Immigration Website - Really?

Oxx

It does not play automatically! Even if it did, you can just touch on or click on the screen to stop it. 

Guess the line of complaints was short today.

Ok, it is playing automatically and can not be stopped in the english version. However, not much to complain about. Will not eat much bandwidth, at the same time as you will not stay on the first page too long.

Edited by Matzzon

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

Who thought it was a good idea to put a full screen YouTube video which plays automatically on the home page?

They seem to have swapped out the distracting background video now for a static image. The site is still trying too hard to be modern and hip for my taste.

I'm just glad most everything is in Thai language even when selecting English language....wouldn't want to put Google Translate out of business.  I just love the Google Translate translations as some of them are actually kinda close for those webpages that Google Translate can translate.

• Like 1

When you go to the section which says find an immigration office" it says "This page cannot load Google Maps correctly". 55 55

Even though I selected English it show the addresses in Thai. Why bother? 

I was in IT for over 30 years and was renowned for my "user friendly" programs. Thai immi sites are "farang" intolerant.

I get the impression that 90% of the program testing must be just in Thai.

9 hours ago, tgw said:

Also, local webmasters that are paid peanuts (because I guess the police bosses here still don't take working on a website seriously) try to cut as many corners as possible and post a lot of text content in Thai languages as images, making machine translation impossible.

There are several "PR" public relations governmental sites, that like to package information as mini-posters. If one site is just copying the artwork provided by another agency, it can insert a link to that image. But if new content is being created, you have to write (and spell check, and fact check, and ...) that content, then convert it into an image, so it is then more work to use a picture.

There are optical character recognition programs that try to convert a picture back into text. But many Thai letters have only tiny differences from other letters, which get lost in the "modern", swooshy fonts the web designer always picks, and so an OCR program produces garbage Thai text out of the picture, which Google Translate then butchers. The 7-11 and Makro cell phone apps are particularly hideous, this way.