Kidney disease

offset

You have family in another country?

Grandkids, etc.?

I think I would at least try a lifestyle change for a month or two.  Maybe you will feel so good you will like it.

But, if you hate it then go back to what you were doing it is your life to control.

1 hour ago, offset said:

Creatine 124. BUN 15 I think not have report with me

Can't be, creatnine is usually 1. something - might you mean 1.24? In which case within normal range for a man. (though nearing the upper limit of normal)

If your creatnine and BUN were normal no need to worry about the GFR. In people over 70, GFR below 60 can be normal. GFR is just a calculated number, not a separate test, and often the Thai labs don't adjust for age when they run it.

https://academic.oup.com/ndt/article/27/7/2664/1850733

Assuming your creatnine was 1.24, and all other tests normal, the only thing I would advise is rechecking creatnine in a year's time. And maybe avoid or minimize use of paracetemol and NSAIDs. (Doesn't mean you can never take para, but keep use infrequent and doses low)

In terms of protecting one's kidneys the basics are:

keeping BP well controlled

avoiding diabetes or, if diabetic, keeping blood sugar well controlled

minimizing use of nephrotoxic drugs like paracetemol, NSAIDs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Can't be, creatnine is usually 1. something - might you mean 1.24? In which case within normal range for a man. (though nearing the upper limit of normal)

If your creatnine and BUN were normal no need to worry about the GFR. In people over 70, GFR below 60 can be normal. GFR is just a calculated number, not a separate test, and often the Thai labs don't adjust for age when they run it.

https://academic.oup.com/ndt/article/27/7/2664/1850733

Assuming your creatnine was 1.24, and all other tests normal, the only thing I would advise is rechecking creatnine in a year's time. And maybe avoid or minimize use of paracetemol and NSAIDs. (Doesn't mean you can never take para, but keep use infrequent and doses low)

In terms of protecting one's kidneys the basics are:

keeping BP well controlled

avoiding diabetes or, if diabetic, keeping blood sugar well controlled

minimizing use of nephrotoxic drugs like paracetemol, NSAIDs

Thank you for your advice it stopped me worrying, yes Creatine was 1.24. I think I will just cut out the salt and check again in 3 months time

16 hours ago, offset said:

Thank you for your advice it stopped me worrying, yes Creatine was 1.24. I think I will just cut out the salt and check again in 3 months time

It isn't salt, it's sugar (carbohydrates) that damages kidneys. Too MUCH salt is harmful, but most people don't get enough.

Here's the first link I found in relation to the subject, there are many others: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/kidney-health

I have been Keto / low carb for 18 months now, when My doctor told me my kidneys were working at 30%, at which point he prescribed statins (not for the kidneys of course) . Never touched the statins, stopped my blood pressure meds and things went back to normal, I'm 72, training for my first Half Marathon. 

Neither salt nor sugar directly harm the kidneys.

If salt consumption contributes to hypertension, or sugar comsumption to diabetes, then those conditions can damage the kidneys over time.

There is no need for special dietary measures for kidneys in someone without hypertension or diabetes and with normal renal function.  

• 3 months later...

Just had my blood test carried out Creatine level down from 1.24 to 1.11 and the BUN down from 15 to 14

I am surprised that the Creatine level came down by so much of a short time although i have been careful what I am eating and i have lost 11kg in weight in that time

Minor flunctuations in creatnine, even from hour to hour, are normal and don't  mean much.  In addition,

your initial creatnine was still within what is usually considered normal range, though at its upper end.

For an adult man normal creatnine range is  0.9 to 1.3 mg/dL for adult males

Your BUN is already well within normal range and was from the start.

Most likely you have never had a kidney issue..

Where have these labs been done?  Accuracy of the lab needs to be considered and also whether the hospital/lab is using a reasonable reference range. It is not unknown for Thai private hospitals to use unnecessarily low cut offs.

The most important things to prevent future kidney disease ( as mentioned  there is no indication you currently have or had a kidney problem) are:

1- maintaining a normal blood pressure

2 - avoiding or controlling diabetes

3- minimizing use of medications that are pitentially toxic to the kidneys such as NSAIDs (iboprofen etc) and paracetemol. That doesn't mean never ever take them, but do not take often or in high doses.

Diet can play a role in #1 and #2.

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Minor flunctuations in creatnine, even from hour to hour, are normal and don't  mean much.  In addition,

your initial creatnine was still within what is usually considered normal range, though at its upper end.

For an adult man normal creatnine range is  0.9 to 1.3 mg/dL for adult males

Your BUN is already well within normal range and was from the start.

Most likely you have never had a kidney issue..

Where have these labs been done?  Accuracy of the lab needs to be considered and also whether the hospital/lab is using a reasonable reference range. It is not unknown for Thai private hospitals to use unnecessarily low cut offs.

The most important things to prevent future kidney disease ( as mentioned  there is no indication you currently have or had a kidney problem) are:

1- maintaining a normal blood pressure

2 - avoiding or controlling diabetes

3- minimizing use of medications that are pitentially toxic to the kidneys such as NSAIDs (iboprofen etc) and paracetemol. That doesn't mean never ever take them, but do not take often or in high doses.

Diet can play a role in #1 and #2.

Thank you for your help both test were carried out at the same hospital

I have stopped using a lot of NSAIDS and paracetemol I now use Tylenol and will carry on the same diet I am on now

5 minutes ago, offset said:

Thank you for your help both test were carried out at the same hospital

I have stopped using a lot of NSAIDS and paracetemol I now use Tylenol and will carry on the same diet I am on now

May have been the same hospital but what I am trying to explain is that the tests always were in normal range and the hospital may use an overly low  cut off for normal (a common ploy at Thai private hospitals).

And the small difference in the 2 sets of labs you mention do not mean much if anything at all. These values aren't static, they naturally flunctuate.

You do not have and did not have any indication of a kidney problem. If it would help, consult a nephrologist and have him explain.

1 hour ago, offset said:

Just had my blood test carried out Creatine level down from 1.24 to 1.11 and the BUN down from 15 to 14

I am surprised that the Creatine level came down by so much of a short time although i have been careful what I am eating and i have lost 11kg in weight in that time

Losing 11kg! Congrats on that accomplishment. That is going to be beneficial for your health overall going forward.