Foreign tourists back in Pattaya? Delegation from ATTA meets the mayor

rooster59

Foreign tourists back in Pattaya? Delegation from ATTA meets the mayor

IMG_8262.jpg

Image: INN News

INN reported that a delegation from the Association of Thai Travel Agents met with Pattaya's mayor to work on ways to open the resort again to foreign tourism. 

But despite the headline in the report, there was little of substance to come out of the meeting between Wichit Prakopkoson and Sontaya Klumpluem.

They got around a table with deputy mayor Ronnakit Ekasingh at City Hall but INN did not report any outcomes except to say that safety, the economy and what appeared to be a "bubble" plan were discussed.

ATTA noted that Thailand could join with other countries that have the virus under control.

This appears to have been merely an exploratory meeting, notes Thaivisa. Thailand is currently putting most of its resources into trying to get the "Phuket Model" off the ground and even that is stuttering.

Source: INN News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-12

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They got around a table with deputy mayor Ronnakit Ekasingh at City Hall but INN did not report any outcomes except to say that safety, the economy and what appeared to be a "bubble" plan were discussed.

Senseless, I bet the lunch proved well worth the effort.

Thailand cannot make up it's mind on whether they want foreign tourists or not. 

Yesterday Koh Phi Phi locals voiced their opposition to having tourists,  Phuket wants them but know they won't come,  other places have said similar.

They change their minds as often as i change my undies.  

crazy thai people ....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thailand cannot make up it's mind on whether they want foreign tourists or not. 

Yesterday Koh Phi Phi locals voiced their opposition to having tourists,  Phuket wants them but know they won't come,  other places have said similar.

They change their minds as often as i change my undies.  

crazy thai people ....

no, thailand is very clear that it doesn't want tourists. all these initiative, 'models', meetings, visits to resorts, etc., etc.... are purely for domestic consumption. the government want to the people to see, and believe(!), they are actually doing something, while not intending to do anything.

25 minutes ago, samsensam said:

no, thailand is very clear that it doesn't want tourists. all these initiative, 'models', meetings, visits to resorts, etc., etc.... are purely for domestic consumption. the government want to the people to see, and believe(!), they are actually doing something, while not intending to do anything.

Whilst I tend to agree with you, even if the Thai government opened up their boarders tomorrow, nothing much would change.  No planes in the air. forced quarantine upon return, affordability issues etc, etc. 

There are other forces at play, not just the Thai government locking out tourists.     

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No planes in the air. forced quarantine upon return, affordability issues etc, etc. 

There are other forces at play, not just the Thai government locking out tourists.

Good point. 

Quarantine in the UK, however, is an entirely different matter in that it's not enforced quarantine and you can do pretty much what you like if so minded. Daft rules and knee-jerk reactions abound from the the UK government, much like LOS.  

Just walked around in Central Pattaya. At 1:30 in the morning there are still many bars open (should be closed at midnight by emergency decree as far as I know). Sozial distancing and other regulations - forget it. Will foreign tourists that should live here for a while in a controlled environment perhaps enjoy the same freedom?