American expat avoids jail for negative review - reaches settlement with Koh Chang hotel

webfact

I haven't been back in my home country of America for awhile, and haven't kept up with all those new govt agent shows like "NCIS".

But it was on one of those shows, about two years ago, the plot involved them going to Thailand to rescue someone. They warned the agents, "Be careful what you say. There's no free speech in Thailand". I remember this was in the news and created a row with the Thai govt. They totally denied such things, banned the show, and demanded the producers issue an apology.

It's rather funny on two levels. One, they pull their familiar "You must apologize" behaviour. And two, as in this case, what they're demanding the apology for is absolutely true.

And to that I'm having another drink this evening. Cheers, Amazing Thailand. ????

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But, the reality is, we do not have the facts. It could have been a bottle of wine. The patron could have been abused by management and the staff. It is likely the "info" about the corkage being waived is fake news, by management. I am always more inclined to believe a customer, than a hotel. Especially a hotel in this position, that they have put themselves into. There is so little we really know about what went on here.

I will double down here. It was a huge error on the part of the hotel, and total corruption on the part of the police, and a huge over reach on the part of the government for having this law in the first place. Alot of foolishness here, and the Sea View Hotel in Koh Chang is paying the price for it. Hooray!

Your replies regarding this topic seem to be filled with, "We don't know this, we don't know that". The reality is that you don't know these things, for the simple reason you haven't bothered to read up on the subject. I suggest you read the Americans own account of what happened before making further contributions: https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1309838923175133185

Edited by Myran

seems like mr. barnes is been forced to apologize in order to get away with the problem. the damage is already done. just imagine 1 guy against the entire authorities. I don't think anyone would create such huge mess for nothing, something happened that day, he got <deleted> and he spoke out.

Barnes is a menace to all farang in thailand. He's one of the lucky few still here and knows the difficulties everyone is facing and he does this. The koh Chang hotel have been very kind. He simply has to face up to the fact he is a liar, the damage caused has gone global the bookings this hotel have lost will amount to millions. Change of name required or on the other hand farang in thailand could turn this into a spectacle of pure love for Thailand and go there in there droves get photos post them and show solid support for a hotel who stood up for themselves and acted in the interests of there farang staff and the livelyhoods of there employees.

Just Uturn the barnes history and make it into something good.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/8/2020 at 10:46 PM, warcy said:

The hotel did the right thing by suing him for defamation. 

Immigration should have banned him from entering Thailand for being a mischief. This is to teach similar behaviour in the future.

People here always complain about Chinese tourists behaviour but never bad American behaviour like being loud, demanding and deliberating causing mischief.

I am American and I complain about American behavior all the time. That's why I moved to Thailand - to get away from America and Americans. That said, there are overwhelmingly more Chinese people than Americans in Thailand, so the bad behaving Chinese are going to get more attention just by the numbers alone and nothing else. On any given day I may go out in Bangkok and see not a single American, but dozens and dozens of Chinese tourists, out of which several may be  impolite and rude. So who am I going to complain about? Hope this makes you less confused.

Just now, balo said:

He is a convicted criminal!  Why is he trying to make a living in Thailand? 

When did that stop anybody?

Asking a question like that shows a sense of naivety.

Convicted drug dealer a gov minister is one of thousands of examples.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, balo said:

He is a convicted criminal!  Why is he trying to make a living in Thailand? 

What you confused about pal. Common sense and experience not in you or something. Is that all you do if you don't like what you read. Bit of try not so hard. Fall at the first hurdle type, cannot handle listening to better points than your own, bit of a baby.

All of the above I'm guessing.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 9:27 AM, spidermike007 said:

The regime has once again decided to protect the bigger guy, over the smaller guy. This will not go over well, internationally. Everyone will see right through this badly engineered PR stunt. When faced with jail, and who knows what else, many of us would prefer to "apologize". 

