SURVEY: Majority of Thais don’t want foreign tourist – do you agree?

Scott

Majority of Thais don’t want foreign tourist – do you agree?  

359 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, transam said:

Get out of your office and mix with some real Thai folk who have been financially stuffed...

Trans it does not take a genius to know that those who are working in tourist related area's are not happy. But they are not a majority. My ex wife works in tourism, is now locked in Vietnam. She is not happy about it either. 

But the majority is quite happy that people who come in are screened for covid and quarantined. Nobody wants a new lockdown. 

Maybe you should remember the lockdown and how bad that affected everyone. Its better to have a small number of people suffer then everyone. 

This poll too says that only around 20% wants to let people in without restrictions. The rest is all for restrictions like quarantine.

I say let everyone get in the country that goes through quarantine. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

It's out of subject, but you really think that you will be able to get the special drugs and treatments that he just got?

You realize that some people would have to travel hundreds or thousands kilometers (!) just for a 2-minutes PCR test in an embassy !!!

You have to go the embassy anywhere to get your COE , don't you?

It's better than being send back to your home country if they found out you have the virus when you reach Thailand.

Edited by EricTh

I think Thailand are doing ok with their entry levels

I am 'outside' Thailand, my family are at home in Thailand, I don't expect to see them until well into next year

Due to covid and furlough I have been encouraged to use my holiday through the year, not save some until November as I usually would, understandable from a company point of view, as no value in stretching resource through Nov Dec because too many are 'using up' holiday

That is my personal situation, inflicted by covid and not the responsibility of the Thai government

if my circumstances were different then maybe I would feel differently if I was actually being prevented from entering Thailand by the Thai government, but I am not.

Would the current costs and time consuming quarantine have an effect on my thoughts if I had the available days to allow a break in Thailand? Yes because I feel I can better use the money and wait this out. Again my personal choice, but still allowed into Thailand if I wish to afford the money time and effort

Appears to me that there are those who feel they are missing out and are looking for an easy inexpensive ride into Thailand, it makes me smile when I think of the over used Tvisa cliche "Don't buy rent" - brings to mind another well used phrase "som nam na"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, WhatsNext said:

Just my 2 cents : at the moment in Europe we have a casedemic instead of a pandemic, if you look at germany there are about 10 people per day dying "from covid" or more correctly, there are 10 people per day dying that have covid as part of a whole range of problems with their health. If covid is the cause of death or just adds to it, we don't know.

But even if we keep the number at 10 per day that is still a lot less than an active flu and for Thailand ; 6x less than the number of people that die each day on motorbikes.

So if Thailand can keep the virus under relative control as germany can, we can expect about 6 deaths per day here as Thailand has substantially less inhabitants than germany . 

I think this number is actually be a positive result compared to the excess deaths we have now due to the economic situation and additional suicides. 

I say open the borders, do a check inside Europe and one more here and that's it. Again, talking about europe, for our American friends the story is a little different sadly.

Are you seriously suggesting that ALL Europeans should be welcomed back with open arms, including those hailing from the UK, France and Spain where COVID-19 is rampantly out of control at the present time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Very smug of you to diss other expats that want to enjoy being with their friends gf and in their condo. Selfish on your part but remember you are and always will be a  GUEST of the Kindom.  Same rules apply to you.  More people get killed on the roads in a month than covid. Thats not new 

"GUEST of the Kindom." It's amazing how many people are so deluded they think we are guests here.

43 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Are you seriously suggesting that ALL Europeans should be welcomed back with open arms, including those hailing from the UK, France and Spain where COVID-19 is rampantly out of control at the present time?

Europe looks differently at the pandemic and pays it citizens effected and treats everybody equally not identifing nationalities to satisfy its own exophobia encouraged masses

BUT the way it records will make it look bad

(1) mass testing and tracing (not at airports deemed unrialable)

(2) recording cv19 as deaths even if there was a terminal condition prior

(3) no masks early on and phyical greetings

If retireees who have comentments are not cv19 have ins (alway had) let them back stop the nonsence

Edited by agoodpunt
  • Confused 3

53 minutes ago, EricTh said:
3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

You realize that some people would have to travel hundreds or thousands kilometers (!) just for a 2-minutes PCR test in an embassy !!!

You have to go the embassy anywhere to get your COE , don't you?

No, you don't, or at least not for all embassies.

For France by example, the COE process is made entirely by email.

Foreigners are declined, while the carriers of the epidemic from China are welcomed. Thats really funny.

Thanks China for your wonderful biological super weapon Covid-19. 

... and I'm happy that we were spared all those flu victims ...

Literally don't care if they open up at this point, we are travelling a lot domestic and the hotels are cheaper than ever.... 

We want to buy some more land so the less damage is caused to the economy the better for us... I'll just take advantage of their mess.

Would be good to be able to leave and come back tho if Thailand starts to bore me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, EricTh said:

By email? Then isn't it easy to fake the COE?

I don't know. I didn't try to get a COE this way. But Thai Embassy in Paris is known to be a difficult one, with often rules that no other embassy has, so I suppose they have a way to check the documents sent...? :unsure:

12 hours ago, dapperdan said:

Let me withdaw the funds in the bank, clear out my apartment, finish my dental procedure and they never have to see me again.

Yep, and then return to your COVID-19-infested home country. Way to go!

