Ford Mustang 5.0

AlfHuy

22 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yeah land of the free..... rip-off merchants.

Maybe western countries should put 300% import tax on cars made in Thailand.

So because Thailand punishes it's population with high taxes, you think other countries should punish there populations as well. 

How does that make sense? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Not just Thailand, all ASEAN members have high taxes on imported cars and parts. If I'm not mistaken, Singapore is the worst in terms of car prices. Believe it or not, this is what automakers asked for high import duties in order to protect their manufacturing in Thailand and sell cars in this region. Couple years ago I bought new face-lifted S-class for 8 million baht. This is the model produced and sold in Thailand, and exported to various countries. Imported S-class models like the ones with V8 engines are well over 15 million baht. Maybach S-class is 24 million if I recall correctly.

But there is a good new. It is going to get cheaper due to trade agreements signed years ago with many countries. High taxes on imported car have been gradually shrinking over the years, and it will continue to get even cheaper over the next few years. The equivalent model of S-class of 5 years ago costed 12 million. It became 4 million baht cheaper when I bought mine. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, sitti said:

Not just Thailand, all ASEAN members have high taxes on imported cars and parts. If I'm not mistaken, Singapore is the worst in terms of car prices. Believe it or not, this is what automakers asked for high import duties in order to protect their manufacturing in Thailand and sell cars in this region. Couple years ago I bought new face-lifted S-class for 8 million baht. This is the model produced and sold in Thailand, and exported to various countries. Imported S-class models like the ones with V8 engines are well over 15 million baht. Maybach S-class is 24 million if I recall correctly.

But there is a good new. It is going to get cheaper due to trade agreements signed years ago with many countries. High taxes on imported car have been gradually shrinking over the years, and it will continue to get even cheaper over the next few years. The equivalent model of S-class of 5 years ago costed 12 million. It became 4 million baht cheaper when I bought mine. 

As I understand it, the excessive cost in Singapore is due to registration fees more so than import duties.

So why does your made in Thailand S class cost twice as much has a similar vehicle in the US? It's not imported.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So because Thailand punishes it's population with high taxes, you think other countries should punish there populations as well. 

How does that make sense? 

Not punish western people, just make Thailand see the error of it's ways and change... which it would do in  a heartbeat.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

About 20 years ago someone i knew brought few used Benz cars from the UK into Klong toi without doing his homework and got hit with a massive tax and import chargers that he had no choice but to leave them behind there to rote in the port...  

In TVF some years ago there was an article of cars in Thailand waiting to be paid tax by the importers.

The custom storage facilities were loaded with these cars, just standing there. Not being payed for.

In the meantime customs had to take care for the cars.

There was an auction this year, the same cars? No 300% tax? 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

As I understand it, the excessive cost in Singapore is due to registration fees more so than import duties.

So why does your made in Thailand S class cost twice as much has a similar vehicle in the US? It's not imported.

Because not every part of my car is made in Thailand. Engine and transmission are imported from Germany. And many other electronic components are imported from various part of the world.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yeah land of the free..... rip-off merchants.

Maybe western countries should put 300% import tax on cars made in Thailand.

Sadly I agree a number of things I do agree with Trump is the trade imbalance. Ford do have plants in Thailand but the Mustang isn't made here thus the cost just like Lexus models also up the roof. Take this to the super market and it is even worse.  I was at Tops yesterday love to eat chips but living here I have cut back for a number of reason chips and ice cream so a small bag of Kettle Chips salt and pepper sign said sale this mini bag would cost in the U.S. like a quarter of a buck but I treated myself after check out it was 59 baht once opened there were like 5 chips inside boy although little I did enjoy them I was thinking what oil do they use what a difference?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not punish western people, just make Thailand see the error of it's ways and change... which it would do in  a heartbeat.

How is it not punishing people that want to buy those vehicles?

What vehicles do you think are being exported from Thailand to other countries that manufacture automobiles? I think import duties are for the type of vehicles being exported are not that high. 

Al lot of people confuse excise taxes with import duties. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sitti said:

Because not every part of my car is made in Thailand. Engine and transmission are imported from Germany. And many other electronic components are imported from various part of the world.

But the duty on auto parts is very low, or even free if the company is BOI registered. What engine model do you have? Might be made in Germany, might not. 

The cost of your domestically produced S-Class is due to high excise taxes and high margins.

