Anyone own a BMW in Thailand? How do you rate it?

bbabythai

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

The Cayenne is such a boring car in my opinion, I'm more an Aventador man, but can't decide between the blue and red.

Decisions, maybe I take one of each.

Just be careful of rogue motorbikes, they may t-bone your car.. ????

• Haha 1

I had a 3-series a while back. Generally enjoyed owning it. Only issue I had was a strange squealing brake noise that the dealer tried to fix several times but it kept coming back. 

Eventually switched to Benz. Between the two I prefer Benz- better image in Thailand and in my opinion better interiors and tech. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Price-wise - if you want a Marque - then BMW and Benz are cheap here because they are assembled locally - way cheaper than an imported Audi/Volvo with similar specs.

First BMW I had here was a 320i - gearbox went in 9 days. BMW replaced the car immediately.

2nd BMW was the replacement 320i - gearbox went in 2 months. I ended up chatting directly with  Cesar Badilla - BMW Thailand aftersales director - who agreed to give me a full refund.

3rd BMW was when I called Cesar and said "Now you've given me a refund, I'm going to give you a chance to keep me in the family. I want to know which cars have a different gearbox to the 320i and I want a big-ass discount on one".

Ended up with a 528i MSport F10 - at a very low price. 

Why do that? Because they actually seemed to care and I like good people. The dealer even said that if BMW corporate would not sort it - then they would themselves (Europa Motor Charan).

We had a few issues with it after that - fuel pump went twice. First time they replaced it (10 year guarantee), second time they realized it was just gunked up with Bangkok grime, cleaned it all out & recommended a different place to buy fuel. Other issues over the 6 years - auto-close on one door gave up, other stuff that put it off the road, can't remember the details but always dreaded that "drivetrain issue" warning. Oddly, we had to replace the interior driver side door handle as it somehow rotted (presumably cleaning chemicals). None of this cost us anything and they did some things free after warranty. It's always been a glorious car to drive.

When we needed a 2nd car (hatchback) - went to BMW and realized - they are all the bloody same inside and out. Owning a 5 and test driving a 116i for a run-around, the 116 it was just a poorer version of the 5. Interior exactly the same, just gutless. Anything below a 2 liter twin turbo on a BMW is a waste of time - might as well have a Nissan Juke. 

At that time, we ventured to Benz & got a GLA250 AMG (motor show discounts are great)  it was different looking and one of the few small "run-around" type cars with a 2 liter turbo engine and so pretty nippy. We could also get the bikes in the back. The next car, we went to BMW and Benz and Benz just outclassed them.

Benz are better, here is the main difference between BMW and Benz

- BMW - you get free service for ages (up to how you negotiate)

- BMW - are more flexible on price

- Benz - no free service

But BMW service isn't free - it's just built into the price of car. If you look at equivalent priced BMW and Benz - the Benz is the better car.  You are paying just for the car and not all that servicing.

So far, my GLA250AMG has had 1 issue - can't even remember what it was. Red light came on, took it in for an hour & it was done. C43 is too new to comment. I would prefer to be paying for more car than for the illusion of free servicing. BMWs are less reliable for me. Benz are doing some performance vehicles at the "43 AMG" level that aren't hit with the taxes that the "63 AMGs" get. So the C43 is a 3rd the price of a C63, yet still puts out 385 horses. Smart play by Benz that. Going to the extremes of the tax bracket.

Both brands come with a LOT of tech. Much of it is new. My C43 has a 3 liter, V6, Twin Turbo engine with a 9-speed automatic gearbox and a bunch of electronic gizmo's like their 4-matic which means it's rear-wheel drive till it detects slip, when it becomes 4 wheel drive. So of course - there's more stuff to go wrong. I just think that Benz do a better job of delivering all that new tech reliably. I feel that BMWs need a bit of "finishing off" in the repair shop.

And all that tech....

