Can foreigners carry big knife like Thai?

chopper23

On 9/11/2020 at 12:31 AM, Maestro said:

No, but under current rules for security checks prior to flight boarding my Swiss Army knife would be confiscated.

lost more than a few swiss army knives in my carry on>

I miss the days we could take them always with us

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/10/2020 at 9:36 PM, Daffy D said:

Wasn't there a guy who got done for carrying a Swiss Army knife?

It was his wife who got done. She was with him and IIRC told the police she had the knife for protection. (They were stopped at a normal traffic check and the officer spotted the knife). The photos in the press weren't clear. It could have been the largest SAK (latest Soldier model or similar) or one of those automatics you could buy at various markets. In any case, she gave an unacceptable reason. Fine and knife confiscated.

I believe the law forbids knives in public places unless you have a reason. The farang yacht guy who fatally stabbed an attacking bouncer with his pocket knife was cleared on self defense basis. He said the knife was needed to cut ropes on the boat etc and was in his pocket.

It seems it depends on the knife, the circumstances and how it's being used at the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

In general i feel its the less educated that need arms. But of course I am not an American so I can't comment on that culture. But in my culture its not the higher educated with weapons. Never saw my dad or any of the people that were not blue collar carry weapons. 

Having said that my brother who is an electrician did know some friends who did carry weapons and I also knew plumbers and people like that who had weapons (be it a crowbar or something like that) in their car. 

Also on my brothers school when he was young (tradesmen) weapons and stabbings were more common then where I had my education. 

I think its partly a macho thing or something. Also it could be that those who are poorer live in worse area's so they feel they need protection. 

But for those of us who live in Thailand we don't need to live in poor dangerous area's.

I have NEVER ever carried a weapon.

If you go back a relatively short few decades, the carrying of bladed weapons for self defense was very common throughout Europe and most other continents.

Serious martial arts students still practice with HEMA (Historic European Martial Arts), and various Asian martial arts that include bladed weapons.  There are plenty of videos on Youtube and the IT has made some very interesting German, Spanish and Italian medieval books on the subject easily available. (Don't believe the Hollywood rubbish to be representative).

Walking sticks started to replace the carrying of swords and long knives. Although some were sword sticks of course. This too is less common now, unless for medical purposes.

There are a number of martial arts schools in Thailand that include weapons training. 

Having said all of that, I don't know many serious martial artist who walk around with a sword, Kris, dagger or fighting knife! 

Unfortunately, the bar stool brigade do seem to have a propensity for claiming to be ex SAS, Foreign legion, Seals or whatever. But I doubt you or I would regularly socialize with them; and I doubt they actually carry a bladed weapon. More chance of cutting themselves!

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/11/2020 at 8:41 AM, robblok said:

You describe exactly what the problem is with carrying weapons. It makes people brave and take stupid risks.

I think, from his post, it was a better example of the problem with alcohol. Drunks tend to think they've acquired super powers! And knowing he'd got a weapon too, probably thought he was Bruce Lee!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

If you go back a relatively short few decades, the carrying of bladed weapons for self defense was very common throughout Europe and most other continents.

Serious martial arts students still practice with HEMA (Historic European Martial Arts), and various Asian martial arts that include bladed weapons.  There are plenty of videos on Youtube and the IT has made some very interesting German, Spanish and Italian medieval books on the subject easily available. (Don't believe the Hollywood rubbish to be representative).

Walking sticks started to replace the carrying of swords and long knives. Although some were sword sticks of course. This too is less common now, unless for medical purposes.

There are a number of martial arts schools in Thailand that include weapons training. 

Having said all of that, I don't know any serious martial artist who walks around with a sword, Kris, dagger or fighting knife! 

Unfortunately, the bar stool brigade do seem to have a propensity for claiming to be ex SAS, Foreign legion, Seals or whatever. But I doubt you or I would regularly socialize with them; and I doubt they actually carry a bladed weapon. More chance of cutting themselves!

I prefer to run over fighting, but I am not a trained martial artist. To put someone down you might have to inflict serious damage and that might come back to hound you. I have no ego problems from running away.

• Like 2

Just now, Baerboxer said:

I think, from his post, it was a better example of the problem with alcohol. Drunks tend to think they've acquired super powers! And knowing he'd got a weapon too, probably thought he was Bruce Lee!

Maybe a combination of the two but of course it could just be the alcohol. Thankfully when I get drunk i get more talkative first and then fall asleep. Never got violent from it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

https://www.kentaurguns.com/gas-guns-weapons/

How about gas guns?? 

There are huge selections on mega plaza yaowarat area priced at 1500~6000 baht. 

One shop's owner hides his small pistol behind the belt buckle. (not his Co ck) 

Some of Thsse gas pistols pump at 300 feet per second, and with metal pellets instead of plastic, can rip the skin to the bone.... 

Without firearm license 

I think you'll find the same or very similar rules apply to gas guns as firearms. 

Have one in public and hey farang, deportation awaits.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2020 at 10:39 PM, Kwasaki said:

Nah its been many countries where I have worked in my day.

I do have a small farm in Thailand and use it for gutting fish but throw it at trees from 10 metres mainly.

This knife is going on 50 years old.

I brought into Thailand in my main baggage when I came and retired here in 2005. 

The knife is really my friend ever since working in Qatar when faced by some PLO geezers, we were not allowed to carry guns.

Are the trees hostile?

• Haha 1

What possible need is there for a person to carry such a thing as this , unless going to work on a Farm, or going to the Jungle to cut Bamboo.

If you carry such a menacing weapon, you can expect either your collar felt by Plod, or a smaller Knife in your Kidneys from a Thai.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

lost more than a few swiss army knives in my carry on>

I miss the days we could take them always with us

It has to be kept in main luggage and a good reason for having it with you if that see on X-ray and ask questions. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

It seems it depends on the knife, the circumstances and how it's being used at the time.

That is the problem here. All rules and laws it seems are open to interpretation of each individual officer.

Not long ago it was customary for most men to carry a pocket knife, boy scouts a knife, why would anyone have to explain carrying a small pocket knife.

Get an officer on a bad day you could be in trouble.  It could be argued that a boat guy needing a knife for ropes should have left the knife on the boat not walk around with it.  

There is no logic with Thai laws, just look at recent cases. Best be safe and leave at home anything that could in any way considered a weapon.  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, chopper23 said:

I have seen Thai with big knife they carry for protection can Farang carry also?

Neither Thais nor foreigners can carry a "big knife" legally, depending, of course, what a "big knife" is.

Edited by Hi Tea
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Make you are not in a deep sleep if someone comes into the room. ????????

With my dog, a pure race Thai bangkeo hardly possible to come into the house, I should say approach the house without the dog waking me up first.

Of all the dogs that I have it is the best guardian, it does not bark at any other dog passing by, only at humans, it never barks like crazy but very controlled dull woof woof more he is incredibly obedient, this is a gift from my daughter-in-law she paid 20,000 Baht

• Like 2