Food deliveryman dies in freak accident during Bangkok morning rush hour

webfact

38 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Yes  ALL.

You really believe that all riders are a menace.  Wow, I guess I must also be a menace when I ride my bike with all my safety gear on.  30+ years of riding large bikes and Police motorbikes in the US, must just make me worse then those locals riding in t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, no helmet, and carrying the wife and two kids on the 110 or 125.  Good on you to take a stand and paint all riders with the same broad brush.

Edited by ThailandRyan

33 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Yet they can afford to buy the bike.

Unfortunately, the bike is a necessity. If they could buy a cheaper bike they would. Some of the better helmets can cost a good percentage of the cost of the bike. 

At 49, the poor guy was probably a family man. 

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You really believe that all riders are a menace.  Wow, I guess I must also be a menace when I ride my bike with all my safety gear on.  30+ years of riding large bikes and Police motorbikes in the US, must just make me worse then those locals riding in t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, no helmet, and carrying the wife and two kids on the 110 or 125.  Good on you to take a stand and paint all riders with the same broad brush.

"Police motorbikes" - HD, BMW, or Moto Guzzi ? 

Although I don't see Thai riders a threat to society, after years riding in the States, starting in the 60s, I must say I haven't seen so many American riders ride with the total abandoned for saftey that I see here. 

One again: 

unsafe.jpg

• Like 1

I rode my motorcycle down Rajadamri Road today to the MRT station at 8:30 in the morning and caught a red light at Sarasin at Lumpini Park.  So 50 motorcycles cued up at front, a few buses and 100 cars taking off from the red light heading into a bottleneck where 2 of the 3 lanes were cars waiting to turn into Lumpini Park.  What a mindset the motorcycle and bus drivers have.  They have to go fast and they have to go first.  Just insanity.  A bus honked at me while driving so close I could have reached back and touched its front bumper.  There was no where I could go and that was obvious.

I was quite judgmental and then, honestly, I reminded myself of the 200,000 people dead of Covid in my country and the reason why and that stopped me in my tracks.  I had to ask myself, is my country really that much better?

Edited by ricklev

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Poor man RIP, I wonder if he was wearing the helmet at the time he was unfortunately run over since his helmet was found next to the bike 5 meters away from his body.

Unfortunately they deliver and take off the helmet, and then thinks it´s such a short way to the next stop that they do not put them on. Tragic and sad, but nothing much to have time to do if the bus driver speaks the truth.

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

No one can ever stop in time here ????Rip 

How easy do you think it is to stop a bus full with people driving in 60 km/h in 2 seconds? Ever driven a big truck or a bus?

• Thanks 1

God, all the war stories are coming out now........"i've seen this / i've been in that"

There's no doubt it makes more sense to wear a helmet, however in the case the chap was run over by a B U S, so i'm quite confident in saying a helmet in this particular accident that was mentioned the helmet would have made little or no difference.

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Unfortunately they deliver and take off the helmet, and then thinks it´s such a short way to the next stop that they do not put them on. Tragic and sad, but nothing much to have time to do if the bus driver speaks the truth.

How easy do you think it is to stop a bus full with people driving in 60 km/h in 2 seconds? Ever driven a big truck or a bus?

Why drive a bus full of people at 60kph on an inner city road in rush hour could be a clue your lacking ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Why drive a bus full of people at 60kph on an inner city road in rush hour could be a clue your lacking ????

Probably because that is the speed the traffic is usually moving in. Have you tried to drive a big bus in floating traffic at rush hour? Did you try to drive slower than the other traffic?

14 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

You must be kidding! We're now talking about people who have to trust each other when doing speeds of over 250 km/h.

Don't you think that these guys are worse riders when they ride through Bangkok city? 

Were you ever riding on a track before? It would be best if you rode in a way, thinking that another rider might come off, and your reaction will be very sharp by doing so. 

How  many cars,  buses, dogs  and,  people are there wandering all over their race tracks?  how many other bikes blindly  pulling out in front of them? they may well trust EACH  OTHER  but do they know and trust EVERYONE  else on the roads? Reaction times are irrelevant when someone does something totally unexpected. You don't get it at all do you, ps been riding bikes since I was 18 from 250cc to 1100 cc.

Edited by gunderhill

13 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Unfortunately, the bike is a necessity. If they could buy a cheaper bike they would. Some of the better helmets can cost a good percentage of the cost of the bike. 

At 49, the poor guy was probably a family man. 

But their life isn't a necessity right and when the parents are dead whose  going to  bring  up  little Somchai

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your'e  very excitable aren't you, of  course id  don't really believe it it an "expression" 30 years, you have a  way to go yet , 41 years so far for me. Currently Honda Cbr650f.............ps , calm down a bit.

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

But their life isn't a necessity right and when the parents are dead whose  going to  bring  up  little Somchai

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

Your'e  very excitable aren't you, of  course id  don't really believe it it an "expression" 30 years, you have a  way to go yet , 41 years so far for me. Currently Honda Cbr650f.............ps , calm down a bit.

Unfortunately, many Thais are stuck in a financial trap. Many survive hand-to-mouth, day-to-day.

Long ago, wife put it into perspective for me: "They have no choice."  

If they had the ฿300,000± for that CBR, many would probably buy a car or truck and not need a personal protection gear. 

Sad that the Grab m/c should die. My condolences to his family.

However, as I mentioned on another thread, the Panda and Grab m/c take a lot of risks as they weave in and out of the traffic at speed...at least in my area. Does anyone here know if they are paid on a delivery basis rather than a set wage?

17 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

The vehicle that ran him over was airconditioned bus No 26, which runs between Bang Khen and Victory Monument.

RIP, poor lad! WTH wants to know if it was an airconditioned bus? 

Perhaps its because the a/c no. 26 is a different bus to the non-ac no. 26?

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Probably because that is the speed the traffic is usually moving in. Have you tried to drive a big bus in floating traffic at rush hour? Did you try to drive slower than the other traffic?

It's called diving to conditions not following other lemmings and yes driven everything from a CBR900RR-HGV and everything in between????   

21 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Knowing how to ride on a track and controlling  a  bike  safely in traffic and  being aware of other road users are two totally different things.

I have ridden through all the main parts of Bangkok, and in my experience, I have felt safer than in any other Thai city.

Please, freak accident ? 

He was speeding & still determined to pass the taxi come hell or high water , lost control & was run over by a bus 

after falling on the road. Sorry, but par for the course,

This video should be shown to all motorbike licence seekers to remind them about patience

RIP mate

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:05 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Poor man RIP, I wonder if he was wearing the helmet at the time he was unfortunately run over since his helmet was found next to the bike 5 meters away from his body.

Yes the helmet would have protected him for the rear wheel of the bus running him over.