Engine3.jpg.a7a1a90eb7c9a1908514c61b79613253.jpg

It's ludicrous - I can barely see any parts and the ones I can see, I have no idea what they are for... Could be a microwave oven there for all I know

So bear in mind - there's a lot of parts in these cars and ain't none of them cheap! 

We have similar taste in cars. Did you get the 4 doors C43?

Did you ever consider the GLC 43?

It dropped a million baht is price when they started to assemble it locally in 2018.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:46 PM, samtab said:

Funny boy !

Jut the engine alone of any Benz or BMW is alone 10x better than any Jap trash.

????????????Buy a 10Years old Benz or BMW.....most are rebuilt with Toyota Engines and Transmissions......Dreamer????????????

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 2:09 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The first one is the E30 (1982-1994), so it could be 35 years old and only the hood is showing a bit of rust.

Do you know the brand and model of the second car?

that's a 74 Toyota Corolla Rust Edition

18 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Price-wise - if you want a Marque - then BMW and Benz are cheap here because they are assembled locally - way cheaper than an imported Audi/Volvo with similar specs.

First BMW I had here was a 320i - gearbox went in 9 days. BMW replaced the car immediately.

2nd BMW was the replacement 320i - gearbox went in 2 months. I ended up chatting directly with  Cesar Badilla - BMW Thailand aftersales director - who agreed to give me a full refund.

3rd BMW was when I called Cesar and said "Now you've given me a refund, I'm going to give you a chance to keep me in the family. I want to know which cars have a different gearbox to the 320i and I want a big-ass discount on one".

Why do that? Because they actually seemed to care and I like good people. The dealer even said that if BMW corporate would not sort it - then they would themselves (Europa Motor Charan).

We had a few issues with it after that - fuel pump went twice. First time they replaced it (10 year guarantee), second time they realized it was just gunked up with Bangkok grime, cleaned it all out & recommended a different place to buy fuel. Other issues over the 6 years - auto-close on one door gave up, other stuff that put it off the road, can't remember the details but always dreaded that "drivetrain issue" warning. Oddly, we had to replace the interior driver side door handle as it somehow rotted (presumably cleaning chemicals). None of this cost us anything and they did some things free after warranty. It's always been a glorious car to drive.

When we needed a 2nd car (hatchback) - went to BMW and realized - they are all the bloody same inside and out. Owning a 5 and test driving a 116i for a run-around, the 116 it was just a poorer version of the 5. Interior exactly the same, just gutless. Anything below a 2 liter twin turbo on a BMW is a waste of time - might as well have a Nissan Juke. 

At that time, we ventured to Benz & got a GLA250 AMG (motor show discounts are great)  it was different looking and one of the few small "run-around" type cars with a 2 liter turbo engine and so pretty nippy. We could also get the bikes in the back. The next car, we went to BMW and Benz and Benz just outclassed them.

- Benz - no free service

But BMW service isn't free - it's just built into the price of car. If you look at equivalent priced BMW and Benz - the Benz is the better car.  You are paying just for the car and not all that servicing.

So far, my GLA250AMG has had 1 issue - can't even remember what it was. Red light came on, took it in for an hour & it was done. C43 is too new to comment. I would prefer to be paying for more car than for the illusion of free servicing. BMWs are less reliable for me. Benz are doing some performance vehicles at the "43 AMG" level that aren't hit with the taxes that the "63 AMGs" get. So the C43 is a 3rd the price of a C63, yet still puts out 385 horses. Smart play by Benz that. Going to the extremes of the tax bracket.

Both brands come with a LOT of tech. Much of it is new. My C43 has a 3 liter, V6, Twin Turbo engine with a 9-speed automatic gearbox and a bunch of electronic gizmo's like their 4-matic which means it's rear-wheel drive till it detects slip, when it becomes 4 wheel drive. So of course - there's more stuff to go wrong. I just think that Benz do a better job of delivering all that new tech reliably. I feel that BMWs need a bit of "finishing off" in the repair shop.

And all that tech....

It's ludicrous - I can barely see any parts and the ones I can see, I have no idea what they are for... Could be a microwave oven there for all I know

So bear in mind - there's a lot of parts in these cars and ain't none of them cheap! 

