1,004 contacts of infected DJ traced in push to prevent local outbreak

snoop1130

1,004 contacts of infected DJ traced in push to prevent local outbreak

By The Nation

800_40381210d82548b.jpg

Health authorities have tracked down 1,004 people who had contact with a DJ who tested positive for Covid-19 last week, becoming Thailand’s first domestic case in 100 days.

So far, 507 of the contacts have been quarantined and tested negative for Covid-19, the Department of Disease Control (DDC) announced on Wednesday.

The DJ, 37, tested positive on September 3 after serving a week at Bangkok’s Central Correctional Institute on a drugs charge.

Before that, he worked at several nightspots in Bangkok and lived at a condominium in Thung Kru district in the southwest of the city.

A Department of Disease Control Investigation Team led the operation to trace contacts of the infected man at 12 different locations around the city. All are being tested for the disease via the RT-PCR method.

The contacts, grouped according to their location, are as follows:

1. Six family members of the DJ (his wife, two children, sister-in-law, father-in-law, and mother-in-law) who are at high risk. All tested negative and have completed their quarantine.

2. 143 residents of Baan Suan Thon condominium where the DJ lived. All tested negative.

3. 492 people at the Criminal Court. Of 14 high-risk contacts, 11 tested negative, results for two are pending, and one is still being sought. Of 478 at low risk, 146 tested negative and two are awaiting results.

4. 6 low-risk contacts at the Correctional Institute hospital group, all in quarantine which ends on September 18.

5. 121 contacts at the Correctional Institution, divided into 85 prison officers (24 high-risk and 61 low-risk) and 36 inmates (one high-risk and 35 low-risk). The high-risk was released on bail before being traced and booked for test on September 16.

6. 8 inmates who shared a cell with the DJ at Bangkok Special Prison. All tested negative and have completed quarantine.

7. 38 contacts at Sam Wan Song Kuen pub on Rama III. Of five at high-risk and 33 at low-risk, 29 have so far tested negative and completed quarantine.

8. 60 contacts at Sam Wan Song Kuen pub on Rama V branch. Of 25 at high-risk and 35 at low-risk, all tested negative and completed quarantine.

9. 15 contacts at First Cafe on Khao San Road. Two at high-risk and 13 at low-risk tested negative and completed quarantine.

10. 112 low-risk contacts on Khao San Road, all tested negative.

11. 3 low-risk contacts from Sarasas Witaed Suksa school in Samut Prakan – a teacher and two school-gate screeners. All completed quarantine and tested negative.

In addition, the Big C store in Suksawat was cleared as an infection risk after security video showed no sign the DJ’s car was parked there during the possible infection period.

Of the 1,004 contacts, 570 have tested negative while the others are in home quarantine awaiting results of tests, the DDC said. The department urged people to continue wearing masks, maintain social distancing, and to avoid sharing their personal belongings.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394317

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-10

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

14 days fly by when you're having fun, eh?

I noticed that, too. You can say anything you want when nobody can challenge you on it. Also, since you pointed it out first, prepare to get flamed by all the uber-pro Thailand crowd.

Edited by JCP108
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

again, you can be "positive" by the test but not sick at all (or infectious?)

positive swab test -> possibly not sick but probably infectious

negative swab test -> not sick and not infectious, but maybe already infected

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

again, you can be "positive" by the test but not sick at all (or infectious?)

You can be positive but completely asymptomatic. Many people are. May or may nto develop symptoms later, some people never do. This does not mean you are not infectious; you have the virus and you can infect others.

Chance of a false positive is very low, and of 2 false positives (they always do a second test if first is possible) only about one in a thousand

13 minutes ago, tgw said:

positive swab test -> possibly not sick but probably infectious

negative swab test -> not sick and not infectious, but maybe already infected

Not correct.

A negative swab can be a false negative or a genuine negative. If a false negative then the person is indeed infectious. False negatives are not uncommon especially (but not only) early in the illness, hence repeat testing on subsequent days.

