Thailand to track tourists with digital wristbands

rooster59

On 10/31/2020 at 7:45 AM, cyril sneer said:

they'll test it on tourists first, then make expats who never left wear them 24/7

Might cut out the ninety day reporting and the change of address requirement's, though they would make a huge sum of cash from the ones misunderstanding their always confusing laws, that are 'changeable' per district.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely agree.

I suspect someone in a position of decision making power is thinking he can push this through he will proffit from the procurement of these Xiamomi Smart Band’s which usually sell for about 1000 baht, but I’m sure the government could buy them for 2000 baht a piece from the right importer !!!

Realistically - track and trace using these bands will only work when synced to a smart phone. The bands are completely superfluous to the whole practice of ‘track and trace’.

So when someone goes for a bonk in Soi 6, all they have to do is switch it off.

32 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

People on retirement and marriage extensions are treated like real criminals anyway with this ridiculous 90 day reporting.

I think of the immigration officer as my parole officer for crimes yet to be committed.  Generally I don't comment on some things regarding immigration in Phitsanulok as I generally get a fair go there but a few years ago I drove to Phuket for my sons wedding.  On the last day I realised I needed to be at immigration next day for an extension.  So I headed out early and we drove and drove and drove stopping once for fuel and a peee.  I got to Bangkok and I was knackered so we made our way to the IBIS Hotel in Sathorn where we usually stay and got a room.  Despite being krap next morning we got a taxi to Laksi and went to immigration to report.  Turns out the beast from hell works there and we got her as our contact.  After a lot of talk we got told go to Phitsanulok.....  I had stomach trouble and we stayed 2 days which put me behind. The third day we drove to immigration in Phitsanulok.   We explained our predicament but the reaction we got would be like if I had just run over the head monk!  No sympathy what so ever.  And that's when I was told I would have to pay a fine for being late.  If I had been jacking off I wouldn't complain but I was sick.  Apparently I should have gone to a doctor and got a letter stating my condition.  We went to a pharmacy and got the drugs!

2 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I think of the immigration officer as my parole officer for crimes yet to be committed.  Generally I don't comment on some things regarding immigration in Phitsanulok as I generally get a fair go there but a few years ago I drove to Phuket for my sons wedding.  On the last day I realised I needed to be at immigration next day for an extension.  So I headed out early and we drove and drove and drove stopping once for fuel and a peee.  I got to Bangkok and I was knackered so we made our way to the IBIS Hotel in Sathorn where we usually stay and got a room.  Despite being krap next morning we got a taxi to Laksi and went to immigration to report.  Turns out the beast from hell works there and we got her as our contact.  After a lot of talk we got told go to Phitsanulok.....  I had stomach trouble and we stayed 2 days which put me behind. The third day we drove to immigration in Phitsanulok.   We explained our predicament but the reaction we got would be like if I had just run over the head monk!  No sympathy what so ever.  And that's when I was told I would have to pay a fine for being late.  If I had been jacking off I wouldn't complain but I was sick.  Apparently I should have gone to a doctor and got a letter stating my condition.  We went to a pharmacy and got the drugs!

Excellent story, about five years ago I went to Phitsanulok immigration to do a 90 day report and was asked about my wifes employment, I asked him what this had that to do with this 90 day report. He then looked at my passport and accused me of having a 25 day overstay.

I then stood up and pointed at him and said I was not, but I would go to the ATM and get 20.000 Bt for him, he then said follow me, took me to an office, then returned immediately, handed me my passport and said, you come back again in 90 days, not even an apology.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

What about the professional footballers in the UK who got the virus and are now playing again after about four weeks?

Or the tennis players who played in New York, then Paris, then all over Europe and are due in London for the season ending event.

Some had the virus and are playing just as well as before and no quarantine or lockdown for them either

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nong38 said:

Another reason to find another destination, why are treating potential visitors so badly, making them feel like criminals?

They are used to making people feel like criminals, 90 day reporting springs to mind.

On 10/31/2020 at 1:52 AM, CharlieH said:

Wonder what bizarre price the Govt will be charged for these devices and who is owning or has interest in that company. Usually an envelope involved when stupid things like this emerge. You can bet someone is rubbing their hands together.

Personally, i'm wondering what bizarre price we will be paying to rent for the duration of stay. Lol

In the west we track dogs and cats. What a stupid idea to track people under the guise of stopping some  virus?

Big brother on holidays ? Give it break Thailand. Next some clown will suggest everyone must wear hazmat suits.

15 hours ago, connda said:

I seriously wonder when the Eye of Sauron is going to turn in the direction of long-stay expats like those of us married to Thai women.  Give it time for the nationalistic xenophobia to really start percolating to the surface.  In the meantime I know 5 guys from the US who are established businessman who have been travelling to Thailand annually for years.  We've been in touch.  Thailand is probably off their itineraries unless "new normal" returns to "old normal" but none of us see that happening so I doubt they'll be returning in the future.  Especially with US citizens who tend to balk at things like being monitored just like criminals.

Not such a big deal for the Chinese and maybe the Aussies or other countries where the citizens pretty much accept "big brother" authoritarianism as normal and no big deal. 

Image2.jpg.047e5c271b3b48aa0527d1b0274df472.jpg

I'm from the UK and have never accepted big brother, and never will, I have broken much more laws in the UK than in Thailand, have never been in jail or have a criminal record. Have never done anything detrimental to ordinary people. So big brother ##@@!!!

13 hours ago, Ketyo said:

If people are in quarantine for 14 days how does this help.  It will only find people who have caught COVID at the quarantine hotel. And there are better ways to stop people catching it in the hotels. Like not letting people mix. And it will put tourists off for sure. The only tourists who would accept this will be Chinese. Since they are monitored by their government anyway. Tourists from normal countries will not accept it.

I think that the two week millionaires who cannot get laid in their own country will all pour in when the quarantine is lifted, even if they have to wear a bracelet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, onebir said:

There's no tracking like this in China! (Well not as of last year, last time I was there, but hotels etc do need to report foreign guests to the police very promptly.)

Would anyone really want to holiday in China if they know about how the Chinese behave in Thailand.

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Well we have 90 day reporting, being treated like criminals, so why not the wristbands?

Exactly.  We are treated like criminal parolees who are required to report to their parole officers on a regular basis. And now with the advent of 'technology' many of those parolees are required to wear GPS monitors.  So yes.  The next step in the advancement of draconian measures aimed at foreigners should be mandatory GPS-wear (ankle-bracelets, wrist-bracelets, etc).

The difference between a Thai national who commits a crime, is imprisoned, and is released on parole and a foreigner?  Eventually the Thai parolee is seen as having paid back society and at some point in time the requirements for reporting, tracking, and monitoring are removed.
Foreigners?  The requirements for reporting, tracking, and monitoring are never, ever removed.
By extension it's easy to see that the Thai government views foreigners as a greater danger than Thailand's worst criminals.  That's pretty freaking sad.  But it's the truth of it.

• Thanks 2

Thailand to track tourists with digital wristbands

Only a military brain could think of such a thing. And a very small military brain. No wonder the Thai people despise the government so much. At least we are lucky. We have alternative places to live. 
  • Like 1