American expat avoids jail for negative review - reaches settlement with Koh Chang hotel

webfact

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A hotel already facing challenges due to the collapse of tourism doesn't need a vindictive twerp repeatedly posting lies though. A hotel already facing challenges due to the collapse of tourism can't count on every travel advisory website surfer being as savvy as you suggest they need to be. The Thai-bash is strangely enough a very rewarding activity for some as the 11 pages (so far) on this thread can attest.

The internet is also no place for idiots. My opinion of Tripadvisor isn't the best since most 'advisors' aren't regular travelers. I take this from a review by some earnest but ultimately clueless western visitors to a US-owned burger and Tex-Mex place in Nha Trang, Vietnam. They slated it for it's limited choice, authenticity and comparative cost but rounded out their review with the admission that they weren't actually looking for a burger or Tex-Mex after all.  They were after some classic Vietnamese Phở but, having risen too late, found it wasn't readily available.... so they slagged off a place that they never intended to eat in anyway.

As for jailing as punishment, as totally disproportionate as it is, Thai law allows it.

I agree with what you are say completely

but "A hotel already facing challenges due to the collapse of tourism doesn't need a vindictive manager/owner if they are genuinely trying to keep existing business and bring in new ones"

at the end of the day, the the tourists reputation hurts his feelings and maybe his friends and family, the hotels reputiation can lead to $1000s+ in profits, plus you expect the hotel to act professionally

On 10/9/2020 at 9:13 AM, Solinvictus said:

I too have studied dogs. Sometimes they put their tail down. He works here too though. Damn, they are all about 'making a wrong a right.' Petty, in my view.

But IMO, it is still a big inconvenience to not be able to bring in me own drink.

Of all the restaurants I have visited in Thailand I have never yet had one refuse to let me bring my own wine to drink with a meal.

Some charge a corkage most do not.

We always make a point of asking beforehand as after all it is their restaurant.

I have found them more flexible here than in my own country Australia.

Edited by StevieAus
Omitted a word
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, it is likely they will see a drop in business, hopefully long term. And they will blame it on Covid, or something else. But, the Sea View Hotel in Koh Chang will not soon be forgotten. And the infamy is not the kind you wish for. They deserve it. Not worth pissing off a customer over corkage. It is such a petty thing. 

No the petty thing is to refuse to pay it because you are a bit <deleted>. 

The hotel dropped it from the bill in an attempt to keep the peace. 

The charge is not unheard of, Jools in Soi 4 always had the corkage charge prominently displayed. 

• Like 1

Faced with possible time at a the notorious Bangkok Hilton I would blame the spirit of my dead mother too. International media will see it for what it is. Honestly it may add fuel to the fire that should have been let to burn itself off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, rott said:

No the petty thing is to refuse to pay it because you are a bit <deleted>. 

The hotel dropped it from the bill in an attempt to keep the peace. 

The charge is not unheard of, Jools in Soi 4 always had the corkage charge prominently displayed. 

Is that factual information, or something the hotel has said to the media, in a hopeless attempt to get back some of their ruined reputation, and remove some of the dirt from their faces?

I understand corkage. I am a wine collector, and attend alot of wine dinners in the US. Usually at very nice restaurants. The corkage is something we work out in advance. It is very rare for us to get charged corkage, however we are a large group, and spend alot on food. I get the need for a corkage fee. I truly wonder that their attitude was. This guy could have been a sourpuss, with a bad attitude, or he could have had a very good reason to be as angry as he was. Will we ever know?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Or, alternatively, don't embark on a vendetta of multiple malicious online reviews including fake accusations of slavery  ¯\_()_/¯

Well yes, that would be the proactive thing to do. In this case the offender clearly was not proactive. 

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Is that factual information, or something the hotel has said to the media, in a hopeless attempt to get back some of their ruined reputation, and remove some of the dirt from their faces?

I understand corkage. I am a wine collector, and attend alot of wine dinners in the US. Usually at very nice restaurants. The corkage is something we work out in advance. It is very rare for us to get charged corkage, however we are a large group, and spend alot on food. I get the need for a corkage fee. I truly wonder that their attitude was. This guy could have been a sourpuss, with a bad attitude, or he could have had a very good reason to be as angry as he was. Will we ever know?

and this is where intelligent discretion comes into play, anyone thats intelligent and a good manager/service provider, its really really common sense to a degree

a bottle of wine only serves 5 people , also depends on the number of people, are you a regular? what are you likely to spend on food, what are the implications if you say no, are you likely to get more return business

in this American guy's case he is bringing a bottle of gin, which is 20+ drinks, chances are he isnt eating anything, hes coming in with only 2-3 people, he didnt have dinner at that establishment, hes behaving like a cheep charlie <deleted>,

charging corkage or outright refusal is the first two sensible choices

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LeoCesar said:

I chose to believe the expats story.

I dont believe the hotel story for a minute.

I will treat them like they have C19!

Well, it kind of doesn’t matter, now that he’s confessed, does it?

23 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

and this is where intelligent discretion comes into play, anyone thats intelligent and a good manager/service provider, its really really common sense to a degree

a bottle of wine only serves 5 people , also depends on the number of people, are you a regular? what are you likely to spend on food, what are the implications if you say no, are you likely to get more return business

in this American guy's case he is bringing a bottle of gin, which is 20+ drinks, chances are he isnt eating anything, hes coming in with only 2-3 people, he didnt have dinner at that establishment, hes behaving like a cheep charlie <deleted>,

charging corkage or outright refusal is the first two sensible choices

But, the reality is, we do not have the facts. It could have been a bottle of wine. The patron could have been abused by management and the staff. It is likely the "info" about the corkage being waived is fake news, by management. I am always more inclined to believe a customer, than a hotel. Especially a hotel in this position, that they have put themselves into. There is so little we really know about what went on here.