It is perfectly possible to be ill (symptomatic) from COVID yet get a false negative test result.

With any test there is a trade off between sensitivity and specificity. COVID PCR has high specificty but lower sensitivity, meaning false positives are rare but false negatives pretty common.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Not correct.

A negative swab can be a false negative or a genuine negative. If a false negative then the person is indeed infectious. False negatives are not uncommon especially (but not only) early in the illness, hence repeat testing on subsequent days.

It is perfectly possible to be ill (symptomatic) from COVID yet get a false negative test result.

With any test there is a trade off between sensitivity and specificity. COVID PCR has high specificty but lower sensitivity, meaning false positives are rare but false negatives pretty common.

yes correct ... I was thinking about confirmed status.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Public Health Ministry is holding a press briefing at 5pm today regards a Thai league footballer with Covid 19. 

This has just been announced.

Ban alcohol. And ban football. And ban banning. Ban banabanabababnaban.

test/ trace/ isolate is your only path to keep this in check till the vaccine arrives. Many countries who profess to be smarter, more innovative and better educated have failed miserably at keeping it in check by these methods. They have seemed to throw all their resources at the vaccine when I believe that a quick accurate test (and cheap) should have been just as high on the priority list. The TTI steps are costly, time consuming and rely on the public spirit of cooperation for the sake of others health. It's obvious why it all failed in western nations.. 

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

The TTI steps are costly, time consuming and rely on the public spirit of cooperation for the sake of others health. It's obvious why it all failed in western nations.. 

Plenty of western countries have gotten their TETRIS together now, granted it took some longer than it should have. Also we're seeing more widespread testing of general population and have found out the number of asymptomatic infections is higher than originally thought. No such data available from Thailand.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Plenty of western countries have gotten their TETRIS together now, granted it took some longer than it should have. Also we're seeing more widespread testing of general population and have found out the number of asymptomatic infections is higher than originally thought. No such data available from Thailand.

tracers in western nations have met obstacle after obstacle in contacting people (wrong numbers given, won't answer cells, refuse to provide information and on and on) and having them cooperate with voluntary isolation. It requires public cooperation in the interest of your fellow man for all this to really work and sadly it's just not there. I was listening to medical educators online in Feb/March stating that the true numbers of infection rates were 10 times higher than the reported numbers at the time and they were correct. People in authority purposely obscured that truth imo and I'm not saying this in response to Trumps latest confession (though it is an example of one verification). This is the biggest health care debacle in the history of western medicine, it will forever go down as a black eye in history. Granted the virus arrived unexpectedly (though we've been warned for years!) but even still the response was abysmal when the facts were known. What concerns me is the next one could be even worse...

39 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

tracers in western nations have met obstacle after obstacle in contacting people (wrong numbers given, won't answer cells, refuse to provide information and on and on) and having them cooperate with voluntary isolation. It requires public cooperation in the interest of your fellow man for all this to really work and sadly it's just not there. 

I suppose that depends on the culture of the country. The Nordics seem to be able to co-operate, haven't heard anything like you describe from there. But from f.ex. UK, yes I've seen such reports. Stupid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I suppose that depends on the culture of the country. The Nordics seem to be able to co-operate, haven't heard anything like you describe from there. But from f.ex. UK, yes I've seen such reports. Stupid.

I've seen news reports detailing this from both the US and Canada. There's also a real reluctance to use a public health app to aid in fact finding. Claiming privacy imo is a cop out, showing lack of care for fellow humans for these online disease trackers are very effective compared with the lack of cooperation with the other methods of contact. What's funny is that in some countries, with the plethora of cctv in use, privacy is already long gone so to use this as an excuse not to use an app to possibly save lives just doesn't fly with me..

13 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I've seen news reports detailing this from both the US and Canada. There's also a real reluctance to use a public health app to aid in fact finding. Claiming privacy imo is a cop out, showing lack of care for fellow humans for these online disease trackers are very effective compared with the lack of cooperation with the other methods of contact. What's funny is that in some countries, with the plethora of cctv in use, privacy is already long gone so to use this as an excuse not to use an app to possibly save lives just doesn't fly with me..