This is exactly my first thought. Intelligent people (the rest of the world) know this is being done under duress leading to a Thailand self review far worse than anyone else could give. They really don't understand the importance of "Optics" and once again cutting off their nose to spite their face. ????

13 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Good god! He had to hire an attorney? The government should give every foreign tourist and resident a sticker to place over their mouth to make sure they utter nothing vile.

1.  he used his hands and TYPED .... anyhow...

YES!!!!   These farangs are ruining the country!!!  if farangs don't smile, PRISON!!!  if they don't pay 1000 baht a day, PRISON.   if they don't wai everyone necessary, PRISON!!!  Shirts with all their search history.   IF ever seen in Pattaya, report them to the embassy!!!!  Farang...one-way ticket here.   then spend all money, never do anything, and prison until their family pays!!!!  

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I haven't been back in my home country of America for awhile, and haven't kept up with all those new govt agent shows like "NCIS".

But it was on one of those shows, about two years ago, the plot involved them going to Thailand to rescue someone. They warned the agents, "Be careful what you say. There's no free speech in Thailand". I remember this was in the news and created a row with the Thai govt. They totally denied such things, banned the show, and demanded the producers issue an apology.

It's rather funny on two levels. One, they pull their familiar "You must apologize" behaviour. And two, as in this case, what they're demanding the apology for is absolutely true.

And to that I'm having another drink this evening. Cheers, Amazing Thailand. ????

was it Madame secretary?

Maybe it was part a lie from his side that time, but telling now all was a lie surely is a lie of a liar to liars trying too hard to erase some partial lie by making out all to be a big lie only.

Saving face isn't a lie, nor saving ass is a lie. Life is full of lies.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

This is exactly my first thought. Intelligent people (the rest of the world) know this is being done under duress leading to a Thailand self review far worse than anyone else could give. They really don't understand the importance of "Optics" and once again cutting off their nose to spite their face. ????

Well, that is not exactly true. They understand optics. But, only after the fact! They don't have the vision or humility, to even guess how it might play out. So, only after huge international embassassment, loss of face, potential loss of revenue, and alot of egg on the face, they finally see the optics, and how their blunders are playing out to the world. 

This is exactly what you get, when you consistently raid the bottom of the barrel for the choice of PM, ministers and senators. 

The Thai army. A toxic and regressive force, always moving the nation backwards. 

On 10/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, spidermike007 said:

The regime has once again decided to protect the bigger guy, over the smaller guy.

At first I thought that was the case, however that doesn't appear to be the case, I mean he must be a cheap Charlie for not wanting to pay the corkage charge, ok, they let him off with that, but he kept it up and kept slandering the hotel and their staff, now a dog can bark all it wants, but if this dog didn't shut it's gob like this dog didn't, I wouldn't have backed down as the hotel owner, suffice to say, he is lucky the hotel owner did, that said, no doubt the hotel owner was put under a lot of pressure to back down due to the international press coverage put on Thailand as a whole, unfair, but I can respect him for backing down, as for the farang, hope his renewal for a work permit is not renewed down the line, sending him home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

Where you say if the comment os genuine its acceptable .. Lets face it this is Thailand and now the floodgates are open for anyone with a bad comment on trip advisor or social media to cry Defamation, and dont tell me it wont happen lol....Half of the good reports are written by the owners on various accounts. It makes a mockery of freedom of speach to be honest.

only if one believes in all those stupid comments.

On 10/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, Ventenio said:

1.  he used his hands and TYPED .... anyhow...

YES!!!!   These farangs are ruining the country!!!  if farangs don't smile, PRISON!!!  if they don't pay 1000 baht a day, PRISON.   if they don't wai everyone necessary, PRISON!!!  Shirts with all their search history.   IF ever seen in Pattaya, report them to the embassy!!!!  Farang...one-way ticket here.   then spend all money, never do anything, and prison until their family pays!!!!  

It was metaphorical sticker. : )  Yikes, take it easy, I didn't say anything bad about you. 555