Don’t leave it to the last minute! Thai Immigration reminds foreigners ahead of amnesty deadline

rooster59

2 hours ago, johnc925 said:

Why would I go earlier than the 26th to extend my 30 days? I'm cheating myself by going earlier. I have an extension letter from the US Embassy. I am unable to go abroad and come back to obtain a non-immigrant Visa to process a marriage visa. The policy of most countries including Thailand is a 14-day quarantine. It makes no sense whatsoever to go abroad. Let alone I am a high-risk disabled retiree. 

I can understand people hanging on to see if there is another extension, but you won't lose any days by getting it now as your extension will start from the 26th September whether you go in tomorrow or any day up to 26th.

The difference will be that if (as expected) there's no announcement of a new amnesty by next Tuesday's (15th) cabinet meeting then immigration offices are going to be very busy...  

17 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I can understand people hanging on to see if there is another extension, but you won't lose any days by getting it now as your extension will start from the 26th September whether you go in tomorrow or any day up to 26th.

The difference will be that if (as expected) there's no announcement of a new amnesty by next Tuesday's (15th) cabinet meeting then immigration offices are going to be very busy...  

I fully understand that those who did not yet use their once-per-entry 'regular' 30-day extension of stay (which their Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entitles them to), or their once-per-entry 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting their thai wife / thai dependant child(ren), are reluctant to apply before the final days of the Amnesty.  It's not so much a matter that they would not be losing any days (the start-date of any extension is now 27 September), but rather that in case the Cabinet would announce a 3rd Amnesty extension, they would have wasted that precious 'Joker' they still have up their sleeve.

Note: Those on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa Entry, need to make a decision in course of coming 3 days, because their deadline to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa is 11 September (such application can only be done when having at least 15 days left on your permission to stay).  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I completely disagree with you. They renew it from the day that you go into the office, not going to be from the 26th. Where did you get that information?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2020 at 6:51 AM, PatrickC said:

In Thailand, legally, if you're here more than half the year, you are obliged to pay income taxes from any funds derived from foreign sources and brought into the country.

If you've been here since March, you are now legally, per tax law, obliged to file and pay taxes. That money you draw from the ATM is funds derived from foreign sources and so qualifies as taxable. 

You are breaking the law if you don't pay tax on this. I'll write to the authorities and point this out.

You're not stuck here. There are flights out. Qatar Airways, KLM etc.

Please do. See how your letter is received. There might be a polite thank you and it will be filed in the nutter bin.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Am I the only one amused by the represented foreigner on Immigration's announcement? White, receding hairline, with a bagpack and eyes down on his phone.

Think about it, if that announcement wasn't made to milk farang

(as opposed to conveying accurate information in good faith to all people on amnesty), wouldn't the announcement aim to get the attention of ALL people on amesty? (Indians, Arabs, SE Asians, Chinese, etc)

They aim the announcement to whites because they know they're the group likely to succumb to pressure and go to agents.

Kind of amusing how people take these goofy ass flyers as gospel instead of waiting for the decision of the people who are actually in charge.

Edited by Seik
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Seik said:

Am I the only one amused by the represented foreigner on Immigration's announcement? White, receding hairline, with a bagpack and eyes down on his phone.

Kind of amusing how people take these  goofy ass flyers as gospel instead of waiting for the decision of the people who are actually in charge.

So in your view Immigration is not in charge of issuing your Visa, or extensions, but someone else is.  Not sure if you realize it but no matter what the regulations say and are in code, Immigration interprets things there own way, and each IO is different than the next.  Let me know how you get along believing that there are other people who decisions are adhered to.

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So in your view Immigration is not in charge of issuing your Visa, or extensions, but someone else is.

They are not in charge of deciding what happens come 26 of September in regards to the amnesty. You fail to answer my main point, why target whites on the flyer if not to milk that specific group?

Edited by Seik

3 hours ago, johnc925 said:

I completely disagree with you. They renew it from the day that you go into the office, not going to be from the 26th. Where did you get that information?

This is just sad. Having outspoken opinions but being that ignorant to not even look at the HEADLINE OF THE BIG PICTURE in the very post you are replying to. 

Edited by thanaka

45 minutes ago, Seik said:

They are not in charge of deciding what happens come 26 of September in regards to the amnesty. You fail to answer my main point, why target whites on the flyer if not to milk that specific group?

In your view he is White.  Mine is it is a generalized picture of all foreigners, albeit in Technocolor.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) running the VIet consulate issued my last VISA.

Nothing to do with immigration.

Understanding what happens outside of the country at the local consulate generals locations in each of the foreign countries is a little different than what happens here in-country, but then you new that BritManToo.  Sort of like the issue of O-A Visa holders after October 31st, 2019 requiring insurance and the Consulates issuing the Visa correctly, yet arrival in Thailand after October 31st did not require the insurance for those folks, myself included, but it did not stop the IO's from interpreting it differently and then it took a while to get the CF all figured out and done the right way.  Much the same as with this amnesty and those folks being either stuck or to much in there own world to give 2 shakes of a lambs tail.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:46 AM, BestB said:

Do not need to give amnesty , just make easy extensions and make money out of it as well. 

You, sir, are making sense and have No Place here.  Leave the country and continent immediately, if not sooner.

• Like 2

I went to CW today to do my visa extension, 1-yr. i arrived at 10am and got queue #103... out by 2:30pm, I had all my docs in order. My section and the other visa extension areas looked full, albeit with every other seat off limits.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2020 at 11:19 AM, trucking said:

But if you apply for your 60 days before the 26th , then during that time your 400,000 would have seasoned the 2 months and you can then apply for a 1 year extension later.

That approach was confirmed when I visited my local immigration.

Be very careful applying too early. I got a 60 day extension today and it started today so runs out on November 8th. My local Immigration Office are ignoring the deferred start date for early extensions and don't give a <deleted>.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Be very careful applying too early. I got a 60 day extension today and it started today so runs out on November 8th. My local Immigration Office are ignoring the deferred start date for early extensions and don't give a <deleted>.

What did they say when you showed them the pictures on immigration's website which say that all extensions start on 27th?

12 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Sept 27 start date any Visa or extension application.jpg

Kanchanaburi Immigration dated my 60 day extension from today so it runs out November 8th so it seems it's pot luck if your local Immi Office follows the promise of dating it to start from Sept 27th.

A call to 1178 was useless in getting any help.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:
11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So in your view Immigration is not in charge of issuing your Visa, or extensions, but someone else is.  

The MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) running the VIet consulate issued my last VISA.

Nothing to do with immigration.

Except that Immigration can use their discretion and turn you back at the border, even if you have a nice, shiny MFA visa.

6 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Kanchanaburi Immigration dated my 60 day extension from today so it runs out November 8th so it seems it's pot luck if your local Immi Office follows the promise of dating it to start from Sept 27th.

A call to 1178 was useless in getting any help.

You could go back, politely point out you should have been stamped in until November 26th & they can change it for you... 

But if it were me, I'd be happy with the 60 days and use it to get myself ready for the 12 month extension.    

FWIW CW granted my extension until 26th September 2021, I applied on the 19th August & my permission to stay was due to expire on the 17th September so I got an extra 9 days...

Downside is, without breaking the chain of extensions, I'm now stuck with exactly the same extension date as 100s/1000s of other people so can look forward to an even more crowded immigration for years to come ????  

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2