I also have reservations when it's a government app, especially if it's from an authoritarian government like Thailand's. Google and Apple have released the bluetooth tracker in their operating systems and claim it does not identify the individual. I'm more inclined to believe them than any government, as they can be easily sued and suffer penalties. I haven't seen Thailand submitting their template to Google yet, there was a thread not long ago here on TVF about it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

I also have reservations when it's a government app, especially if it's from an authoritarian government like Thailand's. Google and Apple have released the bluetooth tracker in their operating systems and claim it does not identify the individual. I'm more inclined to believe them than any government, as they can be easily sued and suffer penalties. I haven't seen Thailand submitting their template to Google yet, there was a thread not long ago here on TVF about it.

and yet it is being completely under utilized in western nations despite as you say they are liable so you should be protected. Sadly imo it's mainly a lack of empathy for others. Take the mask issue. They are now saying the mask can protect 'you'  vs the initial information is that wearing one can prevent you from infecting others (actually does both). But while the emphasis was that it can prevent disease in others, refusal to wear masks was at its peak. That indicates to me that many folks basically are out for themselves in western cultures and unfortunately this disease may haunt them for years to come due to lack of social cohesion.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

and yet it is being completely under utilized in western nations despite as you say they are liable so you should be protected. Sadly imo it's mainly a lack of empathy for others. Take the mask issue. They are now saying the mask can protect 'you'  vs the initial information is that wearing one can prevent you from infecting others (actually does both). But while the emphasis was that it can prevent disease in others, refusal to wear masks was at its peak. That indicates to me that many folks basically are out for themselves in western cultures and unfortunately this disease may haunt them for years to come due to lack of social cohesion.

Well, it's true Asian cultures are more crowd oriented and west more individualistic. But they did survive the Black Death in the west, so I'm not sure a dystopian level of surveillance is absolutely necessary. There's a cultural divide concerning privacy and individual freedoms. I'm with the westies as I absolutely loathe any form of authoritarianism and privacy breaches are how the dictators start to seep in. Everybody needs to decide on their own balance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Well, it's true Asian cultures are more crowd oriented and west more individualistic. But they did survive the Black Death in the west, so I'm not sure a dystopian level of surveillance is absolutely necessary. There's a cultural divide concerning privacy and individual freedoms. I'm with the westies as I absolutely loathe any form of authoritarianism and privacy breaches are how the dictators start to seep in. Everybody needs to decide on their own balance.

There's also the deep state narrative in the U.S. which makes people not want to trust such a thing.

I’m confused. If he tested positive 8 days ago, how are his family and so many people finished the quarantine already? 

Maybe if their contact with him was 1 week before he tested positive, then they only need to promise to stay in their home(Lol) for two weeks from their last contact with him

From my understanding of current rules of people entering thailand, if you test negative on arrival, you must test again after two weeks of quarantine. Are they going to give a second virus test to all of his past contacts after 2 weeks?

The virus check less than two weeks after contact would be checking for the source of the virus, and not whether anybody caught it from him.

I need to do the Paris check on everyone again after two weeks

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Awfully suspicious to that for the last 2 - 3 weeks the COVID19 QR scanner app and website have been broken. It now is suddenly working again when the start reporting local transmissions/cases. 

I'm surprised somebody noticed if it wasn't working. Last weekend I saw a Thai sort of languishly lifting up a phone (locked with screensaver on) and point it in the general direction of what was probably the QR code banner. I had real trouble keeping a straight face. Others didn't even bother.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:56 PM, JCP108 said:

I noticed that, too. You can say anything you want when nobody can challenge you on it. Also, since you pointed it out first, prepare to get flamed by all the uber-pro Thailand crowd.

It is probably calculated from their last contact with the dj, rather from the testing date.