I will double down here. It was a huge error on the part of the hotel, and total corruption on the part of the police, and a huge over reach on the part of the government for having this law in the first place. Alot of foolishness here, and the Sea View Hotel in Koh Chang is paying the price for it. Hooray!

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

But, the reality is, we do not have the facts. It could have been a bottle of wine. The patron could have been abused by management and the staff. It is likely the "info" about the corkage being waived is fake news, by management. I am always more inclined to believe a customer, than a hotel. Especially a hotel in this position, that they have put themselves into. There is so little we really know about what went on here.

I will double down here. It was a huge error on the part of the hotel, and total corruption on the part of the police, and a huge over reach on the part of the government for having this law in the first place. Alot of foolishness here, and the Sea View Hotel in Koh Chang is paying the price for it. Hooray!

its hard to believe anything from either parties,

i believe its been confirmed its a bottle of gin,

as i previously said, bringing in a bottle of wine is a lot less drama than a bottle of gin

5 hours ago, Silencer said:

I see today....the New York Times, when contacted by him about his "apology", can see through the fog. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/world/asia/thailand-review-american-apology.html

That's hilarious. The news report have painted the hotels management team as absolute fools.

The customer has issued an apology

in a statement filled with stilted official language reminiscent of a forced confession.

“The hotel has forgiven me and agreed to withdraw the complaint,” the statement said. “I would like to sincerely thank the hotel and its staff and take this opportunity to announce this news to the general public.”

Edited by aroiaroi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The review was extreme. And there was obviously alot of animus on both sides. And do we know how the resort really treats their employees? I have seen many Burmese workers here facing significant abuse, condescending behavior and ugliness from their superiors and employers. So, we do not really know. 

But, who really had the most to lose?

1. Thailand and the reputation of Thai tourism. 

2. This resort. Major egg on their face. 

3. In the long run, the tourist lost the least. He will be soon forgotten. Not the incident. 

How on earth would you know the review was extreme, if you were not there.

Even if you were there, people perceive things differently.

Fault lies 100% with the hotel here. Nothing could be more obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

None of which warrants the kind of actions the hotel took in any way shape or form. The vast majority of people reading the reviews and comments would have seen that the reviewer in question was not a reliable source of information, especially when other reviews were taken into account.

Again, 'tis the internet, no room for fragility, face or ego here. 

Only a petulant child would seek jailing someone over something so trivial and petty. 

I used to stay in hotels about 50% of the year until fairly recently and reviews do make a difference when you book somewhere for the first time.  You get to know the reviews that are just bull manure and sour grapes as the reviewers usually fall into a similar category.  For years Trip Advisor didn't monitor the reviews and there were some disgusting examples, including rival hotels and restaurants putting up false negative reviews. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Don Chance said:

You are expected to become Thai, speak the language, learn the customs.  Don't you expect the same from immigrants to your country?

Myself personally don’t expect it ... most of my younger years where spent 

just south of Los Angeles is multi cultural. To me as an American think Non American families are much closer and help each other it’s a good quality..

On the flip side there are many Americans that complain constantly people are people if we learn from our mistakes good...

11 hours ago, Don Chance said:

This is another issue of culture shock. Let's remember why we like Thailand: because it has a different culture. And when in Rome do as the Romans.

Farangs think that the world is like or similar or should be similar their countries, multicultural. But Thailand isn't. It is a mono-culture. You are not invited to immigrate to Thailand. You are not invited to live separately in your own cultural bubble. You are expected to become Thai, speak the language, learn the customs.  Don't you expect the same from immigrants to your country?

Farang should not try and push their culture onto foreign countries they visit. Even if you believe in freedom of speech, freedom to dance naked at a temple, freedom to smoke weed etc. Thailand is not a culture that appreciates individuality. If everyone does what they want then your neighbour become the adversary, this is the chaos we have in the west.

All good points. You've made a solid argument. Now, don't you think it is fair that the rest of the world, especially in the West be made thoroughly aware of the specifics and pitfalls of this Thai "mono-culture?" Seems to me that according to your thinking the BBC, NY Times, Guardian, CNN and others are doing what you want: warning Westerners of how they can run afoul of Thai defamation laws. If anything, Thailand should be happy that the application of their laws to foreigners has been made known through such a high profile event.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sucit said:

How on earth would you know the review was extreme, if you were not there.

Even if you were there, people perceive things differently.

Fault lies 100% with the hotel here. Nothing could be more obvious.

I do agree that the hotel drew first blood, and they deserve anything and everything bad that comes their way now. However, the description of slave labor was a little extreme. Was it not? 

18 hours ago, brakar said:

I'm not so sure. In a few months, this will be forgotten. Maybe some of you living in Thailand will remember it and not visit the hotel. But it seems that some are curious and want to spend the night there. I constantly read in newspapers and watch TV about many tourists who are dissatisfied with staying in hotels in other countries, including Spain and Greece. Tourists do not stop going there for that.

I think many people were unaware of these ridiculous laws that can put you in jail for saying something true about a place or person or business...in Thailand.  I’m not saying this guy did what he did correctly.

That turns some people off, just like the lack of Democracy, racism, human trafficking, can turn people off of a country.

I don’t think anyone cares about the review itself 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1