400k in bank 2 months or 3 months?

Hi, 

I mis read some of the requirements documentation for extending my marriage visa (3rd time); I thought it said 2 months which I have, prior to the extension application.  Now I read some sites that says 3 months prior to application.  Does anybody have any clarity?  Thank you in advance.  If they reject due to only 2 months in advance, what will happen, might they give me a 30 day extension to again resubmit with 3 months deposit on file prior to again applying?  Thank you, 

Gil 

• Like 1

May I be a little cheeky and ask a question related to this topic. I hope to go to Thailand early in 2021 and follow the process for long term residency. My wife (Thai but resident with me in UK) has a bank account with SCB and I want to open an account at the same bank. My plan is to take £12,000 cash Sterling and change it to THB at Superrich which always seems to give a better rate. I will use 40k THB from this exchange to open my account at SCB. However I have seen somewhere that the money must come from a UK bank account in my name. This requirement will be met but how can I prove to SCB that the money came from my UK bank account? I could use the receipt from Superrich to show that the exchange was in Sterling but this doesn't prove that it came from my account. Will this cause problems and should I just bite the bullet and wait until I open the account then transfer the cash through TransferWise and pay the £90+ charge? Thank you in anticipation for your help.

21 minutes ago, nerjaron said:

May I be a little cheeky and ask a question related to this topic. I hope to go to Thailand early in 2021 and follow the process for long term residency. My wife (Thai but resident with me in UK) has a bank account with SCB and I want to open an account at the same bank. My plan is to take £12,000 cash Sterling and change it to THB at Superrich which always seems to give a better rate. I will use 40k THB from this exchange to open my account at SCB.This requirement will be met but how can I prove to SCB that the money came from my UK bank account?

You do not have to prove the 40k baht came from abroad to open a bank account. Most bank only require you 500 baht to open a normal savings account.

No sure what you mean by long term residency. You can apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage. You will need a 90 day non immigrant O visa (aka non-o) entry to apply for it.

To apply for the extension you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank (no need to prove it came from abroad) for 2 months on the day you apply or proof of 40k baht transferred into the bank for at least 2 months to prove your income. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, nerjaron said:

May I be a little cheeky and ask a question related to this topic. I hope to go to Thailand early in 2021 and follow the process for long term residency. My wife (Thai but resident with me in UK) has a bank account with SCB and I want to open an account at the same bank. My plan is to take £12,000 cash Sterling and change it to THB at Superrich which always seems to give a better rate. I will use 40k THB from this exchange to open my account at SCB. However I have seen somewhere that the money must come from a UK bank account in my name. This requirement will be met but how can I prove to SCB that the money came from my UK bank account? I could use the receipt from Superrich to show that the exchange was in Sterling but this doesn't prove that it came from my account. Will this cause problems and should I just bite the bullet and wait until I open the account then transfer the cash through TransferWise and pay the £90+ charge? Thank you in anticipation for your help.

The fee for transfer £12,000 is £70,43 if using TW. You'll lose about ฿3700 compared to SuperRich.

• Like 1

I assume your concern is that the 400k baht must be from abroad for an extension of stay. That is not the case. You only have the problem if you enter Thailand on a tourist entry and want to convert to a Non Immigrant entry (by applying for a conversion Non O visa at Immigration). For the extension, you just need the money to be in the bank for at least two months prior to applying for the one-year extension. Get a Non O visa before coming to Thailand.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That is not the case. You only have the problem if you enter Thailand on a tourist entry and want to convert to a Non Immigrant entry (by applying for a conversion Non O visa at Immigration).

If based upon marriage to a Thai proof the 400k baht came from abroad is not required. That is only needed for one to to get a retirement extension.

• Like 1

I would like to thank most sincerely those contributors who replied so quickly to my question. I now feel reassured that I will be able to convert my money at Superrich and use 400k (not 40k as my original post) to open the account and "season" until I apply for the extension based on (90 day non - o) marriage. Thanks again to all.

Edited by nerjaron

12 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

The law says 2 months for first time, 3 months for following years as Nakhon Sawan Immigration pointed out to me recently. 

They gave me 60 day extension, 1900 baht and said come back in 2 months and pay another 1900 baht.

Wrong information.

2 months every time is the regulation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, Jonnapat said:

The law says 2 months for first time, 3 months for following years as Nakhon Sawan Immigration pointed out to me recently. 

They gave me 60 day extension, 1900 baht and said come back in 2 months and pay another 1900 baht.

In Jomtien, its 2 months.  I just did it, and its now under consideration for 1 month (but once they accept the application, in all likelihood its good).