U.S. judges reject Trump plan to exclude many immigrants from representation

webfact

1 hour ago, Paul Catton said:

How could any "illegal immigrant" have inclusion for representation? Surely they would be making themselves almost non-existent, flying under the radar to avoid detention and deportation.

Yes, they're all hiding in the shadows....

On 9/11/2020 at 7:15 AM, Mama Noodle said:

Awesome, so states can continue to keep their illegal sanctuary city status, count their illegal immigrant population on the census, and inflate their states representation in Congress while inching up their electoral college points with those same non-Americans. 

Awesome. 

Last time I checked members of the House of Representatives could be from any party or no party. They just have to be elected. Still only two Senators per state regardless of population. 

On 9/11/2020 at 1:02 PM, JusticeGB said:

Why should illegal aliens have the right to vote. I lost my right to vote in the UK because I have been absent for 15 years but I still pay taxes on my UK derived income. I can't vote in Thailand even though I have lived here legally for over 20 years!

You're really not paying attention are you. Nobody said they can vote. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2020 at 3:01 PM, Scot123 said:

Unbelievable, twisted grasp on reality. Trump built up The USA economy to all new highs, surpassing the new norms Obama and the Dems crowed about, employment figures of all time highs, bringing back manufacturing and jobs for blacks and minorities to all time highs, all of which Obama and the Dems said was impossible and ridiculed Trump for promising to do it. Then Chinese C-19 hits the country/The World and even though he is breaking again all predictions Dems warped mindset blames him. Anyway this Judge should be fired immediately for breaking the law. Illegal = criminal and he thinks that is ok for them to vote!!! Madness! Try doing it in Thailand, start protesting in the streets demanding to vote and see what happens. 

The Judge ruled on  a point involving  a  raw  "Head Count" of  people  residing . There is no question of those who are otherwise undocumented being able to  vote.

3 minutes ago, forehandplus said:

What technicalities? Illegal immigrants don't have the right to vote in Federal or State elections.

the title of this article mentions "representation". in a political context in a democracy this means people-elected representatives.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, tgw said:

the title of this article mentions "representation". in a political context in a democracy this means people-elected representatives.

It means nothing of the sort. A census is a snapshot of people in the country. 

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tgw said:

In the context of the census it means being counted re the apportioning of Congressional districts. Read the opening paragraph carefully.

• Like 1

Some history since it appears some people question the constitutionality of not counting illegal immigrants. I don't know where they're getting this from but it's clearly not true.

This is John Jay ("Founding Father") from 1788:

With equal pleasure I have as often taken notice, that Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country, to one united people; a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs, and who, by their joint counsels, arms and efforts, fighting side by side throughout a long and bloody war, have nobly established their general Liberty and Independence.

Snippet from The Naturalization Act of 1790:

The law limited naturalization to "free white person ... of good character", thus excluding Native Americans, indentured servants, slaves, free blacks and later Asians, although free blacks were allowed citizenship at the state level in a number of states.

The point being is that the original Americans absolutely had an idea of who an American is and they would have denied citizenship to 99% of these illegal aliens who are in the country now (non-whites from South America primarily).

It's even a bigger joke to think they would allow them to be counted on a census for the purpose of congressional seats. Sure count them, that's always helpful information but anything else is clearly not in the spirit of the people who actually wrote the constitution.

Edited by genericptr
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, forehandplus said:

"Census data included the name of the head of the family and categorized inhabitants as follows: free white males at least 16 years of age (to assess the country's industrial and military potential), free white males under 16 years of age, free white females, all other free persons (reported by sex and color), and enslaved people.[6]"

They were counted to merely understand who inhabited the lands. What's happening in 2020 has actual consequences to government and would have never been tolerated.

Just to be clear everyone wants the illegal alien population counted, they just don't want this to shift the balance of politics (which these states with sanctuary polices are very eager to do).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, genericptr said:

They were counted to merely understand who inhabited the lands. What's happening in 2020 has actual consequences to government and would have never been tolerated.

Just to be clear everyone wants the illegal alien population counted, they just don't want this to shift the balance of politics (which these states with sanctuary polices are very eager to do).

Have you actually read the relevant clause in the constitution? 

"Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons."

This aligns exactly with the questions asked in the first census.

• Like 1