History lessons will soon include more recent events, says Wissanu

webfact

19 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Even Thai people normaly know where is Finland. 70% US people don't know and if know something they think there only live polar bear's! 

But i think here they only teach history of Buddha. What you can expect if one lesson is Thai dance!

I've never been asked by you where Finland is or any nonsense about polar bears. What I do know is that your comments are biased and irrelevant to the story.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, ChipButty said:

That has always surprised me History not being one of their strong points, or do they just brush it to one side as though it didnt happen?

Well, if you dig into history than you can then compare and contrasts times of liberty against times of repression, liberty against totalitarianism.  Then the astute observer can seek to side-step the mistakes of history and identify the signs of oppression.

If you only study current events, then repression can be spun as freedom, totalitarianism as liberty. 

Needless to say I'm a student of history.  It doesn't make you popular.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

“Many parents have asked me why schools do not teach about previous political rallies, because their children do not want to participate in ongoing events. So, I want to know whether the ministry has included events that have taken place in the past 70 to 80 years in history lessons.”

if that's the case, please be so kind and start by explaining the 1976 (unsolved) military massacre

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/events/remembering-the-thammasat-university-massacre-october-6-1976

https://news.yahoo.com/thais-remember-1976-student-massacre-092632621.html

Thais remember 1976 student massacre as protests grow

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13795457

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

A bit like in Australia, they will flaunt Captain Cook discovery her, but nothing about the atrocities caused to the Aboriginal people over the generations, unfortunately no one cares and if you bring it up, expect some harsh criticism.

Include most other countries of the world too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fangless said:

Surely it is the teachers job to teach the truth and or show them how and where to find it!.

The students can't find it if it is not made available to them!

The teachers don't know the truth, and if they tried, I imagine they would be reprimanded.

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

I wonder if the subjects will include "Former Prime Ministers"??

13,177 Thaksin Shinawatra Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty  Images

That's an interesting issue, probably more interesting and pressing as many might imagine.

Currently it is not unlikely that the Shins are part of the "new history". If so, it is still likely that an overly negative image of them will be painted. But, I very deliberately wrote "still likely" in the sentence above, instead of "sure"!

Looking to the recent events, especially a certain visit of Thaksins ex-wife and the turmoil in the Pheu Thai party, it seems quite likely that a "government of national unity" is the current plan of the elite, to counter the students, the protests and Move Forward.

This plan might be that Pheu Thai could join a civil "government of national unity" still in October, under Anutin and after Prayut will have been told to step down and to go home. There will be some imposed "reconcilation" to re-unify the elite, and Thaksin will be welcomed back to join this "government of national unity" with Pheu Thai.

The majority of the elite will be thoroughly happy, as then they are strong enough to safely counter the protest movement and to save the system. Thaksin will be forgiven as he will be loyal to the rest of the elite, and he just will be happy that he can come home to spend the rest of his years in Thailand. This is all to fend-off the threat coming from the students protests and Move Forward and to protect the status quo. 

The student protesters then will lack the support of the farmers from Isaan as Pheu Thai is part of the new government, and unfortunately Move Forward, the only honest party which acts in the interest of the people, will be weakened by this.

Under this "government of national unity" nothing will change, everything will stay as it is. Only the toxic influence of Prayut and Prawit will be finished. They will promise "true democracy, a new constitution, elections. Neither of this will be fair, however. 

Coming back to the topic of "education" here, such a plan would have an influence on how the "teach" about the Shins at schools then, of course. 

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Redline said:

The teachers don't know the truth, and if they tried, I imagine they would be reprimanded.

A good number of them do, but they refrain from it because if they would be ratted out to the head of the school they would be reprimanded. Or even if the head agrees, they could be ratted out to somebody higher up... So even those teachers who do know a bit more stick to the  standard lessons that explain how Thailand is a wonderfully blessed country, a great nation, great kings, religion and all that. Only good things ever happend and if anything less nice happend it was corrected by nation, religion, king.  Unity, obedience, lovely isn't it?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Donutz said:

A good number of them do, but they refrain from it because if they would be ratted out to the head of the school they would be reprimanded. Or even if the head agrees, they could be ratted out to somebody higher up... So even those teachers who do know a bit more stick to the  standard lessons that explain how Thailand is a wonderfully blessed country, a great nation, great kings, religion and all that. Only good things ever happend and if anything less nice happend it was corrected by nation, religion, king.  Unity, obedience, lovely isn't it?

It’s really sad because the natural beauty and location of the country could make it a player in the region, but instead they decided to play their own people, and live in a dead end situation.  Without proper education, Thailand will go no further, and it will fall much further behind than it already is.  This system for the rich can only go so far, it seems it has hit a wall.