No casualties as four-storey building in Nakhon Ratchasima catches fire

rooster59

No casualties as four-storey building in Nakhon Ratchasima catches fire

By THE NATION

800_d91547e1f0284ea.jpg

An apartment in Nakhon Ratchasima province caught fire early on Saturday, but there were no casualties, police said.

At 3.45am, Sawang Mettathammasathan rescue team was informed that "Saeng Tawan Apartment" in Muang district was on fire. The four-storey apartment had 52 rooms and 35 residents.

A fire alarm alerted residents but they said they could not find an exit due to the smoke that spread in the building. So, they decided to climb to the fourth floor and gathered on the balcony to shout for help.

Five fire engines were sent by the local government to put out the fire. The rescue team approached the building from a narrow alley to help the trapped residents.

Twenty-one residents were admitted to hospital after choking in smoke.

An inspection pointed out that the fire originated from a room where the control panels of electricity and TV cables were situated. Initially, this incident was caused by a short circuit.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396704

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-25

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

No fire exit signs, no emergency lighting welcome to Thailand rule No1 familiarize yourself with the fire exits 

Exit signs and lighting are often disabled or blanketed by smoke in a fire... planning at least two escape routes was what I was taught by a fire station.

In our apartment building all emergency lighting is at ceiling height, no exit signs at all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ChipButty said:

No fire exit signs, no emergency lighting welcome to Thailand rule No1 familiarize yourself with the fire exits 

Not only in Thailand. When I was on the road I always used to find the fire exits at every hotel in every country I worked in.

Fortunately here at home there are only 2 floors, so the max drop is only about 4 metres.

I used to be very familiar with fire regulations in the UK and Europe, apart from using fire retardant materials the general idea is to stop the spread of any flames or fire, 

One example that I know of here is a condo block, lets say there is about 100 units in one block there is one lift next to that there is a staircase come fire exit but it is open plan no chance of stopping a fire especially if doors and windows are open on the upper floors normally the roof top doors are open just causes a draft.

If you manage to get to the ground floor there is one single door to cope with 100 units, ok not full all the time but this door opens inwards all fire doors are meant to be pushed out, no fire extinguishers on any of the landings,

This building is only 3 years old