57 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Sadly I agree a number of things I do agree with Trump is the trade imbalance. Ford do have plants in Thailand but the Mustang isn't made here thus the cost just like Lexus models also up the roof. Take this to the super market and it is even worse.  I was at Tops yesterday love to eat chips but living here I have cut back for a number of reason chips and ice cream so a small bag of Kettle Chips salt and pepper sign said sale this mini bag would cost in the U.S. like a quarter of a buck but I treated myself after check out it was 59 baht once opened there were like 5 chips inside boy although little I did enjoy them I was thinking what oil do they use what a difference?????

Bag of chips for a quarter in the US? Dude's been away for a while.....

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

But the duty on auto parts is very low, or even free if the company is BOI registered. What engine model do you have? Might be made in Germany, might not. 

The cost of your domestically produced S-Class is due to high excise taxes and high margins.

Mine is S350d, diesel engine. Not sure about other classes, but engines and transmissions for S-class are coming from Germany. MB dealer explained this when I bought it. Engine size is the biggest factor for determining duty. And bunch of other components are coming from abroad. They merely assemble in Thailand for cost and, especially, tax/duty purposes.

And yes, high margins. They can charge this price because they can, and upper class in Thailand or other Asian nations still pay for it.

Edited by sitti
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sitti said:

Mine is S350d, diesel engine. Not sure about other classes, but engines and transmissions for S-class are coming from Germany. MB dealer explained this when I bought it. Engine size is the biggest factor for determining duty. And bunch of other components are coming from abroad. They merely assemble in Thailand for cost and, especially, tax/duty purposes.

And yes, high margins. They can charge this price because they can, and upper class in Thailand or other Asian nations still pay for it.

That's a 2.9l inline six, yes? 

It is the excise tax, not import duty that drives up the price. Were it the import duty, pick-ups with large 3l engines would be expensive and they are not. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

That's a 2.9l inline six, yes? 

It is the excise tax, not import duty that drives up the price. Were it the import duty, pick-ups with large 3l engines would be expensive and they are not. 

I doubt it. excise tax on locally made vehicles are not that bad. What drive up the price is duties on foreign components coming into a country. Otherwise it would defeat the purpose of automakers building manufacturing plants in Thailand in the first place. They wouldn't have invested hundreds of millions of Euro building plants here. They would just ship the whole cars instead of in pieces.

Edited by sitti
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Bag of chips for a quarter in the US? Dude's been away for a while.....

Just guessing Feb of this when I was home for short visit,  I got a bag of Kettle Chips for .99 cent it was on sale normally it is 1.99 the bag is maybe 8 to 10 inches long. This bag I'm talking about is at best 3-4 inches the type you might buy at Costco in bunk in a larger bag to put in a lunch box with your kids sandwich.

11 hours ago, sitti said:

I doubt it. excise tax on locally made vehicles are not that bad. What drive up the price is duties on foreign components coming into a country. Otherwise it would defeat the purpose of automakers building manufacturing plants in Thailand in the first place. They wouldn't have invested hundreds of millions of Euro building plants here. They would just ship the whole cars instead of in pieces.

They ship the pieces because the duty is low on parts, including engines. The excise tax on commercial vehicles (including pickups) is low, as is the excise tax on sedans and motorcycles with small engines. The excise tax is high for cars and motorcycles with larger engines, 

Believe what you like, but (again) if the duty was high on 3l diesel engines, you would not be able to buy a pick-up with a 3l diesel engine for B600K.

Also, if your importing parts that are going into a vehicle that will be exported, you can often get an exclusion on duties on imported parts.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Just guessing Feb of this when I was home for short visit,  I got a bag of Kettle Chips for .99 cent it was on sale normally it is 1.99 the bag is maybe 8 to 10 inches long. This bag I'm talking about is at best 3-4 inches the type you might buy at Costco in bunk in a larger bag to put in a lunch box with your kids sandwich.

So you were making up the bit about getting a bag of chips for a quarter, yes? 

I was just stuck in the US (CA, FL, TX, GA) from the end of February to mid August. 

Yes, you can get good prices on big variety packs of lunch size bags.

5 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

I have my Ranger now 1 year and no problem at all.

I've had a number of Fords and they were all great. 

Looked hard at the four door Ranger when it came out, it was a great buy, but I was buying a company car and there were no Ford dealers close to the plant.