Don’t leave it to the last minute! Thai Immigration reminds foreigners ahead of amnesty deadline

rooster59

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A letter from your Embassy (if your flights have been repeatedly cancelled or your country is closed off). 

Or, a letter from a Hospital with a medical reason someone cannot travel. 

Unfortunately, this doesn’t help those unmarried fathers of Thai/foreign children who have never obtained parental status (legally) and cannot apply for Non-Imm Type O, or those who cannot meet the 400k requirement. 

The regulations have existed for a long time, there have been numerous ways to ’side step’ those regulations until the Emergency Decree effectively locked down Thailands borders for those who would ‘border-run’.

Its extremely harsh and unfair, while at the same time those in this situation must have known they were borrowing time as the visa requirements were tightening over the past few years - these folk must have felt the walls closing in around them. 

An awful shame for many in a difficult situation.

You post like Mother Teresa, smithy. As you say they have had ample time to prepare, and why didn't they get the correct status anyway, before all this covid nonsense? Unlike yourself, I have zero sympathy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trucking said:

Glad they have made this announcement. Hope it has finally filtered down to every immigration office that this is the correct official line and they will stop saying the extension begins on day of application.

So all those who were thinking to do it at the last day possible to save a few satang can now relax ....  

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

People who came to Thailand as a tourist back in January / February MUST have seen all of Thailand by now .

What else to do you want to see and where else do you want to go ?

What does Apple have to do with orange?

2 hours ago, andy8017 said:

I am still waiting for a new passport which I applied for in May ,? they are using Covid & every other excuse under the sun it seems ,but it is obvious the UK civil service Unions are making everything difficult .!

I'm not sure how the passport process works but I suppose it depends on how practical it is to do working from home. Plus there may be difficulties if there is a lack of space in offices. Finally they are printed in Poland I think so there may be problems there as well. 

I hope you get it sorted soon. Nobody needs extra stress right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A tourist who thinks they are being ‘forced’ to leave has not understood their conditions of entry into Thailand in the first place. 

oh, they will still be 'forced' to leave. that step comes after "locked up", "fined", but before "blacklisted"

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:
11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A tourist who thinks they are being ‘forced’ to leave has not understood their conditions of entry into Thailand in the first place. 

oh, they will still be 'forced' to leave. that step comes after "locked up", "fined", but before "blacklisted"

Indeed, the consequences of ‘breaking contact’ - which in effect is what a visa is. Permission to enter a country for a specific time frame, the visitor / tourist agrees to those conditions. 

1 minute ago, vandeventer said:

Call me stupid, as I see nowhere that they will not give another amnesty

Have you seen anywhere that they [Thai Government / Immigration] will ‘extend’ amnesty when they have already made a very clear announcement which clearly outlines the end of the Amnesty ??

The absence of any such announcement does not by any stretch of the imagination mean there may be an extension. 

Thai immigration should NOT have given the two loopholes of embassy letter and medical cert. All these will be circumvented by unscrupulous people to extend their visa indefinitely.

Immigration should list the countries where flights are available for their own citizens, there's no excuse if their home country allow flights back.

As for medical cert, this can be abused by certain private medical doctors. It should only for serious incapacitating medical problems and certified by government hospitals. ie. they are unable to move.

Minor problems like common cold, diarrhea, mild fever, high blood pressure with quick recovery time shouldn't be issued. As usual, immigration don't think comprehensively enough.

Edited by warcy
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I sure hope this announcement is spread far and wide.  It has been out for quite along time already, so I will unfortunately not feel to bad for those that wait until the final week, and start to squeal "We did not know, or we did not have enough time".  I do feel for those on the Non O ME visa's who were not able to get out and back in every 90 days to keep the Visa active, and I do understand why many with families went this route because of there jobs and such.  I have always wondered why the Non Imm O-A ME Visa and the Non Imm O ME visa were not treated the same with 90 day reporting's and a 1 year stay granted.  Must have been a reason way back when they made the rules.  I know that the O_A I am on is for retirement, and the O is for visiting family, but if over 55 and still working somewhere outside of Thailand the O is best for them.  Should be some continuity, but then I am sure many are under the age and work abroad, in the oil industry, or work as digital nomads.  In reality there should be a way to go to immigration every 90 days on those O visas and extend for another 90 days, instead of every 60 days to get a 30 day extension, and then having to bounce out and then back in.  Maybe it was all about the money.  When I first came here many many years ago I was on a 30 day, which I would fly out and then back in and renew on arrival.  When I married, and because I was under the age and still working in the US I went the Non Imm O ME route, then finally an extension of stay based on the Non Imm O until that was no longer good for me, Then to my current Non Imm O-A ME, which will now be turned into an extension when it expires because I can not fly out and back in to add another year to it.  So many different rules, that staying up to speed can be hard for someone who never takes the time to learn the rules and get the true information from others such as Ubon Joe, Peter Denis and the others. I wish everyone the best in the upcoming days.

Nice write ,  I’m hoping that I can get back in thai before my retirement visa expires in end of November, but guess no one knows not even the government ????lol

missing GF of 7yrs, home, pickup, bike, cat dogs, Been away since January ,

dog died, both chickens died and cat gone missing. 

Edited by flyingfox1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm waiting until the final week because I'm expecting the government to announce another extension.

And the government always leaves it until the final week.

Don't think that's going to happen, this announcement is clear.

Sort out a visa/extension or you're going to be paying fines !

14 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Youve been a tourist for well over 8 months , just how much more of Thailand do you want to tour ?

I think Frank Sinatra would have sung :

There's a few more lonesome cities that I'd like to see
While the wine of wondering is still inside of me
There's a few more pretty women that I'd like to know
Bridge or two I'd like to cross, a few more oats to sow
Maybe when I've done it all, seen all there is to see
I'll find out I still cannot run away from me
But as long as trains keep running, restless man I'll be

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, BestB said:

What does Apple have to do with orange?

This? 

Capture.JPG.99f3a80e690c1cbd879e328172857b96.JPG

Yes I know this is a serious issue, but this is about as much help as all the bickering over semantics going on here. ????

So yeah, haven't really been paying attention to recent developments, please clue me in:

My non-O (marriage, 400k in the bank route) extension ends 22 December 2020.

My next 90 days report is due on 23 September 2020.

What does the OP imply in my case, then?