Kasikorn - No safety deposit boxes for foreigners

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

At several K-Bank branches you can open a savings account when retired, O or O-A. They just want to see the "Retirement" stamp in the passport. It took me about 40 minutes when I opened my last account at K-Bank in Jomtien/Pattaya. About your wifes gold stashed under the underwear, doesn't she have a bank account in a branch somewhere with safety boxes? She's not a foreigner and she can open an account anywhere any day of the week. So what's the actual problem, does the safety box has to be in your name? 

I'm not retired (or on a retired visa) .. I don't live in Pattaya ..

The point is, foreigners cant rent a safety deposit box at Kasikorn bank any longer - They used to before, in fact they suggested it. Kasikorn are forever building obstructions and creating rules which seem to be targeted at westerners. Apart from their ridiculous charges, I like using them, have held an account for 15+ years.

Yes, my wife could rent a box an I use it - my wife can also register my motor vehicles or deal with local government, but I prefer to stand on my own two feet and not rely upon her in my day-to-day business.

These rule doesn't stop anything, its just another petty rule, created by ignorance. If my wife opened the box, she could still return to the UK with me and still be uncontactable, what is the difference?

I was told it was impossible to get a deposit box from Kasikorn.. 

A month or two later I happened to have 5 mil or so in the account.. All of a sudden it was possible, calls were made, and a box was made available in one of the old main central branches in town. 

Standard Thai treatment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Get off your backside, go to see the manager of the bank where you have an account & get a safety deposit box (Standard answer over the phone ,,,you got

Exactly - This my intention all the way along - no need to be rude, it wasn't standard policy as of last November.

I called the helpline to establish which branches held safety deposit boxes, she wouldn't even tell me who to approach until I started ripping into her.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Yes, my wife could rent a box an I use it

Be careful putting the safety box in your wife's name as you may not be able to go into the vault to access your safety box. At the very least she would have to be with you on each and every time you visited your safety box.
I have never asked my bank to take someone so I'm not sure of the banks policy regarding visitor visits 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

I was told it was impossible to get a deposit box from Kasikorn.. 

A month or two later I happened to have 5 mil or so in the account.. All of a sudden it was possible, calls were made, and a box was made available in one of the old main central branches in town. 

Standard Thai treatment. 

I hope the day after you secured the deposit box from Kasikorn you transferred all your money out, but kept the deposit box.  

Standard way to deal with Thai treatment.  ????

Edited by Leaver