Thai bank Debit cards

actonion

Has anyone here  ever asked their Bank why some businesses (mainly Hotels) here  charge  a  percentage for the use of a Debit card when trying to make a purchase, when  many Supermarkets, and car  parts places, ++ dont charge ?......I have asked why. they tell me its because the Banks charge them, so i asked the Bank, the Bank's  reply was "not sure"   but i think its up to the business place ......like most things  cant get a straight answer.... I can understand a percentage being charged using  a Credit card, but a Debit card is immediate payment  from your account..
"

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

Just use cash. I would never use any debit/credit card in Thailand.

Why wouldn't you use a debit or credit card in Thailand? I nearly exclusively use cards to pay for everything and have never had a problem in over 10 years. I use all types of International cards and my local Thai debit card.

Using a Thai debit card is the same as taking out cash at the ATM but far more convenient. I've never been charged a surcharge to use it for anything, anywhere. There are some chain restaurants which offer a discount for cash, in which case I would pay cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, couchpotato said:
6 hours ago, Henryford said:

Why??  Please clarify your rather bold statement.

While I disagree with the guy in practice, Thailand is notorious for card fraud, and especially for banks ducking responsibility for the incumbent losses.

I used my K-Bank debit card all the time in Thailand.  But I never kept more in the attached account than I was comfortable losing.  That said, I never had a problem.  Some TVF posters over the years did have problems, along with lots of threads torn from local news about Thais losing a bunch of money to card fraud.  And Thai banks saying "not our fault, not our problem".

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

While I disagree with the guy in practice, Thailand is notorious for card fraud, and especially for banks ducking responsibility for the incumbent losses.

I used my K-Bank debit card all the time in Thailand.  But I never kept more in the attached account than I was comfortable losing.  That said, I never had a problem.  Some TVF posters over the years did have problems, along with lots of threads torn from local news about Thais losing a bunch of money to card fraud.  And Thai banks saying "not our fault, not our problem".

Disagree---have been using cards here (started with Diners Club and AMEX so many years ago) and local cards for the past 25 years. never a problem with fraud, payments or service.

Have worked and travelled in nearly 80 countries and had some bad experiences with card fraud etc,....BUT never here.

Lots of people just go on hearsay and then post as if its their experience...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Disagree---have been using cards here (started with Diners Club and AMEX so many years ago) and local cards for the past 25 years. never a problem with fraud, payments or service.

Have worked and travelled in nearly 80 countries and had some bad experiences with card fraud etc,....BUT never here.

Lots of people just go on hearsay and then post as if its their experience...

Thailand 2020 Crime &Safety Report: Bangkok

The risk of credit/debit card fraud and identity fraud is relatively high. There have been instances in which international criminal organizations based in Malaysia, Ukraine, Russia, and elsewhere have installed sophisticated skimming devices on ATMs in order to steal cardholder information and subsequently withdraw money from accounts.

https://www.osac.gov/Content/Report/6f897cfd-0ee8-4612-ab80-180df4efad3c

Just because it hasn't happened to us, doesn't mean it isn't common.

• Like 1

I had to cancel a credit card recently some fraud transactions went through, the bank was unable to tell the source, they said it could have been from something I've bought years ago also companies get hacked all the time, I don't save details online anymore. I do avoid using cards with small retailers, only big chains

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Henryford said:

I got 'stiffed' by the Ford dealer in that way, it was quite a sizeable bill I was paying and I did not have the cash, and I had been dropped off by a friend to pay and collect my vehicle so no option to shoot off to an ATM. Still wonder if they were pocketing the surcharge....  Should have got the debit card out I guess but I make a point of never using it that way and solely as an ATM.

Not sure about in Thailand, but in the UK, if credit card fraud can be proved to not be your fault, your money is covered.

If fraudsters can get hold of your debit card details they can empty your bank account, and no bank cover for that.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, impulse said:

The risk of credit/debit card fraud and identity fraud is relatively high. There have been instances in which international criminal organizations based in Malaysia, Ukraine, Russia, and elsewhere have installed sophisticated skimming devices on ATMs in order to steal cardholder information and subsequently withdraw money from accounts.

Never had an issue in Thailand...but twice when using credit card in Malaysia...within 24 hours bank notified me of unathorized charges. This was once in a department store in Penang and second in a restuarant in Kl...never again. Obviously they were skimmed by a person working there....seeme to be a racket. The good news is Malaysia doesn't have the outrageous 220 baht ATM fee...so always better to use cash there.

