MG scraps plan for 7-Eleven charging stations

webfact

MG scraps plan for 7-Eleven charging stations

By THE NATION

800_4d5d6189a8928e9.jpg?v=1604307222

The MG auto brand will set up more than 400 charging stations for electric vehicles across Thailand next year – but has scrapped plans to install them at 7-Eleven stores.

MG Sales (Thailand) said that 100 charging stations will be ready nationwide this year, mostly at MG service centres. Another 400 will be constructed in 2021, located at filling stations, department stores, and shops.

However, MG said it would not be installing stations at 7-Elevens, despite the fact that both the auto brand and the convenience stores share the same parent company – Charoen Pokphand Group.

MG said “technical problems” prevented installation at 7-Elevens.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397199

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-02

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Yes, you may run over a lying dog at the entrance ????

That's because they use them as they don't have any "concrete" sleeping policemen, but many living ones!

Edited by fangless
  • Haha 2

Can someone please tell me where you can park at a 7-11.  There are no parking lots as far as I know.  Most vehicles park at the curb or double park as they run inside.  Most trips to a 7-11 take no more than 5 minutes or so, and it would take more time to hook up the charger.  Logistics, yes I just name a few of the issues, so a Technical problem must be no space to make a charging Area.....doh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fangless said:

Quite right too!!!

How the hell did they think you could drive an MG into a 7/11?  

It's bad enough trying to walk into a 7/11, never mind drive in!

Easy done mate,  just a slight slip up can happen to any car or pick up. :stoner:

7.PNG

Edited by quake

2 hours ago, jastheace said:

not all 7/11's are along soi buakhao.

being serious though, many gas stations, like PTT, have 7/11's, space to park and charge , and capable power supply, so i imagine it would have been located at places such as these. some out of town 7/11's also have limted parking space for cars/pickups.

i do see your point though.

I was thinking around the Rama 4 road area, and Sathon.  But you are right I forgot about the PTT gas stations, or the others that have them within the property, and then along Mitrapap 2 and the major highways.  There would be a need along those routes for travelers who were going from one city to another and would take a break to rest.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, jastheace said:

not all 7/11's are along soi buakhao.

being serious though, many gas stations, like PTT, have 7/11's, space to park and charge , and capable power supply, so i imagine it would have been located at places such as these. some out of town 7/11's also have limted parking space for cars/pickups.

i do see your point though.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I was thinking around the Rama 4 road area, and Sathon.  But you are right I forgot about the PTT gas stations, or the others that have them within the property, and then along Mitrapap 2 and the major highways.  There would be a need along those routes for travelers who were going from one city to another and would take a break to rest.  

There are also 7/11s in central Pattaya with car parking spaces. I can think of about a dozen built in the last 2/3 years or so. One is actually close to Soi Buakhao at the bottom of Soi Excite. :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

My guess is the "difficulties" in getting  access to the area outside the 7/11's at the prominent Fuel stops. A conflict of business interests? But unlikely to ever have considered the street side shops.

Now we're getting somewhere. Some readers mentioned the lack of parking. That leaves the stores at petrol stations. So maybe the technical issue is that they couldn't find a way to guarantee that there will be no sparks that could ignite fumes from fuel. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Can someone please tell me where you can park at a 7-11.  There are no parking lots as far as I know.  Most vehicles park at the curb or double park as they run inside.  Most trips to a 7-11 take no more than 5 minutes or so, and it would take more time to hook up the charger.  Logistics, yes I just name a few of the issues, so a Technical problem must be no space to make a charging Area.....doh!

There are plenty of 7-11’s around with 4-5 parking spaces in front. I don’t think the space is the issue.

I suspect the issue is more to do with car’s taking the space up for an hour or two while charing, whereas the spaces are needed for customers to park for 5mins while shopping.

The perfect spots for charging stations are at Shopping Mall Car-Parks and Gas Stations (for quick charge). 

The whole globe is a long way off from fully independent EV’s at the moment - unless your office and home is set up. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

Now we're getting somewhere. Some readers mentioned the lack of parking. That leaves the stores at petrol stations. So maybe the technical issue is that they couldn't find a way to guarantee that there will be no sparks that could ignite fumes from fuel. 

Thats not really an issue, otherwise ‘powerful cars’ would be prevented from filling up at Gas Stations. 

There’s usually plenty of space at a Gas Station for an EV charging station - the issues are far more likely contractual than anything else. 

A Petroleum company is unlikely to install an EV charging station unless it is thought to be profitable. Currently it's not, thus it would require government subsidy or a subsidy from a car manufacturer to kick this along. 

• Like 1