STV gloves off!: Confusion reigns as gung-ho tourism minister and foreign ministry contradict each other

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Rather like a Roman emperor with his finger pointing up or down, the Thai people could decide the issue for the bigwigs in what has now become a political hot potato. 

there was a chipshop in my town called Roman's if they are bringing tatty's into it  .. 

As for the " warring " parties I say chuck 'em in the Colosseum and let loose the lions .. first one to run is the loser .. and a chicken ...

• Haha 1

the Thai people could decide the issue for the bigwigs in what has now become a political hot potato. that will be a no then.

its funny how on here i see posters slagging off the thai government which dont get wrong is defo right but they seem to forget is the majority of thai people dont want us back in,including thais who work in tourism.  bloody hell even krabi and phuket people didnt want us back and the majority of them work in the tourism industry, that tells ya the feeling among thais about us coming back

no different than the western fights between economists and health officials except that in Thailand's case 1000's of people didn't have to die. In the western situation thousands died and they're still arguing about opening bars, restaurants and schools. Even mass death and overwhelmed health services isn't enough for them to be schooled, oh well, maybe the winter from hell will open their eyes..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

They will be locked up in a 14 day quarantine but the TAT will come up with some nice activities so they don't get too bored. 

Yeah right...

I mean just how many in-room massages can a tourist take before THAT gets boring?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This glimmer of hope for the start of foreign tourism was in stark contrast to a BEC Tero report quoting Pipat and Yutthasak who continued to insist that their STV (special tourist visa) plans were all systems go.

I think Phipat should be asked to consider early retirement and save what's left of Thailands tourism image...

which is diminishing rapidly every day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

This Certificate of Entrance, (COE), could prove a little confusing:

76 years ago, I was initiated into the Church of England, (CoE

In the late 80s, I required a Certificate of Exemption, (COE) to enter the Sultanate of Oman.

My daughter came home from school on Saturday with a Certificate of Excellence, (COE).

It also means, according to Google:

Council of Europe, Corps of Engineers, Center of Excellence, College of Engineering - together with another 60+ meanings 

Try slapping all of those in front of the Immigration Officer at BKK airport!

"Take your pick, Sunshine!

I’m sticking with the Olympian Sebastian COE. Perhaps he could get in just by showing his surname on his passport? ???? 

The more I learn about this STV, the less sense it seems to make. Why can the Thai government not make any clear statements, with rationale? Instead we get daily garbage...each day another bit of news that doesn't fit with the previous day's news. Surely someone government has the figure for how many have applied; how many are coming and on what dates? I am sick of this drivel so that Mr Pipat Tat can save face for a stupid idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is unfortunately a disease of wants and not wanting that the current Thai Government has.  They want to be seen as being responsible but at the same time they are not wanting to truly commit and loose a fake reputation they have given themselves.  So either way they loose, and so do the folks who should be back here with their family and friends, or living in their properties, and driving their vehicles.  Walking the garage here in my condo, there are many undriven newer cars that have a thick layer of dust and dirt built up covering the entire vehicle.  It sucks to see a several million baht Mercedes, BMW, and Volvo sitting and collecting dust, not to mention they have not been started or driven in approximately 8 months.  You have to wonder what the folks who they belong to are thinking. This Government needs to realize that they are just hurting themselves worse when they play the stupid games they are playing.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

What if you're a UK passport holder that lives in a low risk Covid country? I'm curious because guessing some ex pat's left Thailand to visit another country got caught up in the lockdown - are they allowed in or if you're a UK citizen all tarred with the same brush 

15 hours ago, madmen said:

So this is the Thai 7 day version of quarantine which is still 14 days same same but different? 

Exactly this is what they want. They want foreigners stay longer in hotel. Why ?? Because that is the only way how they force foreigners to pay more in order to boost the economy at the moment.

23 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

STV and whatever outlandish schemes they can come up with are just a reflection of the amazing Thai arrogance and ignorance of the outside world. They seem to believe that their country is so attractive that people would accept weeks of bureaucracy, maintaining bank balances, queue up for flights and end up in quarantine just to come to a place which has little to offer besides sleazy fun. While there are so many other, easily accessible, more COVID compatible, places to have the healthier kind of FUN.

The government must now accept the consequences of the (good) isolation policy they have chosen early in the crisis, stick to their gun, and manage the inevitable damage, near destruction, to one of the largest sectors of the Thai economy.

True.