While the venue has been closed for several days, it was found that 20 people came into contact with the individual, three of whom were customers. So far, 16 of the total have been contacted for testing.

The Director-General of the Department of Medical Sciences, Dr. Opas Karnkawinpong, said the Director-General of the Department of Mental Health, Dr. Kiattiphum Wongrajit, who was tasked with heading the Ministry of Public Health’s investigation team, has ordered a DNA assessment of the patient’s infection to decipher its strain.

Dr. Kiattiphum indicated that the patient has been isolated at the hospital and is showing few symptoms apart from mucus. He is under close supervision as are all others who came into contact with him. He acknowledged public concerns over the case, which is the first domestic infection in over 100 days, and explained that the infection may have come from a person from abroad or an asymptomatic individual in the country.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-09-06

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Six members of the man’s family were tested with five found to have traces of the virus

So, are they positive and if so, how many other people have been in contact with these five?

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Six members of the man’s family were tested with five found to have traces of the virus

So we have 5 more additional domestic cases....???

What does this mean, traces of the virus..seems to me their infected? So track and trace needs to be done with them aswell...?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The main fact here is that, had he not been arrested, he would not have been tested and would still be among the main Thai population, and probably of very minimal risk to the average person.

I agree that probably would have faced a minimal risk to the average person.

Interesting is, however, that such locations like discotheques - which are normally crowded and operating in closed rooms - are still prohibited to reopen in European countries for good reasons. For the concentration of exhaled contaminated aerosoles, these places are quite the opposite of open and well ventilated restaurants and bars at beaches, for example.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

BANGKOK(NNT)-The Ministry of Public Health is urgently seeking the source of a COVID-19 infection detected at a prison, while also searching for signs of any further spread of the virus.

Not a  hope in hell of finding the source, finding his movements is one thing, finding everyone who was there at the same time is impossible.

This inability to trace the Source of the original infection does not sit well with me.

Here we have just One individual that has been tested as positive, with 5 family members also now  testing positive. Therefore all the contact tracing has to be done for those people.

Should the Borders be reopened to Tourists, this clearly demonstrates to me that the Thai Authorities and their various systems and methods of testing are just not cutting it. Many Tourists ( even if only 100,000 people ) would present a threat to Thailand that the Country is clearly not capable of handling.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Six members of the man’s family were tested with five found to have traces of the virus.

That's 6 more infections detected right there, one of them will likely be the source of this guys infection.

I wonder when they will show up in the official numbers?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

This inability to trace the Source of the original infection does not sit well with me.

Here we have just One individual that has been tested as positive, with 5 family members also now  testing positive. Therefore all the contact tracing has to be done for those people.

Should the Borders be reopened to Tourists, this clearly demonstrates to me that the Thai Authorities and their various systems and methods of testing are just not cutting it. Many Tourists ( even if only 100,000 people ) would present a threat to Thailand that the Country is clearly not capable of handling.

We all know that Thailand has a problem to finance more tests. I remember they once (around last April) even announced that as the reason why they do not test more. And we all know that Thailand needs its money for more important things like submarines and funny uniforms for its thousands of generals.

Given that the cost of a test is around 3000 Baht, I would be willing to support this proud nation by paying for my test myself as soon as they will let me in again. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

That's 6 more infections detected right there, one of them will likely be the source of this guys infection.

I wonder when they will show up in the official numbers?

Now they've also got to carry out the contact tracing on all known contacts with those 6 family members.

• Like 1

Just now, DrTuner said:

New tests from Abbot and similar are 5 usd per pop, 15min. I bet you won't see those here, simply because there's too much face to lose know after the 100 day charade. If the real situation was uncovered the loss would be gigantic.

Testing would uncover the truth.

• Like 2

There is a big discussion among scientists now, mainly Europe and US, that the way PCR tests are evaluated now may be too sensitive. They should search for high virus loads and not detect any virus RNA.

An asymptomatic case has a low virus load and the probability that they spread the virus is very low.

On the other hand pre-symptomatic cases (some days before the person shows symptoms) could very well spread the virus.

To my understanding a less sensitive PCR-test could separate the infectious cases from the non-infectious.

It's pathetic that they're trumpeting 200 tests in a situation like this, when some developed countries can carry out millions of tests per week. Just cancel the stupid submarines permanently and spend the money buying the testing kits from places that know how to do this. Mass testing would also give them much more confidence about how safe it might be to allow tourists back in. 

• Like 1