COVID 'firepower': Britain imposes six-month curbs against second wave

snoop1130

COVID 'firepower': Britain imposes six-month curbs against second wave

By Guy Faulconbridge, Kate Holton 3 MIN READ

bht.PNG

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson told people on Tuesday to work from home where possible and ordered bars and restaurants to close early to tackle a fast-spreading second wave of COVID-19 with restrictions lasting probably six months.

After government scientists cautioned that deaths may soar without urgent action, Johnson stopped short of another full lockdown as he did in March but said further action could be taken if the disease was not suppressed.

“We reserve the right to deploy greater firepower, with significantly greater restrictions,” Johnson told parliament following emergency meetings with ministers and leaders of the United Kingdom’s devolved governments.

“We will only be able to avoid it if our new measures work and our behaviour changes.”

He said Britain had reached a similarly perilous point as countries like Spain and France.

“We will spare no effort in developing vaccines, treatments and new forms of mass testing but unless we palpably make progress, we should assume that the restrictions I have announced will remain in place for perhaps six months.”

Just weeks after urging people to start returning to workplaces, Johnson advised office workers to stay at home if they could. He ordered all pubs, bars, restaurants and other hospitality sites to close at 10 p.m. from Thursday with only table service allowed.

“I am sorry this will hurt many businesses just getting back on their feet,” he said.

SCHOOLS AND UNIVERSITIES TO STAY OPEN

Face masks will be required in more settings, businesses who break rules will be fined, and there will be tougher enforcement against people who do not comply, he said, while the military could be brought in to help free up the police.

However, schools and universities will stay open.

Johnson was to address the nation at 1900 GMT.

The extra measures come after government advisers said new cases could reach 50,000 per day by mid-October.

The United Kingdom already has the biggest official COVID-19 death toll in Europe - 41,788 - while it is borrowing record amounts to pump emergency money through the damaged economy.

Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey warned that the “very unfortunate” escalation of COVID-19 cases threatened the economic outlook and said the central bank was looking hard at how it could support the economy further.

Pub operator JD Wetherspoon said it could cut 400-450 jobs at sites at six airports, including London’s Heathrow and Gatwick, because of the large drop in passengers.

Opposition leader Keir Starmer urged the government not to end a furlough scheme at the end of October, accusing it of losing control of the coronavirus crisis.

“We will not listen to those who say let the virus rip, nor to those who urge a permanent lockdown,” Johnson said.

“We are taking decisive and appropriate steps to balance saving lives and protecting jobs and livelihoods.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-22

• Haha 1

Having been stuck here forever the UK government has at least tried to mitigate the total collapse of the world with most people getting at least some help they haven't got it all right for sure but who has? certainly not a general with no economy left and the people left on their own????  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just a little tightening up, a reminder to people not to become complacent.

There was always going to be concerns as the weather turns colder, the days shorter, so a little preventative maintenance for good measure, seeking to do enough, that should a second wave roll in, measures were in fact put in place to effect some control

Otherwise little change, hardly a draconian 'lockdown ' repeat, UK gradually returning to normality

Edited by 473geo
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

I know of 2 people who died and 1 who is still recovering a shade of his former self. If there was no virus do you really think all countries would have lockdowns damaging their economies.

Im always a bit skeptical when I read people know so many that have died. Statistically, its almost an anomaly to know so many severe covid cases. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Being anti-lockdown and anti-shutdown is not anti-covid. 

Whats insane is how eager some people are to give up their rights, civil liberties, businesses, and economy over a virus that isnt the zombie virus. 

You were not paying attention to how bad it got in Italy, without a lockdown hospitals would have overflown. The problem is the limited hospital capacity. They had to slow it down still do. 

What worries me is that there are so many like you that are so willing to sacrifice others. I wish those people would all join covid parties. I mean its just a virus. If all guys who think its just a virus and not bad come together and infect each other (there is no risk anyway according to you) then things would certainly look a lot brighter. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/12/us/30-year-old-covid-party-death.html

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nemo38 said:

Deaths are in line with a normal flu season. It is sad people die. But we didn't destroy people's jobs for the sake of the flu before.

Oh really? Some useful stats here..............

