Trump says he minimized coronavirus, didn't want to create panic: Woodward book

webfact

9 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

None of that applies to my comment which was that Trump is just trying to massage Woodward into a higher opinion of him based on the kind of between-us-serious-guys-we-can-talk-frankly-about-the-real-situation. Woodward for his part is going right along with it.  He knows how to give a guy enough rope to hang himself.

Trump is doing what psychopaths do, which is to manipulate people.  If rage works, then he'll rage at the guy.  If not, he can switch to charm without missing a beat.  It's all the same to him.  That's what Trump is demonstrating in the clip cited.

Trump was no match for Woodward. walked right into the trap.  should have know this, but little lord Jared encouraged the interview.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"I wanted to always play it down," Trump told Woodward on March 19, days after he declared a national emergency. "I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

"The fact is I'm a cheerleader for this country. I love our country and I don't want people to be frightened," Trump said at a White House event

great U turn, out of desperation he's changing his rhetoric, too late too little, it's not working a "pig" with a suit still a pig

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

You can't have any of those things if you are dead.

How many people died unnecessarily due to Trump not wanting to tell the truth? He knew it was airborne, yet, he still held conventions with no social distancing and denigrated mask wearing. Shows you just how much he thinks of his own supporters.....

Thank you, KB. I was about to say similar.

And he is still holding rallies where he mocks mask wearing and social distancing..sensible precautions that any leader in their right mind should be promoting rather than politicizing. Watch out for the second wave as winter approaches just in time for the election. Lets hope the candidate who treats this pandemic more seriously than his ego wins.

195,239 dead Americans would love to have had a bit of panic instilled in them to safeguard against this pandemic..rather than bleach and bright lights.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/#:~:text=United States Coronavirus%3A 6%2C549%2C475 Cases and 195%2C239 Deaths - Worldometer

Edited by dexterm
  • Like 2

Yes, Trump could have done a much better job in leading the fight against the virus.  Had Hillary or Joe been in office I am certain they would have done a magnificent job.  Strikes me the the greater failing in all of this was how unprepared the public and community health organizations were to combat the virus.  No masks, no ventilators, no tracing plans, painfully slow get decent tests into the hands of healthcare providers etc etc.  Was this Trumps fault?  Well maybe some of it.  What is clear is that the US really was unprepared to handle any kind of public health issue on a mass scale.  That unpreparedness has been in the making long before Trump came on the scene.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Yes, Trump could have done a much better job in leading the fight against the virus.  Had Hillary or Joe been in office I am certain they would have done a magnificent job.  Strikes me the the greater failing in all of this was how unprepared the public and community health organizations were to combat the virus.  No masks, no ventilators, no tracing plans, painfully slow get decent tests into the hands of healthcare providers etc etc.  Was this Trumps fault?  Well maybe some of it.  What is clear is that the US really was unprepared to handle any kind of public health issue on a mass scale.  That unpreparedness has been in the making long before Trump came on the scene.

You have point. There don't have any coundry who prepared for this covid! But anyway like Trump had say him self: he had plenty time to do something , before hole sht was already in fan! :hit-the-fan:He wait until it was in face! And full face coz nobody wear mask! And still he not do nothing much, only let sht still fly!

Edited by 2 is 1

26 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

What is clear is that the US really was unprepared to handle any kind of public health issue on a mass scale.  

on/with some type of situations, virus outbreaks, hurricanes, public (peaceful) demonstrations, etc., a country needs a leader with a head on the shoulders with the main concern being to make citizens fell safe/secure and not create havoc divisions, citizens need a leader with knowledge that should put aside his/her egocentric personality and should accept  others views/advise mostly when it comes to proven science, a leader who doesn't blame others for his/her own failures....

• Like 1

In effect POTUS may, according to his position on delaying direct government action against the covid-19 pandemic in the US, have committed negligent homicide against now about 190,000 American deaths and injury to hundreds of thousands Americans. 

In the alternative if his delay was intentional with full knowledge of the disease' infection and mortality rate, he may have committed mass homicide and injury.

In either case the survivors of the deceased and recovered patients might have cause to file a class lawsuit against Trump personally. See www. cochranfirmdc.com, "How to sue the federal government" under the Federal Tort Claims Act. 

As a billionaire, I'm sure Trump can cover the personal cost of litigation and payout any court awarded damages. Or he can get a loan from Putin (again?).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

"I wanted to always play it down," Trump told Woodward on March 19, days after he declared a national emergency. "I still like playing it down, because I don't want to create a panic."

This seems like the defense-du-jour.

Imagining past presidents facing monumental challenges trying to minimize a threat? Lincoln, FDR.

Yes, Woodrow Wilson massively messed up with the 1918 pandemic, epically so, In fact trump has made some/all fo the same mistakes.

Clearly a leader with gravitas can step into the moment and lead. Honestly all trump had to do was like the bare minimum on the pandemic, and he would have coasted to a landslide victory. Instead, he made every single mistake he could, almost as if he wants to fail.

Hearing his pitiful, weasely voice on the tapes, all while sniffling endlessly, is quite the eye-opener.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

That was the last, best chance for the US to be S. Korea or Taiwan, both of whom were closely monitoring the new virus in China and kicked off their carefully prepared plans in Dec. 2019.

This is actually not accurate. Of course, they were more apt to decrypt information from China due to geographical and cultural proximity. They were also more sensitive to epidemic risk and more experienced, having been hit by SARS and MERS previously.

However, they only started to organise a response after Jan. 20, I.e. by creating a strategic committee, inciting labs and companies to produce tests, etc...

What they did in a few weeks, the US could have easily done it in nearly two months.

Another good example is Germany. It was exactly at the same level of information as the US at the end of January: both had a seat at the WHO executive board and had access to all information processed by the WHO.

When the outburst occured on Feb. 25/26, Germany was ready (tests, equipment, organisation, etc...). When the outburst started in the US 3 weeks later, the country was not ready.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-exemplar-south-korea

https://theconversation.com/what-coronavirus-success-of-taiwan-and-iceland-has-in-common-140455

https://www.ft.com/content/cc1f650a-91c0-4e1f-b990-ee8ceb5339ea

Edited by candide

Check out the first two comments to this post. 

Apparently their first thoughts were to immediately go into sycophantic defense mode. 

Naturally they anticipated the barrage of indignation the post would bring. It's turned into a full time job keeping up with Fearless Leader's gaffs. 

Insecurity much? 

But as always, entertaining to witness. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, simple1 said:

Yet his supporters still go through amazing contortions to try and support him; bizarre.

And not only his supporters, when truth and reason are obviously missing in anything that Trump says, and what surprises me even more is that his close coterie, including the bimbo Kayleigh McEnamy can actually stand and face the American public and openly lie, so she is either so dumb and on the same level as trump, or she is a persistent liar like her boss......... either way it is absolutely pathetic to watch these liars strut their stuff.

America should be ashamed of itself for electing this pile of excrement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

And not only his supporters, when truth and reason are obviously missing in anything that Trump says, and what surprises me even more is that his close coterie, including the bimbo Kayleigh McEnamy can actually stand and face the American public and openly lie, so she is either so dumb and on the same level as trump, or she is a persistent liar like her boss......... either way it is absolutely pathetic to watch these liars strut their stuff.

America should be ashamed of itself for electing this pile of excrement.

Kayleigh McEnamy is not a bimbo, she's highly educated. Why has she gone down the path she's currently on? - no idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayleigh_McEnany

• Thanks 1