Farang kindergarten teacher suspended after alleged "for two finger neck" assault as Sarasas troubles widen

webfact

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

When teaching younger students, it can be necessary to 'manhandle' them, but only as a means to guide them in the room, not to assault them. 

Having taught younger children for years, both in the US and here in Thailand, I've never encountered a case in which manhandling a child was necessary. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

When I taught in Myanmar schools, there were CCTV cameras in all classrooms, for both the protection of the students and the teacher (eg - if 2 kids hit each other, the CCTV recording would show that it was not the teacher who caused the bruises etc).

When teaching younger students, it can be necessary to 'manhandle' them, but only as a means to guide them in the room, not to assault them. 

You obviously taught in an elite school. The two most recent Myanmar schools I visited last year were lucky to have electricity. Cracked walls, and the lack of even a fan were more obvious concerns. No one had ever heard of a CCTV camera. 

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Placed where? In the throat or on the back of the neck?

it only takes an opposing forefinger and thumb pair,

- to be able to stifle the kids both jugulars...

2 hours ago, J Town said:

The term "oriental" has long ago been deemed offensive. From my understanding (Thai girlfriend from Sa Kaeo area), "farang" means anyone not connected to the Asian continent. Someone from India is not a farang, someone from the Philippines or Japan are farangs.

Tell that to all the women who shop at Oriental Princess. 

And you really are embarrassingly clueless if you think Japanese, Filipinos and Africans are farangs.

Ok,  this is a problem, but my nephew (Kindergartner) was one of the students to be abused and yes it was a Filipino.  But it has been revealed that at least 11 others (all Thai) have been committing similar bad actions.  And that’s just at the one Ratchapreuk school.  I hope the Thai government doesn’t find out about this VERY slanted news reporting.   I’m sure they would be embarrassed!

23 minutes ago, tifino said:

it only takes an opposing forefinger and thumb pair,

- to be able to stifle the kids both jugulars...

You only have one jugular. One jugular and one carotid artery. The manoeuvre is done from the front not the back. Perfectly safe from the back.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

What I liked about living in Thailand is that you can away from all the identity politics and political correctness that we have in the West.

BTW, a black (is it ok to say black?) African name for white people is "Mazungu", it's just a name, I don't care what it means, or whether I or someone else finds it 'offensive'.

The problem is that Thai people see something on the internet that people have in the West, they then decide that they can use the idea of it to get what they want, without any interest in any of the other rules, responsibilities or regulations that we have. 

A good example is the recent pro-democracy movement where the students are attempting to use "human rights" as a tool to get what they want.  There are masses of human rights abuses in Thailand, the students have not mentioned any of them.  They don't even complain about the physical or sexual abuse that goes on in the schools and is fairly widely accepted.  They clearly have no interest in human rights as a concept, they just think they will help them get what they want.

In a way, it's great that Thai people are open to the idea of actual rules and regulations, but if they finish at the meeting then hop in their unregulated emission spewing car, with no seatbelt, tearing along a swerving through traffic like a maniac, dodging scooters with four children on without helmets on going the wrong way down the road, while they don't pay any tax, regularly bribe or receive bribes, along with many other things that wouldn't fly in the West, they come across as a little bit hypocritical.

9 minutes ago, polpott said:

You only have one jugular. One jugular and one carotid artery. The manoeuvre is done from the front not the back. Perfectly safe from the back.

Oh, how human physiology has changed since I was at school!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polpott said:

Farang = white Westerner. Doesn't include Phillipinos or Japanese.

BTW. The Phillipines and Japan are in Asia.

From what I recall it came from French, first western visitors to Siam, who were trying to teach Thais to say français but the closest they got to it was falangse... or falang for short.

Not sure this is just a myth or true, but yes, farang is never used for an Asian looking person...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

From what I recall it came from French, first western visitors to Siam, who were trying to teach Thais to say français but the closest they got to it was falangse... or falang for short.

Not sure this is just a myth or true, but yes, farang is never used for an Asian looking person...

I've heard that also.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Pay peanuts you get... nuf said.

I saw the quoted school fee as 100K a semester. The have a huge profit margin....but maybe not for much longger. My school already got enquiries from parents at that school. But we are pretty much full. 

1 hour ago, robertson468 said:

None of the Foreigners are "farangs".  Only disrespectful Thais use this word.  They seem to relish in the rudeness of using it.

If, as someone mentioned 'Oriental' is considered 'offensive', is 'Westerner' also deemed to be offensive word? A person from the east, or a person from the west. 

To me Thailand is/was like a haven, away from political correctness, unlike the UK, where I now live.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

So where does baxi da come from (Issan for farang).

They use 'farang' instead of filipino, because Thailand employs a lot filipino teachers and aim to increase that number. Problem? What problem. Just use the Farang dog whistle. The fact that filipinos are not farang, means nothing to the PuYai Sith Lords.

Just now, tomazbodner said:

I was told, over beers, Franks were the main fighters in the crusades. This got all euros tagged as 'franks' by the muslims. The muslims traded with and expanded into the Indian ocean. More often than not when they encountered westerners, be it Portuguese , Dutch, French, English, they used the old term for westerners; FRANK and locals adopted variations of it too. It's a Leo derived tale so ... but it sounds good