Visa amnesty expected to be extended to 31 October

webfact

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I was told that amnesty is only possible under state of emergency. Funny how foreigners bash state of emergency unaware that's the only thing keeping many of them in the country...

Man oh man, my ignore list on this forum is just growing by the hour.  Good riddance to you! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They didn't think it through I. e. the foreigners here are helping to support businesses so kicking them out is stupid

Got that right... they are not 'business' minded; looking at the foreigner as a "customer" consuming a product called 'Thailand'. No market brand in the world would deliberately and ceremoniously kunt-kick any portion of their customer base out from there market,under any circumstance. That's business suicide no matter how superior you think your goods n service may be.

The military-minded (Junta) understands and thrives on control,its a very regimented and non-progressive approach to running a country (Myanmar a prime example).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Swimfan said:

Oh lord what a mess. This will be a massive kick in the face to all scrambling for embassy letters for extensions. 

Talking about that did anybody have trouble getting one from the Aussie embassy I still aint got mine but have a little extension left 

15 minutes ago, HaleySabai said:

Got that right... they are not 'business' minded; looking at the foreigner as a "customer" consuming a product called 'Thailand'. No market brand in the world would deliberately and ceremoniously kunt-kick any portion of their customer base out from there market,under any circumstance. That's business suicide no matter how superior you think your goods n service may be.

The military-minded (Junta) understands and thrives on control,its a very regimented and non-progressive approach to running a country (Myanmar a prime example).

You really need to think more outside of the box than just tourism in respects to the Amnesty.  There are many more here on non immigrant visas, work permits, and border passes from the 4 border countries than there are here on a tourist visa.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, worldfun said:

really?

meanwhile office at CW quoted as not knowing a thing about any extension. biz as usual? ????

My companion is at CW right now trying to get her working visa to teach at a school. The IO she spoke with, who initially denied her the visa until the school apparently went over her head, played dumb when she brought up the upcoming announcement. The IO even acted a tad surprised that she knew anything about it.

3 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I think it's time for Thailand to increase overstay fines to 20,000 baht per day 

A bit steep, but 5000 baht per day would be a much better deterrent than 500.

Instead of bringing in a new amnesty they could have allowed anyone on illegal overstay to stay as long as they want for 500 baht per day. Those who are cashed up (the sort of foreigners Thailand wants) would have agreed and coughed up 15,000 baht per month to stay for the next few months. Those living on mama noodles in fan rooms because they're broke would have to leave. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Watching the live press conference. My Thai is rather <deleted>ty, but did they just announce that anyone with a non immigrant visa can get an extension of stay when they show 500,000 baht in the bank?

Show us yours and we'll show you ours LOL

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't have children. But there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference whether I do or not, only that if I did it need only be seasoned during the application approval period. After the one-year extension is received the 400,000 can be used anyway, until rinse and repeat in 10 months time. Correct?

Yes, only difference being the not-needed 2 month seasoning period when applying for reason of dependent children vs marriage.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, worldfun said:

really?

meanwhile office at CW quoted as not knowing a thing about any extension. biz as usual? ????

Well they really would not know yet because no letters have gone out to tell them that.:cheesy: Its a bit like there driving when the brain take s a while to kick in

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Swimfan said:

Oh lord what a mess. This will be a massive kick in the face to all scrambling for embassy letters for extensions. 

And a massive diplomatic issue which forced foreign embassies to drop tools to issue letters that really were not needed...

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Um, not fair. I had to move money around, stuff around with a gazillion documents from many different agencies, waste so much time and money and now they do this? I should have just sat on my ass and done nothing!

Yes never pays to be too organised in Thailand or to anything official too early,over many years plenty of U turns handed out after regulations change