"By way of a more apt comparison, Covid-19 has already killed around four times as many people as a bad flu season in the US.

In the last decade, 2017-18 was the worst flu season with 61,000 deaths, followed by 2014-15 with 51,000 deaths".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Sounds like gossip, honestly. I went this whole time not knowing anyone who caught the virus, then a few weeks ago trying to get back to work offshore, found out that several of my co-workers caught the virus onboard ships in Brazil. Everyone recovered fine, I talk to them all the time, and they said the worst of it was the fear of having it. Some didn't even know they had it, and others felt most of it in fevers/chills/cough. Not saying it isnt bad, but it certainly isnt a death sentence and most people fully recover without even needing hospital treatment. 

How is it gossip when its confirmed. These were people my parents spoke with on a regular base and knew they died of covid no gossip. Not sure why you try to act like its not true that people die of covid and that some people know more people then others.

The guy i know best was really sporty and now can hardly walk for a longer distance. Father of someone i knew (and friends with my father). No lies nothing. Just the truth deniers dont want to hear it.

5 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Why is it that when I say what I say, you guys immediately jump off the deep end with extremes? 

I paid attention to Italy, and I paid attention to NY, and there's nothing wrong with shutting down if you're literally going to overflow hospitals (which didn't happen in either case) 

But shutting down (even partially) for 6 MONTHS over minuscule cases is madness. That does not mean I dont think covid exists or that I would elect to go to a covid party, but I would certainly like to have the choice of free movement and liberty combined with protecting myself. 

You want free movement but that is how it spread your liberty endangers others. 

• Like 1

People do things every single day that could kill them.

For example:

• Driving (risk: crash)
  • Walking across the street (risk: hit by car)
  • Going down the stairs (risk: falling down and hitting your head)
  • Eating solid food (risk: choking to death)
  • Swimming (risk: drowning, shark attack)

All of those risks could be mitigated.

People could refuse to drive or ride in cars, they could refuse to go into buildings with more than one floor, they could only eat soft food, they could never go swimming.

In fact, they could just stay in their house all the time. That is an option for anyone who wants to avoid many risks of dying. Though it is possible that through no fault of their own, they could die in their home, such as if their home is burned in a gas or electrical fire or hit by an airplane.

There is no total way to avoid every risk to your health, and people have a right to choose what decisions they make in the way they live their lives.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Mate the covid deaths are actually much higher they have compared average death rates with the death rates now and it shows we have even underestimated covid deaths.

This is far more deadly than the flu and if you get it you have lasting health damage often. That is not something the flu does.

All of the alleged complications of Covid=19 are also possible complications for the flu. We didn't hear about these rare complications in relation to the flu because they weren't a big risk, for example male infertility due to temporarily increased temperature from the flu.

The average age of people dying from Covid-19 is 80+. But they are giving people the impression that younger, healthy, people should be afraid of this.

If this was about saving lives, they would have given old, frail, sick people the OPTION of being isolated. Old people have the right to take the risk and enjoy freedom in their last year. The fact that they (governments) didn't tells you everything you need to know.

Deaths are lower than ever, while cases (testing) is higher than ever

coronavirus-cases-1-618x1311.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Think most people will only start seeing the craziness in all this when their football club folds due to no money for 18 months. Can easily see 25% of all football clubs going broke in the coming year

As if people care about soccer. Would be great if a lot of clubs go bust maybe the players will have to pay for less and not those crazy superstar salaries. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, nemo38 said:

People do things every single day that could kill them.

For example:

• Driving (risk: crash)
  • Walking across the street (risk: hit by car)
  • Going down the stairs (risk: falling down and hitting your head)
  • Eating solid food (risk: choking to death)
  • Swimming (risk: drowning, shark attack)

All of those risks could be mitigated.

People could refuse to drive or ride in cars, they could refuse to go into buildings with more than one floor, they could only eat soft food, they could never go swimming.

In fact, they could just stay in their house all the time. That is an option for anyone who wants to avoid many risks of dying. Though it is possible that through no fault of their own, they could die in their home, such as if their home is burned in a gas or electrical fire or hit by an airplane.

There is no total way to avoid every risk to your health, and people have a right to choose what decisions they make in the way they live their lives.