All businesses has to pay credit card processing fee to the bank and all of them pass down the cost to the customer. Many merchants increased their prices to absorb the cost of the credit card fees but that’s the ‘hidden’ method of charging a fee. Those merchants ‘should’ then offer a ‘discount’ for people who pay by cash. Some are upfront about the fee and give the customer the option to pay in cash.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, actonion said:

Has anyone here  ever asked their Bank why some businesses (mainly Hotels) here  charge  a  percentage for the use of a Debit card when trying to make a purchase, when  many Supermarkets, and car  parts places, ++ dont charge ?.

Actonion,

As both a former banker and a man who owned a retail store I can tell you the credit card/debit card companies charge the merchant for using the card.  The charge ranges from a low of about 2% to a high of over 4%.  If the card has perks like flight miles, cash rebate etc., the cost for those is passed on to the merchant.  Yes a debit card takes the money from your account immediately but the merchant does not get those monies any faster than a credit card.  They are batched and processed.  Sometimes 1 day sometimes 3 days for the merchant to receive its money.  One way or another the hotel, restaurant, supermarket etc is getting less than 100%.  Most businesses just treat the expense as a cost of doing business.  Others particularly on high amounts charge the extra 2% to 3%.  Some will even offer a discount for Cash. 

I did have one card from the Halifax cloned/hacked in 2014 from the Kasikorn ATM (almost certainly) opposite Alcazar. The card itself was only ever used in Thailand anyway.

Because I keep very little money in accounts with "active" ATM cards (I transfer in before use from side accounts) they didnt get much from memory about £120 and used it for a car hire back in UK and some shopping in Aldi lol

To be fair to the Halifax they reinstated the cash within 48 hours.

Appreciate OP didnt ask that but couple others have raised the point that using cards is no problem. If it can happen to me who is on his guard 24/7 it can happen to anyone

On 10/7/2020 at 11:55 PM, impulse said:

A cursory glance at any ATM will totally eliminate the chances of this happening. Just use well lit machines in well traveled locations. If you're still worried, use ATMs at banks inside malls.

However, I've noticed over the last year or so you can use international VISA/Mastercard credit/debit cards at most supermarkets without signature if you spend below a certain level (1500 baht? not sure the cutoff), so your card is cash and if you lose it or it is stolen, anyone can easily spend on it.

On 10/7/2020 at 6:31 PM, impulse said:

// along with lots of threads torn from local news about Thais losing a bunch of money to card fraud.  And Thai banks saying "not our fault, not our problem".

You may have noticed that in many (most?) of these cases, it was a "family problem"...

I know that banks in my country (France) usually not consider it's a fraud (and then not cover it) when your card is used by someone close to you, family member. Same here.

On 10/7/2020 at 11:44 PM, couchpotato said:

doesn't mean it won't happen or doesn't happen, there have been many reports of money going missing from accounts here and they were all linked to cards and very likely inside jobs - yes bank employees 

there most certainly are grounds for caution 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 7:39 AM, jacko45k said:

I got 'stiffed' by the Ford dealer in that way, it was quite a sizeable bill I was paying and I did not have the cash, and I had been dropped off by a friend to pay and collect my vehicle so no option to shoot off to an ATM. Still wonder if they were pocketing the surcharge....  Should have got the debit card out I guess but I make a point of never using it that way and solely as an ATM.

Yes me too with Ford ..they told me i can use a Debit card  without any percentage added if the bill was less tht 10,000b after that 3% will be added to the bill, now i find a private bloke to service my car, no %, no tax added. he does a better job than Ford too

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2020 at 12:22 PM, Thomas J said:

Actonion,

As both a former banker and a man who owned a retail store I can tell you the credit card/debit card companies charge the merchant for using the card.  The charge ranges from a low of about 2% to a high of over 4%.  If the card has perks like flight miles, cash rebate etc., the cost for those is passed on to the merchant.  Yes a debit card takes the money from your account immediately but the merchant does not get those monies any faster than a credit card.  They are batched and processed.  Sometimes 1 day sometimes 3 days for the merchant to receive its money.  One way or another the hotel, restaurant, supermarket etc is getting less than 100%.  Most businesses just treat the expense as a cost of doing business.  Others particularly on high amounts charge the extra 2% to 3%.  Some will even offer a discount for Cash. 

Thank you Thomas for your very informative reply,much appreciated, why the Banks here could'nt have told me this i dont know...