Thais overwhelmed by rising prices of food, necessities, poll shows

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I don't need to pretend :whistling:

Handling awkward clients (we call one chap Dr No, it's always his first answer) and wayward contractors (usually upsetting Dr No), coupled with moderating you lot I'm amazed I don't have the screaming-habdabs more often.

I love it when moderators appeal for sympathy. It reminds me they are human, all appearances to the contrary.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Crime is going to skyrocket and guess what? Foreigners will be a prime target.

I have just hired a local ex-military driver/bodyguard and I will keep him around for the next year or until the economy improves as I expect things to get really bad in the coming months.

Expansive? Or discount at 6 months in duty?

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I deny this.

Thailand will continue much as it always has.

The weather is much the same every year with droughts, floods and storms.

Land and housing remain affordable for young Thai people.

Prices are unlikely to rise significantly in a country that is essentially self sufficient.

I don't think I have ever seen a wind in Thailand that got much above 25 km/hr, so I agree on that score. They only get the dregs of typhoons etc. here.

My GF is currently eyeing off some land, 300K baht down from 500K baht. Sorry teerak, the ATM doesn't have big bills. Thai guy in debt above his ears.

Having said that, I would not be buying property in Bangkok. Unless they copy the Dutch, IMO it will be under water in 50 years.

the future doesn't look (rose) very good

Thai economy slips into recession after worst quarter in eight years

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-economy-gdp-idUSKBN22U0BJ

<<<<Link to Bangkok Post removed:>>>>

https://www.focus-economics.com/countries/thailand

https://www.marketscreener.com/news/latest/Thai-business-group-keeps-GDP-forecast-but-upgrades-export-outlook--31495582/

Edited by metisdead
26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications.

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

I might be wrong (often am) but all this all seems to stem from a lack of competition and/or cartels operating freely to fix prices. 

Five or six big (Chinese?) families seem to be running the whole show, screwing Thailand for all it's worth.

It's pretty much the same in every country (but not necessarily Chinese)...sorry to break it to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I deny this.

Thailand will continue much as it always has.

The weather is much the same every year with droughts, floods and storms.

Land and housing remain affordable for young Thai people.

Prices are unlikely to rise significantly in a country that is essentially self sufficient.

Another truth bomb lands on "the sky is falling" crowd.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

We use Makro quite a lot only a mile away, recently a lot of things are reduced we use Olive oil a lot 50% off last week on one brand and then Baked Beans 3 tines for 60 baht I already say packets of cheese I like was buy one get one and discount even in Tops the discounts are there shampoo buy one get one the wife said you dont use that brand, I said I do now

Olive oil is one of the world's most adulterated food products...especially the cheaper brands. I hope that "olive oil" wasn't 50% olive oil ????????????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

My Makro has started to cut prices on a number of farang items. Shock, Gasp, Horror. Regular brands of olive oil and wine vinegar are reduced, significantly. I assume, to sell old stock, & not buying replacement. High end is still the same price, but the tamada bulk brands bought by restaurants and hotels.. That market is gone. Shocking to see in Thailand, but it is a chain store. 

Would point out distilled white vinegar is about 10bht/ltr in Makro.

It all tastes the same on my chips.

Not sure really poor people in our village are being helped a lot. 

This must be working class who have high expenses in the way they live and where they live. 

My Mrs ain't complaining nor am I, beer still 48 for a large bottle  ????

Some foods items are to expensive and always have been here.   I used to Buy butter in Oz for $10 a kilo but here it's $20 a kilo.  Pork shoulder we use for dog meat price up 50%.  We buy around 5kg a month for the k9 friends.  Not many specials....either In Big C, Lotus or  Makro. 

20 hours ago, connda said:

Maybe you'll get a loan if the trillions of dollar being pumped into the banks actually get distributed to where it's needed instead of into the pockets of the bankers themselves and their corporate friends who use that money for stock buybacks instead of capital improvements and capital reserves. And what is the massive injection of capital going to do?  Make-prices-rise-even-more! 