All of the alleged complications of Covid=19 are also possible complications for the flu. We didn't hear about these rare complications in relation to the flu because they weren't a big risk, for example male infertility due to temporarily increased temperature from the flu.

The average age of people dying from Covid-19 is 80+. But they are giving people the impression that younger, healthy, people should be afraid of this.

If this was about saving lives, they would have given old, frail, sick people the OPTION of being isolated. Old people have the right to take the risk and enjoy freedom in their last year. The fact that they (governments) didn't tells you everything you need to know.

Deaths are lower than ever, while cases (testing) is higher than ever

coronavirus-cases-1-618x1311.jpg

Again your putting your head in the sand comming up with non issues like a true denier.

I showed you that average death rates show much higher numbers. In those numbers are already your flue complications. If you can't understand that then I will stop talking because you just arent bright enough.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Again your putting your head in the sand comming up with non issues like a true denier.

I showed you that average death rates show much higher numbers. In those numbers are already your flue complications. If you can't understand that then I will stop talking because you just arent bright enough.

Very few people are dying. Those are old people who will die soon anyway, which is sad. But death is part of life. Where are the young, healthy, people who are actually being killed by Covid?

100 year old people are also surviving Covid-19.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/09/20/102-year-old-new-hampshire-woman-survives-covid-spanish-flu/5838433002/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nemo38 said:

Very few people are dying. Those are old people who will die soon anyway, which is sad. But death is part of life. Where are the young, healthy, people who are actually being killed by Covid?

100 year old people are also surviving Covid-19.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/09/20/102-year-old-new-hampshire-woman-survives-covid-spanish-flu/5838433002/

oh your one of those.. lets kill the old of so i can have fun. Ok got it.

5 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

"Your liberty endangers others" is quite the tyrannical statement. You assume so much out of anger and blame, and it makes no sense. 

The virus is not bad enough to ruin peoples livelihoods and futures, and remove rights from people. Thats my position. 

This is not denying covid, or its severity. 

Obviously the majority of people thinks otherwise. Most governments think this way. You are the one who is thinking differently.

I find covid bad, thankfully my goverment is supporting people. This of course cannot go on forever. But because of the lockdowns and other stuff its far less then it could have been.

You just have a hard time accepting a different reality. I dislike it too just see it as something we should get through. I hope Thailand keeps the borders locked as its pretty ok here with almost no covid problems. Its much better to do it like this then to open and close all the time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Oh really? Some useful stats here..............

"By way of a more apt comparison, Covid-19 has already killed around four times as many people as a bad flu season in the US.

In the last decade, 2017-18 was the worst flu season with 61,000 deaths, followed by 2014-15 with 51,000 deaths".

Those numbers are not accurate. A guy who died in motorcycle accident is counted as a Covid death.

https://t.co/aiAMKKy3wo

The New York Times included a guy who was shot to death as a Covid death

https://t.co/fuLJnIrC1x

In the CDC's guidelines, people don't have to be tested for Covid in order to count in the Covid statistics. 

Screen-Shot-2020-05-24-at-2.34.59-PM.png

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

oh your one of those.. lets kill the old of so i can have fun. Ok got it.

Your over emotional, virtue signalling, response does nothing to help people.

Old people have the right to ignore the danger of living life to spend their last years how they like, seeing grandchildren, going into the sun. Let people have the OPTION of isolating. 

My body, my choice.

734369139_Letsstayinsideuntilpeopleneverdieagain.png.5e89ba0e4960d2f8d0c99ce1ab33255d.png

Just now, nemo38 said:

Your over emotional, virtue signalling, response does nothing to help people.

Old people have the right to ignore the danger of living life to spend their last years how they like, seeing grandchildren, going into the sun. Let people have the OPTION of isolating. 

My body, my choice.

734369139_Letsstayinsideuntilpeopleneverdieagain.png.5e89ba0e4960d2f8d0c99ce1ab33255d.png

Id agree with you if you could not spread it and only get it. Now your body can endanger others.

Your logic is severely flawed and your intelligence is lacking. Your funny cartoons don't do much and your arguments are easy to debunk. Too easy that I don't even as it gets tiresome.

• Confused 1