What fuel were you using 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Crash999 said:

I had a 3-series a while back. Generally enjoyed owning it. Only issue I had was a strange squealing brake noise that the dealer tried to fix several times but it kept coming back. 

Eventually switched to Benz. Between the two I prefer Benz- better image in Thailand and in my opinion better interiors and tech. 

Benz clearly better, and the cops see the star coming from far.

I wanted a Cayenne but most Thai do not even know that the cheapest costs around 8mb, when they all think that Benz are super expensive.

We look better in a benz that most other expensive cars, for most Thai.

On 10/1/2020 at 3:02 PM, rambling said:

I have a F10 525D and like it a lot. No special issues other than normal maintenance and wear and tear. I like the comfort, handling, sportiness, etc. I don't think I can get the same driving experience from a Japanese car. I could be mistaken.

It does 4.8L/100km on a typical Bangkok-Korat trip (double that in the city) and I do that back and forth every weekend plus other trips (about 25 KM a year). So quite economical from a fuel consumption point of view.

Maintenance at the dealer is expensive, you'll need to find a reliable indy garage. There are quite a few of them.

Really true and so funny that any richard steels pretends that he doesn't know the difference because he is simply poor.

19 hours ago, pedro01 said:

- Benz - no free service

And all that tech....

it took you quite some times to understand that BMs are just problems after problems, another reason why they are cheaper than Benz and no discount.

Benzs are clearly more reliable, but the rest is correct.

People who think that they save with the free BM maintenance are not even able to understand that they will pay it later when guarantee expires, problem hard to find with most Benz.

It seems that BM have a planned obsolescence, after free maintenance, they hit you badly.

19 hours ago, pedro01 said:

If you are currently driving a Japanese car, you are more than welcome to meet up with me - we can pick a nice quiet road.

I'll have a drive of yours, you have a drive of mine. 

Then you'll be able to get an opinion from the 20's.

please let me join !!!

On 9/30/2020 at 6:46 AM, samtab said:

Funny boy !

Jut the engine alone of any Benz or BMW is alone 10x better than any Jap trash.

I've had 2 BMWs and didn't rate either, coming from 3 Lexus which all surpassed 100k with an issue, both bns had problems not least a camchain snapping, I've now gone back to japanese, infiniti this time, not a single problem in 23k miles. Jap cars are far superior to German period! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had five BMWs in the States—all bought used.  Could not replicate that here—prices much higher, parts could be difficult to acquire and qualified repair shops seem non-existent.  Despite these odds—still considering my sixth...

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2020 at 6:01 PM, bbabythai said:

Im interested to know if anyone has purchased a BM this yr or last yr. How do you rate it? Its made in Thailand. Is it still up to European standards?

Fine, no noticeable difference (build quality), servicing is second to none, had a sensor go out (was telling me i had flat tyres) but was a sensor, they just replaced it, washed it, and also applied another diamond coat for free.

5yrs servicing and warranty, you can't really complain about that.

I do roughly 3000klm a year in it mind as its the toy car for the weekend, so can't say about longevity.

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2020 at 6:01 PM, bbabythai said:

Final question is... and it applies to any model of car. How do you know when picking up a new car on the day that your getting the most recent 2020 model. Is the seat belt lable the only place to check? I once saw a guy under the car rubbing a pencil sideways with an a4 paper. He was able to sketch an imprint of the cars rego number I assume? Does that have the manufacture date?

They do that at the dealership when you collect it, they want you to collect there for the photos

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tigger01 said:

I've had 2 BMWs and didn't rate either, coming from 3 Lexus which all surpassed 100k with an issue, both bns had problems not least a camchain snapping, I've now gone back to japanese, infiniti this time, not a single problem in 23k miles. Jap cars are far superior to German period! 

BS ! Lexus are maybe the most reliable, but it's the only brand.

But anyway, for the same price, I prefer style than reliability seeked by the poor !