Ah, yes, I remember how that happened last time, after central banks started pumping money into banks after 2008: hyperinflation, massive price increases by a thousand percent, I had to transport bank notes in a wheelbarrow to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

Inflation will really take off soon. The Central Banks around the world have increased the money supply by 50%. Where do you think that extra cash will end up?

Are you Generation Z?

Where it ended up after 2008: higher stock prices, whereas food prices and consumer goods rose by less than the 2% annual target set by most all central banks. 

Well, the price of pork has risen. Rice too. Perhaps not on fruit and vegetables. I am being told by people in the market. Inflation is a logical result of the political and economic situation. But the baht it seems will remain strong, I am sorry to say. Wish it would drop by 6 to 8 percent. At least. There are people who argue that real estate sellers have dropped the prices of new condos by 50 percent or more because they want to sell now, because getting some of their costs back is better than getting nothing later. Which, it could be argued, equals a devaluation of the baht - in a sense.

8 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

the poor should get an unconditional basic income guaranteed by the government

Tried that In the West and look what it got us; 2 and 3 generations of good-for-nothings sitting on their behinds waiting for the dole, compliments of those who were taxed to the teeth as a thank you for not being one of the lazy ones. 

What's that saying again? Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him how to.... 

Handouts simply make people lazy and reliant on the next free money. I believe the best way forward is to give these poor people skills and an education that will get them decent paying jobs, here or abroad. 

21 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Crime is going to skyrocket and guess what? Foreigners will be a prime target.

I have just hired a local ex-military driver/bodyguard and I will keep him around for the next year or until the economy improves as I expect things to get really bad in the coming months.

He will be the guy to keep an eye on..

Edited by bobbin

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My misses has 35 rai up in Nan 15Km from the nearest paved road .............. almost worthless. 

Paved road all through the village. I have no idea what land is worth in Thailand, but as I can't own any I have no interest in the prices.

the GOOD thing, i think;

rice is at 10 baht.  it's NOT going to 11, 12, 13, or 14 baht.   take too long to give change, need calculators.  s.  lol.  

so if we get inflation at the local market, it's going up from 10 to 15 to 20.  

and that's not happening on my watch!!!!!  

it's all in the PORTIONS.  now a bag of fruit for 20 baht isn't a good deal, so you have to buy the entire pineapple for 25 baht.  lol.  but that's a pain to cut.  

there is inflation, but there are still many placing selling cheap food

before it was IMPOSSIBLE to pay rent like a Thai.  Now it seems pretty common.  

Well, OK I'm in a hotel.....but well.... ok, i'm talking out of my butt.....anyhow, seems like rent is cheap  

9 hours ago, simon43 said:

The idea is not to look rich....  I look and dress like an impoverished tramp and found that absolutely every local gives me a wide berth... ????   Pretending to be mentally unstable also helps a bit.

Me too.

Imag1.jpg.831be40e58efcd0945ca8ffde6503e6c.jpg

21 hours ago, Blumpie said:

The pain has only just begun and look at it.  It's mid October.  There will be another year of this before it begins to slowly improve, and that's the best case scenario.  

Let's hope that I'm wrong.  

bojo and i were expecting 2021 to be rosy but now i am not so sure after tedros comments on no herd imunity and antibodies dont last long..due to the yank that had 2 doses of covid ..it all hinges on how vacinnes play out in 2021

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

This must be some other area of Thailand, Chiang Rai is very cheap. Rents have tumbled, a kilo of mangos in season was 25 baht. Most fruit and vegetables are inexpensive.

IMO prices are not rising, it's unemployment and underemployment that is the problem. No income, no money for food.

I was talking with a caddie at one of the golf clubs here. Pre-pandemic, she was making 8000 - 10,000 baht/month. Now, 2000-3000. That's underemployment.

Chiang Rai , Caddies ,  whatever next . 

Lotus , 7 -11 , Makro ...

Some fifteen ago , loved it .

Top North in Chiang Rai , the only accommodation option , or caves ...

I was the only handsome farlang there .555

Then came the sex tourist's ..

Time changes everything , sadly not for the better ...

Edited by elliss