Edited by OJAS

16 hours ago, agoodpunt said:

Europe looks differently at the pandemic and pays it citizens effected and treats everybody equally not identifing nationalities to satisfy its own exophobia encouraged masses

Unfortunately, the following thread rather dispels your sweeping generalisation, I think:-

Edited by OJAS

I do not think that many farang will come anyway, even if Thailand will fully open .

A new and comprehensive survey by the European Tourism Commission (ETC) from last week, which deals with the upcoming European vacation plans, should be of concern to the thai tourism industry. The survey, which was conducted in the EU countries and included 6,000 participants, shows that about 80% of Europeans who plan to go on vacation in the next six months, intend to vacation in destinations in Europe. 41% of them are expected to go on vacation in their country. This means that relatively distant destinations have emerged from the European equation - which may strengthen domestic tourism on the continent, but is ominous for the thai tourism industry, which is currently in severe distress.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 11:22 AM, spidermike007 said:

Totally disagree. The majority knows how dependent the economy is, on tourism. And the majority know there are safe ways to do this. If only the government would stop with the fear mongering, millions could be allowed to work again.

I agree the economy is dependent on tourism. Bangkok is the most visited city in the world. Tourism accounts for 6-7% of GDP. There is a sea of empty hotels on Phuket and Ao Nang. Imagine developers who can’t service their debt. Imagine the banks with hundreds or thousands of bad loans. Imagine the thousands of unemployed workers. It is inconceivable that the the government isn’t aware of the havoc caused by shutting down the economy. Unless you believe Thais aren’t involved in the tourist industry and the government is unaware of the hurt to a major sector of the economy then it stands to reason everyone wants things to get back to normal. 

The question is what is the safe way to do it? If you agree the USA adopted exactly the opposite approach- are they any better off? Agreed they have limited flights into the US but you are allowed to fly domestically from one Covid hot spot to another. 
This is akin to allowing Burma or Laos or Vietnam or Cambodia to fly freely between countries and reinfecting each other as they do so.  In short, people keep spreading the virus in the USA, the economy is worse off because not only do they have to worry about Covid, the economy is seriously shut down because no one feels safe. Yes the Thai tourist economy is hurting but Covid is under control. I welcome what you consider a safe way to open up the economy  without jeopardizing the progress Thailand has made in containing the virus. I can’t help feeling what you call fear mongering has kept us safe and the laissez faire defiance to social distancing, personal protective gear, and masks, for the ill convinced conviction that these safety precautions impinge on a US citizens personal freedom has exacerbated a volatile situation. Where is the middle ground?

On 10/11/2020 at 10:45 AM, mikeymike100 said:
The common Flu, Influenza, has been around for a long time, since 1580 AD. We have a vaccine for it, but over 1 billion people get the flu per year worldwide and up to 600, 000 die each year worldwide from it. However we have just learned to live with it and accepted that we cannot eradicate it. The Covid 19 is a corona virus similar to the Flu, out of people that get infected, cases, most do not get any symptoms, around, some get mild symptoms like a cold, some get very sick , some die, like the Flu. If you get infected the chance of you dying is 0.2% on average, so 99.8% do not die on average, however the very old and people with pre existing conditions are more at risk, so the death rate for those is higher. We can't stamp out the Flu or Covid 19, we can use common sense so as to not get it, but in the end even with a vaccine we will have to live with it. Can we without ruining the world economy?

Best comment on the covid topic ever on TV. Thanks!

On 10/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, natway09 said:

I cannot understand how anyone could possibly vote for the last option.

The ramifications of open slather tourism at this time could spell disaster & would in the long run be more doom & gloom for this sector

for much longer in the futurs,

I am personally affected in business & feel sorry for this sector's staff & those with huge investments sitting idle

but anyone saying that Thailand will sink without tourism is talking absolute rubbish. Change many tourist places, yes,

sink the economy ,,,,your dreaming

I voted for the last option based on the mortality rate of the covid. It is close to that of the flu. No one ever suggested the use of any means in relation to flu, so why should we with covid? Anyway, a test before departure and after arrival plus max 3 days quarantine would be OK with me, but not more. But this covid is really a peaceful one, and I am so damn tired of the hysteria, so...

• Like 2

The Thai junta has whipped up hatred of the farang amongst Thai people, which

will continue until they have a democracy. The junta cannot be trusted where the

welfare of the farang is concerned. I'm importing the best bit of Thailand into the UK,

the missus.

• Like 1

in one year Thailand's  economy will be devastated and there will be huge huge increase in severe poverty, how do they expect all those people to keep all those hotels, resorts, from going completely broke 

and all those people dependent on the tourist dollar from sinking into severe poverty

your cure is far far worse than the disease 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

6-7%??

I would think 30-40 percent. But hard to measure. Who knows how much tourists are spending while visiting Thailand? But I think 6-7% is far, far, far too low!

Once you seperate domestic tourism from the total, the amount for international tourism is 9.82 GDP source is world bank

https://qz.com/1724042/the-countries-most-reliant-on-tourism-for-gdp/

7 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

I would think 30-40 percent. But hard to measure. Who knows how much tourists are spending while visiting Thailand? But I think 6-7% is far, far, far too low!

Look it up. Thailand lists what each sector contributes to Gdp. I agree 6-7% seems low and the number does seem to be somewhat fluid, depending on which source is reporting.