American expat avoids jail for negative review - reaches settlement with Koh Chang hotel

webfact

This whole episode reminds me of a time my wife and I booked a couple of nights at a "resort" in Hua Hin. On the first night, we were tired from the journey to the hotel, and it was raining heavily. We decided to order food dishes listed on the room service menu. When my wife called in the order, the hotel staff indicated that "Sorry, no can do. It is raining. Cannot get food."

Obviously I was not amused. The next day we checked out.

This is a true story, not some fabricated anecdote. I have my wife as a witness. The hotel, if it still exists, was ironically called Sabai Sabai Resort.

Perhaps on my next entry into Thailand, I too will spend a day or two in jail. :whistling:

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

This whole episode reminds me of a time my wife and I booked a couple of nights at a "resort" in Hua Hin. On the first night, we were tired from the journey to the hotel, and it was raining heavily. We decided to order food dishes listed on the room service menu. When my wife called in the order, the hotel staff indicated that "Sorry, no can do. It is raining. Cannot get food."

Obviously I was not amused. The next day we checked out.

This is a true story, not some fabricated anecdote. I have my wife as a witness. The hotel, if it still exists, was ironically called Sabai Sabai Resort.

Perhaps on my next entry into Thailand, I too will spend a day or two in jail. :whistling:

How incredibly interesting, thanks.

Did you run around several sites making posts accusing the hotel of using slave labour?  And then not responding to requests to talk about it?  If not I think you're probably OK.

Guess what?  I have stayed at the Sea View on Koh Chang several times and like the place - my kids love the beach, the room, the wildlife, the pools, and the funicular.....thing.  I even left a critical review once and absolutely nobody arrested me because the review was an actual review of the service on that occasion, I did not make slanderous remarks about the hotel using slave labour.  The manager responded on TA that he was sorry about the things I reported, they were not acceptable and he would look to correct them.  I have also left great reviews after great visits.

Having said that I think the hotel behaved very foolishly in this matter.  But I also think the guy was a moron who probably got a useful wake up call.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

At the end of the day......

the hotel even during COVID times is still getting customers, the vast majority of whom are leaving excellent reviews 

Wesley Barnes on the other hand has been forced to leave Thailand against his wishes.... almost certainly the Thai authorities will have put a mark on his passport, so his future travel around south east Asia will be problematic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pinoydave said:

the hotel even during COVID times is still getting customers, the vast majority of whom are leaving excellent reviews 

Wesley Barnes on the other hand has been forced to leave Thailand against his wishes.... almost certainly the Thai authorities will have put a mark on his passport, so his future travel around south east Asia will be problematic 

Nah, it will only effect travel to Thailand.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:18 PM, salsajapan said:

Enjoy hotel owner !!!!

Screenshot_20201112-075935_Chrome.jpg

Will the hotel now file defamation charges against TripAdvisor? Will any staff member residing in Thailand be jailed? Valid questions when dealing with a justice system that appears to be ingesting LSD.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Showtime said:

Everywhere else in the world hoteliers are worried about reviews and will bend over backwards to not get a negative one.   Surprise, not in Thailand.

Here's an article where a social media influencer tried to get 5 free nights for herself and her boyfriend in Dublin

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5400521/dublin-hotel-banned-bloggers-elle-darby-youtube-bill/#:~:text=A HOTEL owner in a,for her and her partner.

• Haha 2

On 11/13/2020 at 12:54 AM, Pinoydave said:

keep dreaming yes ! Let's see what happens in the future...

On 11/11/2020 at 11:09 PM, mark131v said:

Petty, vindictive, thin skinned and above all else stupid and smallminded. Bet they thought a gentle bit of intimidation was all they needed, wrong...

Are you describing Mr Barnes or the hotel.? 

Why would travel around South East Asia be problematic?

He might have issues in Thailand, but nowhere else.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Social media has become an Orwellian system that only allows opinions that it agrees with, anything else is banned, no better than Nazi propagandists. The monster is probably now too big to tame.

Trump was taming it which is why they crushed him. Thankfully it isn't over just yet.

• Haha 1

Yea they've had a lot of publicly and some will go just to have a look but the novelty will wear off.
I wrote to Trip Advisor advising them to make the Notice more visible maybe bold lettering and in Bright Red would be great.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, josephbloggs said:

How incredibly interesting, thanks.

Did you run around several sites making posts accusing the hotel of using slave labour?  And then not responding to requests to talk about it?  If not I think you're probably OK.

Guess what?  I have stayed at the Sea View on Koh Chang several times and like the place - my kids love the beach, the room, the wildlife, the pools, and the funicular.....thing.  I even left a critical review once and absolutely nobody arrested me because the review was an actual review of the service on that occasion, I did not make slanderous remarks about the hotel using slave labour.  The manager responded on TA that he was sorry about the things I reported, they were not acceptable and he would look to correct them.  I have also left great reviews after great visits.

Having said that I think the hotel behaved very foolishly in this matter.  But I also think the guy was a moron who probably got a useful wake up call.

Lol by several Sites do you actually mean 2 sites Trip Advisor and Google with a total of 4 reviews and comparing the way Management treat Staff to "Modern Day Slave Labor" in the English langue is called a "Simile" look it up

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2020 at 1:25 PM, salsajapan said:

Google is still deleting negative reviews !

https://www.google.com/search?q=koh+chang+sea+view+resort

I wish that millions people post some and flood the axxholes at google ! Who are they to decide what we can post or not ?

Yea better wait a few months or even better until tourism recovers I will.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thailandbeachisland said:

I just posted a negative review ! I hope it helps !

42 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Yea better wait a few months or even better until tourism recovers I will.

Seems like the reviews on the internet are not reliable if people who haven't even been there are allowed to post. The Bully club posting false reviews because a fellow bully got his just desserts so they spit out their dummy's and make things up just like he did.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2020 at 4:00 PM, Rancid said:

Social media has become an Orwellian system that only allows opinions that it agrees with, anything else is banned, no better than Nazi propagandists. The monster is probably now too big to tame.

Noy really, it just wants people to be honest

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RobU said:

Seems like the reviews on the internet are not reliable if people who haven't even been there are allowed to post. The Bully club posting false reviews because a fellow bully got his just desserts so they spit out their dummy's and make things up just like he did.

Yes for sure reviews can't be reliable when people are threatened with Criminal Defamation for negative ones.

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

Are some people here claiming that even though they have never been to the hotel, they have, or intend to, write negative reviews?

No definitely not go there first!

But don't you think a Hotel Bullying it's customers into removing negative reviews deserves a taste of it's own medicine?