Rival groups square off at Kentucky Derby as summer of protests grinds on

rooster59

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

But he could always call in the army, he's very popular with the military right now.

He tested that idea earlier, .remember? The Donald was told he cannot have active military serving in law enforcement capacity ... well, not unless martial law is declared.

It is sad to see people rioting,  looting, and burning American cities businesses to the ground.  

But then you have to believe that the good people of America, the good deeds...far outweighs the occasional bad actor.

Protesting is a constitutional right...burning down people's businesses is not!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

OK. But over the last 3.5 years trump has had no regard whatever for the law or for what is moral or ethical.

But of course that can't be, everybody knows he's the absolute president of law and order. 

Agreed but the U.S. military will not obey. That is why he used Border Patrol, other federal agencies for law enforcement to be sent in. He does still present a clear and present danger. What is even scarier for me is U.S. citizens voluntarily supporting him. I have already said, if he is re-elected, I will have lost my country and will no longer be able to support. Oh, the fascists can do without me, I know my insignificance, but the history will show nonetheless, that this citizen, having DNA from before the founding ... is lost.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

He tested that idea earlier, .remember? The Donald was told he cannot have active military serving in law enforcement capacity ... well, not unless martial law is declared.

I think you missed the sarcasm in that post!!

6 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Agreed but the U.S. military will not obey. That is why he used Border Patrol, other federal agencies for law enforcement to be sent in. He does still present a clear and present danger. What is even scarier for me is U.S. citizens voluntarily supporting him. I have already said, if he is re-elected, I will have lost my country and will no longer be able to support. Oh, the fascists can do without me, I know my insignificance, but the history will show nonetheless, that this citizen, having DNA from before the founding ... is lost.

What is your source of information that the US military will not obey Trump?

5 hours ago, MajarTheLion said:

Don't the US military make their oath of allegiance to the Constitution of The United States, rather than to The President of The United States?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MajarTheLion said:

While no one can predict an unknown future, this issue has already been approached by The Donald. The result was that the legal advisors stated that there is law on the books already forbidding the use, as I stated. Absolute proof ... no but as a student of history I can be fairly assured, especially in light of near term events. Kind of like predicting what a ruling from the SCOTUS will be in light of recent rulings. in addition, all US military members take an Oath to uphold the Constitution, that includes their Chain of Command. there is little if anything suggesting the US military would participate in a coup d'etat.

On 9/6/2020 at 4:31 PM, wwest5829 said:

Is that what Eisenhower did, when he federalized the national-guard, to integrate a school? 

It seems to me, having your life threatened by mobs, and/or your life's-work business burned down, would qualify as a civil-rights violation. 

Trump tweeting "Law and Order," while doing nothing to protection Americans lives and property for months, was a disgrace.

10 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Don't the US military make their oath of allegiance to the Constitution of The United States, rather than to The President of The United States?

Yes, and who is the commander-in-chief, under the Constitution?  Not that it matters, because Jared's orders stand - no protection for Americans from the mobs.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Is that what Eisenhower did, when he federalized the national-guard, to integrate a school? 

It seems to me, having your life threatened by mobs, and/or your life's-work business burned down, would qualify as a civil-rights violation. 

Trump tweeting "Law and Order," while doing nothing to protection Americans lives and property for months, was a disgrace.

Eisenhower was enforcing the ruling of the Supreme Court in Brown versus the Board of Education declaring “separate by equal” schools were inherently unequal. There is no SCOTUS ruling to be enforced here. It is up to the elected state Executive Branch representatives to enforce unless they state that they are unable to handle their law enforcement responsibilities and ask for federal help. Even then ... active military cannot be assigned to law enforcement without declaring martial law. Of course, the way our system works The Donald can try an action and deal with the Judicial Branch ruling ( he has had both success and failure on recent court battles). As to a “civil-rights violation ... free to take it to court. “Law and Oder” has been heard before in both the anti-Vietnam War protests and earlier Civil Rights battles.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, and who is the commander-in-chief, under the Constitution?  Not that it matters, because Jared's orders stand - no protection for Americans from the mobs.

The President, as Commander-in-Chief still has no legal authority to issue and un-Constitutional order.

• Like 2