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Since this thread also have some Mercedes admires, I just want to share a picture from a car show at Central World.

It is amazing they can get 381 HP out of a small 1.991 l engine. 

Screenshot_20201005-135706_Photos.jpg

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mercedes-amg-unveils-most-powerful-four-pot-engine-ever

here is the beast

Mercedes-AMG's 2.0-litre M139 engine

• Like 1

Since this thread also have some Mercedes admires, I just want to share a picture from a car show at Central World.

It is amazing they can get 381 HP out of a small 1991cc engine. ......I think F1 engines are even smaller and they have a somewhat higher power output ......

I'm not exactly a Mercedes admirer ... I do have one but I think mine could be a FAKE ... over one year old now and hasn't needed the 'mother ship'! ????

13 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

We have similar taste in cars. Did you get the 4 doors C43?

Did you ever consider the GLC 43?

It dropped a million baht is price when they started to assemble it locally in 2018.

Ended up with 2 door coupe. Loved the rear end of it. 

GLC is nice but I fell in love with the Coupe... 

On 10/4/2020 at 8:57 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Oh ye have little faith.  My 2010 Toyota Fortuner I sold last year had 250,000 Km on it, serviced regularly and still ran like a top.  Sold it to buy my new Cayenne, wouldn't own a Beemer if I was paid to or given it for free. 

I am always curious about the Porsche fleet I see around Bangkok.  I kid you not, the "Supercar" parking at malls like Central World is almost always about 90% Porsche, and the vast majority would be a far cry from a "Supercar" in the US or Europe (here in BKK even a Boxster, aka a "hairdresser's car" elsewhere, is a "Supercar").  Do people actually pay the 3-4x US/Europe price (of which at least 70% is tax), or do these somehow come from a grey market imports?  Although I do like the brand, I just can't imagine paying US$200k+ for a car I could have in the US for $65K and where anyone would laugh hysterically if I called it a "Supercar" -- I guess I am just a cheapskate, but I stick to the boring Jap brands because I just can't bring myself to donating US$150K+ to the junta.  It's a similar scenario with the likes of BMW and Mercedes, just not quite as drastic...is it just me? I felt the same way when I lived in Singapore, similar prices to Thailand for full imports (fortunately I had a company car there).

Edited by eppic
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Opinions are based on recent BMW’s a 2012 F10 528 and the 15 X5 from from 2015 - Perhaps that is too old to compare to the lates 2020 model. The newer 5 Series and X5’s look excellent - but everything improves as it evolves. 

I think my point is fairy valid - I don’t think these vehicles are worth 2-3 times their competitors. Agreed they are better, but really, US$147,000 for a BMW X5 ???? (its cost 4.6MB).

That said, its 57 for the Mazda CX-5... Cars here are outrageously over priced (I know thats not the argument). 

The argument in this case from my perspective is, is a BMW worth 2-3 time the equivalent Japanese car (Honda / Toyota / Mazda) - I don’t think so. Is the BMW and Merc, Audi, Volvo, VW better ??? Yes, but not 2-3 times better. 

It is difficult to evaluate cars on a per dollar basis. They're an emotional buy for most people rather than pure intellectual logical purchase.

Also incremental added value seldom translates to incremental added price in most fields of life. Can an expensive laptop do 2 times more than a cheaper one which costs half the price? Does having more inches on the TV mean the comedy is funnier etc. etc.

So it's all a matter of taste and what a person values more, reliability, style, performance, image, comfort, fuel economy, color, interior design etc. the list is almost endless.

Btw I was pretty shocked reading your experience with the 528i. Seems like experiences can really vary. I pretty much abuse my 525D and take it all over Thailand including on pretty bad roads up country, in extreme traffic jams in Bkk, on high speed highways, and the only unplanned service / breakdown was an engine vibration damper croaking after 140,000 km. It cost 20,000 Baht to replace.

On the benefits side I get a super comfortable relaxing long distance cruiser AND a real hooligan aggressive performer all rolled into one. It's the automotive version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ????

• Like 2